cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g74sx sata 6gb ssd

thehacker17
Level 7
I order a vertex 3 90gb sata 6gb from newegg. is the g74sx work with 6gb sata. and should i use uefi and gpt with windows 7 or mbr:cool:
8 REPLIES 8

ricksaint
Level 8
thehacker17 wrote:
I order a vertex 3 90gb sata 6gb from newegg. is the g74sx work with 6gb sata. and should i use uefi and gpt with windows 7 or mbr:cool:

The G74sx does support SATA III.
But why would you buy a Vertex 3 built on a probem-prone Sandforce controller? I suggest a Crucial M4 (reliable but a bit pricier) or Intel 510 series (reliable but a lot pricier). The OCZ is cheaper but not a sure bet as far as reliability is concerned.
Asus G74SX-DH73-3D, Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bit - 14gb of RAM,
Clean install on 128gb Crucial M4 SSD + 750gb WD 7200 rpm HDD for storage,
Blu-ray™ ROM/DVD±RW combo drive, 3 GB (dedicated) NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 560M graphics, driver v. 285.62, 3D Capable.
BIOS ver 203

ricksaint wrote:
The G74sx does support SATA III.
But why would you buy a Vertex 3 built on a probem-prone Sandforce controller? I suggest a Crucial M4 (reliable but a bit pricier) or Intel 510 series (reliable but a lot pricier). The OCZ is cheaper but not a sure bet as far as reliability is concerned.

+1 (or +2 with Carlos' vote!)

I'm usually reluctant to trash brands I've never used myself, but I've read a few too many owners' posts complaining about OCZ's SSD performance, reliability, and customer service. So I have to concur....it just doesn't seem worth the risk to me. Neither Intel nor Crucial drives seem to get those same kinds of complaints.

i order the ocz because I have a vertex 3 60gb for my desktop and had no issues and they have update the firmware for the drive.
the prices is good

thehacker17 wrote:
i order the ocz because I have a vertex 3 60gb for my desktop and had no issues and they have update the firmware for the drive.
the prices is good

That's cool. Your experience counts for more than the random chatter of those of us who've never owned one. 🙂

The important thing is that your G74 does support your new SATA 3.0 SSD. I hope it works out well like the one in your desktop.

Carlos_F
Level 8
I would also go with the Crucial M4. It's what I use, and it works flawwwwleeessssllllyyyy. None of the issues that a lot of OCZ drives are reported to have, and none of the issues that even a few intel drives have. Overall, Crucial and Intel would probably be your best bets, just like Ricksaint said above me.

thehacker17
Level 7
Thank for the help but should try the uefi with windows 7 or use the normal

thehacker17 wrote:
Thank for the help but should try the uefi with windows 7 or use the normal

Hopefully, JR will weigh in on this. I don't use UEFI myself, but he says he has gotten better performance from his SSD by using it.

JRd1st
Level 12
I was getting only SATA II speeds (< 300 MB/s) when checked with Crystal Disk Mark and couldn't get DIPM set on in Intel SSD Toolbox, so this is what I did. (And don't ask how I figured this out because I have no idea) ; I went into the BIOS and turned UEFI on, then went into windows and I installed Intel RST, did a restart, then I reinstalled the chipset drivers with the -overall switch, did a restart.

After that DIPM shows itself on and I got >425 MB/s with Crystal Disk Mark.

I have no idea if the above makes sense but it worked and I still get >425 MB/s (but don't use a disk benchmark too much on an SSD as it isn't good for the SSD)

I also use PerfectDisk 12.5 SSD optimize mode
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com