cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Gen Intel

cuniac
Level 7
Has anyone heard any dates on when Asus will start putting the 5th Gen intel chips into their ROG laptops? I see some other companies are starting to, but I really want to buy a 17inch ROG. The current ones are very nice, I just don't want to buy one and then the 5th Gen Intel Model comes out.
9 REPLIES 9

lmujaj
Level 7
so you;re telling us that 4th gen example 4860,4870 , 4710, 4720 are not good enough for you ??
you cant even use 50% of that power dude .. and doesnt need to w8 the 5th gen , example 3820qm its much better than 4700.... and i can give you more examples if you want to prove that new gen doenst mean always better processor..

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well yes but then you'll be worried about the 6th gen LOL you can never keep up unless you buy a new one ever 6 months to year. LOL
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well yes but then you'll be worried about the 6th gen LOL you can never keep up unless you buy a new one ever 6 months to year. LOL

lol, the Intel socket specs rate the gold plating for only 15 insert/remove cycles. That's 8 processors in, 7 out = 4 years worth of buying a new processor every six months!
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

cuniac
Level 7
I'm sure the 4th Gen is just fine and I don't expect a huge performance gain. However, the 5th Gen uses quite a bit less power than the 4th due to the shrinking of the chip. Also, 5th Gen Intel chips open the door for people to start using DDR4 in laptops. And yes, the 6th Gen is not going to be a huge jump in performance either. However, it will support Thunderbolt 3 that allows for External GPU connectivity. So more we can start seeing more "Graphics Amplifiers" that are non-proprietary and do not have any bottleneck as it supports up to 40Gbps. But I'm not waiting that long lol

perantau
Level 7
Instead of worrying about Intel 5th gen., better you worry about Nvidia Pascal GPU. I myself just bought Asus laptop with 4th gen. cpu, I'll not feel down because it just generally lower power usage for me...

perantau wrote:
Instead of worrying about Intel 5th gen., better you worry about Nvidia Pascal GPU. I myself just bought Asus laptop with 4th gen. cpu, I'll not feel down because it just generally lower power usage for me...

Omg, how did I not know about pascal... 10x performance increase?!? So, if that's accurate, with the 980m pulling 92FPS in bio shock infinite the pascal might pull 900FPS.... Can you imagine what that will do to any game. Pascal is 4K!!! Ok I'm probably over hyped by the this, but it is pretty cool.

Yes then all you have to do is wait for the next generation of G notebooks should be this fall seems they update the machines in the fall
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes then all you have to do is wait for the next generation of G notebooks should be this fall seems they update the machines in the fall

I'm going to die laughing if they release a 17" 4K laptop. Seriously, I will suffocate and sh!t myself 😄
ASUS G751JY | i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M | 16GB RAM | M.2 SSD + HDD | WIN 10

what do you mean the G751 already have the 4k screen. And Asus has been upgrading every fall to winter every year. G75VW then G75VX right into G750 and then G751 2012 through present
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro