cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx, am major floop pf Asus,failed in any way

mzonexy
Level 7
It's time for asus to wake up, what are you doing right now?You call g74sx a gaming laptop? joking, A gaming lap should have high end graphic and not fixed graphic, the cooling and big body is really over kill in this model, look at alienware, exchangeable graphic 6990 or 580m, even msi know using 580m, what are you trying to use? 560m? this model, is only mutimedia hub!Look at what asus doing in other hardware, asus tring to promote a moster inmage, but, what about this model, it is only a mainstrem pc,asus have that ability creat a big moster gaming rig?why not?Asus now is the last company dis not provide a real high end gaming laptop, samsong has 6970m, msi have 570m and 580m, clevo and alienware is much more better, what a shame, I was really regreate buy this model.
69 REPLIES 69

Stringy31
Level 7
Cheeping out on the keyboard *squeak* *squeak* and touch pad as well. Also I agree with you the cooling on this machine is a bit overkill...

BrodyBoy
Level 10
mzonexy wrote:
what a shame, I was really regreate buy this model.

It sounds like you don't like anything about it, and that it doesn't meet the specs you want in any way.

So the obvious question is: why did you buy it?

BrodyBoy wrote:
It sounds like you don't like anything about it, and that it doesn't meet the specs you want in any way.

So the obvious question is: why did you buy it?

Heh, I must agree with Brody here, why the hell did you buy it then? Before I made my decision I read many articles about this machine, and especially these rog forums here.
By all means it's not the best machine out there, but I can tell you what it is compared to the others, it's the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK. Want an alienware? Go buy one then, just remember to add some extra $$$ on the top there. If somebody is a gaming enthusiast, a laptop is not an option, or at least it would not be my option since with the price of G74SX you can get a pretty heavy equipment tabletop rig.
I paid 1400€ for mine, and the alienwares start up from 2000€ I think. Not going to happen.

Im playing with my G74SX with GPU 930MHz, and memory 1700MHz, put some take some.
I know that's faster then the 570gtx with default clocks, don't know how it compares to 580, don't care.
Still best bang or the buck.

I wanted a desktop replacement so I don't need to reserve any room from my house to the computer, I can take it from the shelf when kid's are sleeping and put it anywhere I want, on the table, on a chair sitting comfy on the sofa some woods in the fireplace etc... I love this thing, and it has the power of a small village.

I'm not even going to start with the cooling, how is it overkill? I bet it's the best out there. Keeps things cool and quiet.
*** G74SX-TZ226V (European model) | Kingston HyperX SSD 120gb Sata-III
"STOCK" BIOS 202 (If it's not broken, why fix it.) *** <- Sold 😞

We are different, I don't know too much about laptop hardware, this is my first laptop, I choose the brand what my friends use . Iknow, I am understding the graphic now, the review did not tell any drawback of graphic crad.

JRd1st
Level 12
Isn't the G74 the first in the g series without upgradeable graphics and with a gimped bios setup? Just wonderin'...
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

mzonexy
Level 7
The reason why I bought this machine , my friends get a very old asus laptop,he told me, that asus laptop has a very good quility, stable, and so on, ok this laptop is not cheap ,$2400 in au , in the same time ,alienware is $2400 also, but alienware has 6990m!!! I read a lot before I make my choice, I don't know too much the difference of the mobile graphic card, I n my mind , may go with quility, unitl a nother friend got alienware 6990m , I was realize, the gap is so huge!, both asus and alienware has same quility,same price. The difference is so huge when battlefiled 3 running, alienware is the big bang foe the $2400 in au, know I know what is the graphic gap, I just saying , why asus did not go make a really powerful laptop, they have the ability?

380mcn
Level 9
research research and market analysis.. that's you should have been doing instead listening to your friends.

option 1. i wanted an alienware m17x with the ati6990. it costed 2400eur and they don't sell it here in portugal, i must buy it in spain.
option 2. msi rig with gtx570m (2% better than 560m) and cpu i7-2630qm(worst than the 2670qm i bought) keyboard is worse, but touchpad and soundcard better (5.1) than the asus. price? 1850eur
option 3. clevo 2670, 32gb RAM 1800mhz, ati 6990 or gtx580m, or dual 6990 or dual 580gtx. prices from 2400eur to 5100eur

what did i buy?: the g74. it costs 1700eur. i regret the touchpad and the flicker on the screen.
should have i bought other? no.. the msi has its own flaws, and alienware is waaaaayyyy expensive for portuguese/iberian and even european market.

it's only a question of numbers. if THIS LAPTOP would cost more than this 1700eur i would never bought it because yes it's underspec. The alienware is way better than the g74 in EVERYTHING except one thing.. price!

If that's not your case.. if prices are the same where do you live, once again.. ..you should have been doing some research.

Anyway I order m18x for 2700 austrilian dollors, 2760/8g/6990CF/750G/ in powernotrbook, going to sell 74

ok, For me aliware with 6990 and g74sx, same price in Austrilia, the only difference is 74 has 3D