cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g74sx-a1 560m too 580m graphics upgrade

ALkaLiine
Level 7
Is it possible to upgrade the GTX 560m mobile graphics card/chip in my g74sx-a1 too a 580m GTX by myself, I've been looking around and I haven't found anything yet, except that it is possible in the Alienware mx17 or one of there labtops but that didn't help too much.
Would appreciate all help regarding this,
8 REPLIES 8

X-ROG
Level 15
No sorry. It's not as simple as a drop in replacement due to screwhole changes/heatpipe+cooling upgrade/power delivery/BIOS support. But most importantly getting access to that area is impossible as it will require completely dismantling the G74. We've got an upgrade guide publishing on Monday for the G74 that'll show you the limitations of what you have access to.

Okay thank you, I've been searching for a while and you've seemed to give the best answer so far. I guess those are the limitations you get when purchasing a laptop computer.

JRd1st
Level 12
The 560m is soldered into the g74 mainboard so changing it is virtually impossible for the user.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Do the next best thing to new hardware...overclock the old hardware! You can squeeze many more MHz out of the GPU and DDR5 memory using a util like MSIAfterburner. OC'ing my 560M in my G74SX (Core -> 850 MHz, memory->1700 MHz) sent my WEI from 7.2 to 7.4.
Of course watch your temps...and be aware that OC'ing voids your warranty (which you would have done anyways if you could change out the GPU with the 580!).
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Do the next best thing to new hardware...overclock the old hardware! You can squeeze many more MHz out of the GPU and DDR5 memory using a util like MSIAfterburner. OC'ing my 560M in my G74SX (Core -> 850 MHz, memory->1700 MHz) sent my WEI from 7.2 to 7.4.
Of course watch your temps...and be aware that OC'ing voids your warranty (which you would have done anyways if you could change out the GPU with the 580!).

Sorry to revive such an old topic but I just wanted to know if you (fostert) found that OC'ing your 560m to the above stated settings actually did much at all for performance? Did it make much of a difference at all, for example did it make enough of a difference that games that may have been unplayable in the past were now playable due to the OC'ing of your 560M? Or did you only gain a small boost of 1 to 3 or so FPS ?

TKS
Level 7
Noob question alert!

Would it be possible to change the motherboard itself to a non soldered GPU slot?

TKS wrote:
Noob question alert!

Would it be possible to change the motherboard itself to a non soldered GPU slot?

Nope. The motherboard is custom designed to fit the chassis. This common for all notebooks.

Doan
Level 8
From my experience as a Dell warranty tech, laptop motherboards are designed for specific laptop model cases. Which means that the ports must match up with the case exactly, certain sections of the motherboard need to be cut out to make room for things like the optical drive in specific locations. The ports and cutouts of laptop motherboards are different for every model, so unless Asus releases a more friendly upgradable motherboard, then probably not.
Hi, I'm Dan.