Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaMan View Post
    I just couldn't help myself. I Decided to order 32gigs (4x8gigs @ 1600mhz) dimms. I'll let you guys know how these perform when I get installed and tested. If it works, awesome. Either cases I'll let you know. 16 gigs @ 1600mhz isn't a big upgrade from the previous configuration with 12 gigs @ 1333mhz I gotta agree. With 32 gigs @ 1600 mhz that will certainly make a difference on operating large images and some other stuff I'm working on and other stuff that I still have to figure out. So far I'm in for the 32gigs @ 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance challenge
    I don't know what programs you run that use that much RAM, but hey, more power to ya! But just a couple reminders:

Only Windows Pro, Ultimate, or Enterprise will use more than 16Gb of RAM, so if you currently have Home Premium, don't be alarmed if you install the RAM and it only reports 16Gb. Just do the Windows Anytime Upgrade if you need to upgrade your Windows edition....it's the quickest, easiest way.

Also, the RAM will run at 1333MHz, not 1600Mhz. That's built into the G74 BIOS, but so long as the RAM is good (and Corsair generally is), it should be stable at 1333MHz.

ROG Member Array

Yup, I knew about that windows HP issue, upgraded last evening for ultimate, the price difference between Pro and Ultimate was 20$, so like the usual "why not?" poped up, I decided to go for it. I had a little problem as win 7 HP wouldn't upgrade to ultimate with the full install DVD... go figure. Even the guy at MS tech service told me to do a clean install. Untill I decided to reboot and it upgraded from HP to Ultimate in less than 10 minutes.

As for the dimms I bought they claim that these are plug and play and they should clock their way up to 1600mhz. We'll see on Tuesday when I get my stuff delivered, installed and tested. I think that I've read somewhere on this thread that someone upgraded his laptop with 2x8gigs of the same ram, and that the dimms clocked @1600mhz, but because of his other old ram he was downclocked @1333mhz.

I can remember back in the days when we were running windows stuff with 8MB of ram and that other guy that was working with 32MB of ram he kinda like payed 1200$ to get that much ram in his PC back then. Crazy to see the evolution over 15 years or so. With 32 gigs I will mainly use high end 64bits graph and cad applications, and I know that it'll just be faster to accomplish my work with that much ram in there. I'm just stuck with that old mentality that a lot of ram is never enough. I'll see. I almost forgot, what application would you suggest to test these ? Thanks.
    Did the ram tweak, and got downclocked

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

As for the dimms I bought they claim that these are plug and play and they should clock their way up to 1600mhz. We'll see on Tuesday when I get my stuff delivered, installed and tested. I think that I've read somewhere on this thread that someone upgraded his laptop with 2x8gigs of the same ram, and that the dimms clocked @1600mhz, but because of his other old ram he was downclocked @1333mhz.
    Corsair is good to deal with in case they don't clock up to 1600 (which seems likely since you're putting in 4 SODIMMs); theres lots of tremendous help on their forums (asktheramguy.com) and they most likely will offer you an exchange or refund if they can't get 'em working to your satisfaction and the rated spec level.

I can remember back in the days when we were running windows stuff with 8MB of ram and that other guy that was working with 32MB of ram he kinda like payed 1200$ to get that much ram in his PC back then. Crazy to see the evolution over 15 years or so. With 32 gigs I will mainly use high end 64bits graph and cad applications, and I know that it'll just be faster to accomplish my work with that much ram in there. I'm just stuck with that old mentality that a lot of ram is never enough. I'll see. I almost forgot, what application would you suggest to test these ? Thanks.
    Yeah, I remember when RAM for my 386 was up to $100 per MB! There was some fire in a RAM factory in Asia somewhere in 1993 and the price of RAM skyrocketed then. The 386 came with 1MB and Windows 3.1 thrashed and hashed on boot and with every click, but then I upgraded to 4MB and wow: what a speed increase!

Test the hell out of those new sticks of yours with memtest86+ (4.20). Download an ISO (http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20...6+-4.20.iso.gz), burn the image onto a CD and boot off it: let the testing run for 3 complete passes. If any errors are found (even just one) Corsair will replace them. They are that good!
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    Corsair is good to deal with in case they don't clock up to 1600 (which seems likely since you're putting in 4 SODIMMs); theres lots of tremendous help on their forums (asktheramguy.com) and they most likely will offer you an exchange or refund if they can't get 'em working to your satisfaction and the rated spec level.
    That's good to know, so far I've been browsing around and have gt new stuff that I didn't knew about SSD's.

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    Test the hell out of those new sticks of yours with memtest86+ (4.20). Download an ISO (http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20...6+-4.20.iso.gz), burn the image onto a CD and boot off it: let the testing run for 3 complete passes. If any errors are found (even just one) Corsair will replace them. They are that good!
    All good, I wanted to make sure that memtest was kind of the most reliable free option out there. So far the sticks are still in New Jersey, so like I know the customs to retain stuff just for the sake of it, I do not expect these to get around my spot before next Friday, sucks I hope they'll be around before they get the 2000mhz 16 gigs pnp sticks out

Thanks for the help Fostert.
    Did the ram tweak, and got downclocked

New ROGer Array

how do I upgrade the memory chip to 16GB

Hello.

I have a factory 8GB memory on my machine, I bought two 4 GB sticks, when I installed them the laptop does not start, so I took one stick out with 3 of the 4GB sticks and the machine starts, the laptop is upgradable to 16GB, so what am I doing wrong?

I have a quad-core 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 2630QM CPU up to 2.3GHz , an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M GPU, a 1TB hard drive, a B of RAM., its upgradable to 16GB but why am I getting no start.

if anyone can shead light on this I'd be greatful.

Thanks.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asus3208 View Post
    ...I have a factory 8GB memory on my machine, I bought two 4 GB sticks, when I installed them the laptop does not start, so I took one stick out with 3 of the 4GB sticks and the machine starts, the laptop is upgradable to 16GB, so what am I doing wrong?

I have a quad-core 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 2630QM CPU up to 2.3GHz , an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M GPU, a 1TB hard drive, a B of RAM., its upgradable to 16GB but why am I getting no start...
    Welcome to Forums, asus3208.

Are the two 4 GB sticks you just bought, the same brand/model with the other two stock
    4 GB sticks in your laptop? Different brands of RAM sticks mixed together (even if they have
    the same configurations), could be quirky. But sometimes, they could work well together.
    (I currently have 3 x 4 GB ASint and 1x 4 GB Kingston.)

The ideal for RAM should be that they're all of the same brand/model.

Another thing is that perhaps one or more of the RAM sticks is/are faulty.
    So, I suggest you read over fostert's #73 post once more and use that
    Memtest86+ to test your RAM modules.
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

+1 to Pilgrim...

You'll want to focus on the two sticks you just bought, so boot the memtest86+ CD with 3 of your four sticks installed, and let memtest run for 3 passes (probably take an hour or two...). If no errors then do the same with the other new module installed in the same slot. If no errors still, then test with the third RAM stick installed in the opposite slots. This will help you identify the faulty stick, if any.

If at any time memtest86+ reveals an error, you have a case for an RMA with your memory manufacturer. All good companies will gladly replace RAM sticks for you should you get one that produces such errors.

It could also be that one of the pins is not making contact in the slot. Switch the 2 new sticks around in the slots, and try different combos will all four sticks. It may actually start working fine, in which case it was just a bad pin connection.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

ROG Member Array

Hi forum, being reading threads on here for a while and looking at peoples input. Got to say fosterT wins hans down!

I'm in Thailand training and bumped in to a lad with a G74sx, I was like wow I want one of these. So for the last 6 months I've been trying to buy one with the right spec, then the G75 came out and would like to ask the board for their input on a few things to help to decide which to buy.

Should I buy the G74 or G75? Is there that much of an inprovement? Does the G75 operate memory 1600 with 32GB?

I was hoping for something a little lighter but wont be moving around with it a lot, however are there other better options with the same spec?

I'm going to buy used. The price for the G74 is like $700 for a basic model. Is there any models I should avoid or better models I should look for(buying on eBay :/). I'll be upgrading it no matter to SSD & 32GB[/I]

Not being an avid 3D enthusiast, is there any other point in buying a 3D model over the standard?

I've done research already on the majority, would just like to hear other peoples positive opinions.

Do people see any improvement in the SSD over the 7200 rpm drive provided?

Wow, my first post and a million questions. Your either going to love me or.. :/ hate me.

Regards

ROG Member Array

To add to the last thread. I know you can use another external screen with this.. can I use 2 external screens?

Regards

ROG Member Array

:/ forgot.. WiMax! Do I need it! Lol I know it's 4G for cell service however I know there was an option on upgrading to a better wireless adapter. A friend told me that was its only flaw and he'd wished he bought the upgrade.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8