Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblebob View Post
    I explicitly bought it for being able to output multi-channel audio over SPDIF via DDL and axactly that functionality is broken now (and probably will never be restored).

So you payed the premium (mainly) for the ROG branding and for the analog components used in the Phoebus en then you (mainly want to) use it to throw DDL over S/PDIF..... now THAT is completely beyond me.
    You can get DDL over S/PDIF with the Xonar DX for less then 1/3 of the price of the Phoebus with the added bonus that the DX is supported by the UNi Xonar driver project. The Phoebus is dead in the water if you ask me. Since were talking digital signal here quality of the components is also a non issue. All though the DX is not all that bad to begin with considering its price point.

Digital lossless multi-channel audio from a PC is only going to happen over HDMI which you don't need a sound card for in the first place.
    I'm confused about your wishes/desires for a sound card and the sound card you eventually went for.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Tuoni View Post

So you payed the premium (mainly) for the ROG branding and for the analog components used in the Phoebus en then you (mainly want to) use it to throw DDL over S/PDIF..... now THAT is completely beyond me.
    You can get DDL over S/PDIF with the Xonar DX for less then 1/3 of the price of the Phoebus with the added bonus that the DX is supported by the UNi Xonar driver project. The Phoebus is dead in the water if you ask me. Since were talking digital signal here quality of the components is also a non issue. All though the DX is not all that bad to begin with considering its price point.

Digital lossless multi-channel audio from a PC is only going to happen over HDMI which you don't need a sound card for in the first place.
    I'm confused about your wishes/desires for a sound card and the sound card you eventually went for.
    Personally, I use this card for gaming/movie/tv watching through my TV and surround sound receiver (which doesn't have HDMI in it, so optical is my only way to input sound from the card to the receiver directly), use the analogue outputs to my PC surround sound for music while working or game playing if someone else is using the TV, and the Headset/Mic controller for conference calls as I work remotely. This card was supposed to be able to allow me to do so with the best sound quality, and is what sold me on getting it. Now, I only get Stereo to my surround sound for movies/tv/gaming, and if I switch to the computer speakers, half the time it remaps sound to the incorrect speakers and I have to retoggle output to get it to work correctly.

The lack of DD via optical is extremely frustrating right now. I have a pretty decent PC, and had looked forward to WIN10 and the DirectX12 side of playing new games at a higher quality level, but the sound issue is really pissing me off. How can we be 3 months into WIN10, and a higher end card that's still being sold has only beta drivers that wipe out an important feature of the card? Asus usually markets themselves towards quality instead of price, so it is surprising that they have so many issues maintaining the relationships with the customers by delivering what is needed for their products and what they are advertised as being able to perform at a slow pace or not at all.

What would be most helpful is a clear communication as of status of getting everything up to speed, and some proactivity towards helping the customers.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Anyone got news?

New ROGer Array

I have my Xonar Phoebus changed with a Creative ZxR, under Win 10 does the new card with perfect 5.1
    feel with the Phoebus since I left windows 7 away fooled by asus...

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by tempodan View Post
    What would be most helpful is a clear communication as of status of getting everything up to speed, and some proactivity towards helping the customers.
    Asus has not done that for the past 10+ years and as far i i know/see there are no signs whatsoever that is going to change anytime soon.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array oG kill3r PC Specs
    oG kill3r PC Specs
    MotherboardEvga Z97 Classified
    Processori7 4790k
    Memory (part number)G.skill Trident X 2400 32gb
    Graphics Card #1Evga Titan X
    Sound CardSound Blaster Z
    MonitorAsus VG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 250gb SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 512gb Pro SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseCorsair 760T
    Power SupplyEvga 1300 G2
    Keyboard Corsair K70
    Mouse Evga Torq X10
    Headset Sennheiser PC 350 SE
    Mouse Pad Corsair
    OS Windows 10 Pro

I've run out of patience no more xonar phoebus ! Creative soundblaster X7 ordered today !

New ROGer Array

Asus makes me so angry wiht their support team or lack thereof

Quote Originally Posted by oG kill3r View Post
    We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get the sound card working right ! The latest 8.1 sonic studio driver sucks !
    Agreed and thanks for you guys posting the workaround if it wasn't for ya'll i wouldve reinstalled my creative card...matter of fact i still may b/c im selling this piece of garbage...it couldve been so darn good!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
    Most of the features are junk to supplement otherwise crappy computer speakers. The most useful features are Dolby Digital Live, the headphone amp and that broken ability of EAX to go with it (which is kind of useless because it doesn't really work like it should). Straight from the mouth of a guy serious about audio. The latest drivers for Windows 7 with the Sonic interface messed up the sound very bad (loss of bit-perfect signals from WASAPI interface) when I installed them earlier this year, I rolled backed to the older driver.

Uninstall:
    01. Uninstall everything and restart the system.
    02. Run CCleaner.

Manually install the driver:
    03. Go to the download page and choice Windows 7 64-bit.
    04. Download driver "Version 7.0.1.35" 2014/02/08 "WHQL" to your desktop and unzip it in to a new folder.
    05. Go to settings, Devices, and open device manager.
    06. Under sound, video, and game devices click on High Definition Audio Device.
    07. Click the driver tab and choose update driver and have it search the directory you unzipped. It will find it and install the correct driver.

Enable protected audio so surround sound works in the Netflix app:
    08. Open regedit.
    09. Under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>Cur rentVersion>Audio" create a key called "DisableProtectedAudioDG".
    10. In the newly created key on the right side of the window click on default and set this value to 0.

This is how you manually install it. To manage various features, right click on the speaker icon on your taskbar click the appropriate end point you wish to manage and this also works on input devices in the recording tap. This basic interface is universal across many Windows computers.
    Playback devices = outputs [Speakers | Headphones | SPDIF]
    Recording devices = inputs [Desktop Microphone | Line In | Aux In]

NOTES: Dolby Digital Live doesn't work but there is some free applications that might be able to encode it when watching movies, I haven't really dug deep in to this. If you were using the Sonic Interface version it never was included and is an obvious regression anyway. Installing Dolby Profile will cause problems with applications. This is just the basic driver itself.

WARNING: This may not work for everyone, but it works for me on my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit upgraded computer.

P.S. I'm waiting for a driver that isn't crap and will thoroughly check it for faults, the above is good enough for me at the moment.
    Just wanted to say thank you for the workaround. Its sad that you have to do this while asus sits on thier asses as usual.. I have to many asus products but I think this is going to be the last. regardless ...good job and thank u

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by oG kill3r View Post
    I've run out of patience no more xonar phoebus ! Creative soundblaster X7 ordered today !
    If you're going to drop that much money on an external solution you might as well buy something different that is actually good and worth that amount of money... good luck with creative support and drivers. A quick read learns that Creative is not all that much better, if at all better, then Asus when it comes to support and decent (Windows 10) drivers.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array oG kill3r PC Specs
    oG kill3r PC Specs
    MotherboardEvga Z97 Classified
    Processori7 4790k
    Memory (part number)G.skill Trident X 2400 32gb
    Graphics Card #1Evga Titan X
    Sound CardSound Blaster Z
    MonitorAsus VG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 250gb SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 512gb Pro SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseCorsair 760T
    Power SupplyEvga 1300 G2
    Keyboard Corsair K70
    Mouse Evga Torq X10
    Headset Sennheiser PC 350 SE
    Mouse Pad Corsair
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Tuoni View Post
    If you're going to drop that much money on an external solution you might as well buy something different that is actually good and worth that amount of money... good luck with creative support and drivers. A quick read learns that Creative is not all that much better, if at all better, then Asus when it comes to support and decent (Windows 10) drivers.
    Thanks and yes I have done my research . I actually got try out the X7 (windows 10 driver) before I ordered it for $100 off and it kills the phoebus . Go look on all the forums and see how many people are over this JOKE !

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast