cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AGEIA PhysX

XBrookieX
Level 7
Having the 128 MB original before NVIDIA bought it, my old pc with SLI was mind blowing, yet now with just 980gtx SLI its not as good on PhysX as before.
would a card install drop my x16 bandwith SLI if installing a dedicated card and using SLI with a 256 cheapo card for PhysX? as its proven better than CPU, that's why Nvidia caught on and bought the company and technology. I have 2 8800 gtx cards spare yet 1 alone with all my setup would need a new power station to run. Batman Origins Bench test is surprisingly good to let you know your machine doesn't pull a minimum of 60 FPS+ for an old game on full wack unless your using a dedicated card. Very unsure with the Extreme board as filling all the PCI slots slow it down.
Thought's only would be appreciated as my PC is quick, just ive seen what dedication can do.
Is it worth 1 card for PhysX and 2 for SLI on the Rampage board and if so What's now the best card for PhysX without too much power overall?
PhysX doesn't surprisingly need a super GPU or CPU,
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15

XBrookieX
Level 7
Dedicated card with SLI is surprisingly better on several motherboards that's why the option is in the driver. Ark ham city scarecrow nightmare is prime example of the difference. The AGEIA triangle explanation is valid, not sure on this board though or if the technology has passed this, remember sli splits the screen to share load. 50/50 graphics on sli and 100% dedicated Physics card reduces load on the two cards. Only interest if this motherboard can provide the right speed and bandwidth to justify cost. (remain x16 sli)
EVGA did this very well on the old 790 yet a pain to get stable. if its no longer required why is option still in driver?
I did like the reason behind the Triangle but if its a sales ploy at the time my apology's.

Korth
Level 14
128MB AGP GPUs and PCI PPU cards were leet gear many years ago, but graphics cards have evolved through half a dozen generations since then.

Ageia was bought by NVidia in 2008 - native PhysX support is now embedded in all NVidia GPUs. Hacks exist to allow PhysX support on ATI/AMD cards.
Havok FX was bought out by Intel - they shelved it but Havok SDKs (useful for a few titles, notably the Half-Life series) are still available.

A dedicated PhysX card will actually slow games down unless it has speed/power comparable to the primary GPU(s). Just linking another identical GPU in SLI will generally provide better overall performance. No doubt you can use an older NVidia card for dedicated PhysX and see some gains on some game titles - if you already have a spare - but it's not worth buying one when you can instead drop in another GPU.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
128MB AGP GPUs and PCI PPU cards were leet gear many years ago, but graphics cards have evolved through half a dozen generations since then.

Ageia was bought by NVidia in 2008 - native PhysX support is now embedded in all NVidia GPUs. Hacks exist to allow PhysX support on ATI/AMD cards.
Havok FX was bought out by Intel - they shelved it but Havok SDKs (useful for a few titles, notably the Half-Life series) are still available.

A dedicated PhysX card will actually slow games down unless it has speed/power comparable to the primary GPU(s). Just linking another identical GPU in SLI will generally provide better overall performance. No doubt you can use an older NVidia card for dedicated PhysX and see some gains on some game titles - if you already have a spare - but it's not worth buying one when you can instead drop in another GPU.

I'm not going to bother adding a card for physx, thanks on explanation. It would be nice to see the technical explanation on how Nvidia do it now like the explanation Ageia provided to sell there cards and idea.
I can see this happening again though just like the PC onboard sound, didn't take long before the sound card add on was made.,