Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

As of 1/20/2012 my unit is still at the repair center awaiting a part. I was told on 1/18/2012 that the unit was currently being serviced. At this time there are no details available as to what part they are currently waiting for.

ROG Member Array

As of 1/24/2012 my unit is still at the repair center awaiting a part. This is business day #11 and #12 if you don't count Martin Luther Jr. Day.

I left ASUS, please contact cl-scott Array

geek15, sent you a PM asking for more details so we can get this taken care of ASAP

ROG Member Array

As of 1/25/2012 my notebook is still at the repair facility and is currently awaiting a replacement motherboard. This is business day #12. Mason is currently in the process of contacting the technicians to see what can be done.
    Last edited by geek15; 01-31-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Year is 2012 not 2011.

ROG Member Array

As of 1/27/2012 my notebook is still at the repair facility and is currently in the repair stage.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrsplmr View Post
    I have yet to see an issue once brought to light not be resolved as quickly as humanly possible.
    I see @geek15 is now in his 4th month on his 4th RMA for a 4th motherboard replacement to resolve his initial video issue.

I can't see how this is being resolved as quickly as humanly possible.

Look at the numbers - 3 faulty motherboards in a row? Where is the "rock solid" ASUS hardware?

@geek15 has a legitimate beef and his post "Notebook Shoppers Be Warned: Asus RMA: A Bad Experience" is not a flame, but a valid warning.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 01-29-2012 at 07:19 AM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

dstrakele...always a pleasure....

since this 'video' issue is so wide-spread and it is so
    common for all laptops to need 4 motherboards for a video issue...
    I can see how this would have been considered not a flame (originally geek-you have been
    more than patient and respectful since--we still thank you--)

There is an issue..... i doubt very much that it is 4 in a row faulty motherboards...
    do you?
    There is a problem in the rma/repair departments...no question..what it is...is a mystery to me..as of yet.
    So if it is not 'owner' error .... and it worked when it left the repair shop...( or did it?) q.c.? (quality control)

So yes..no disrespect meant to you dstrakele... i know you have great love for the G..and work as hard
    as any to help anyone that asks..............lets look at the numbers.
    how many sold ? over 1 million for sake of argument... 20Million motherboards last year.. havent seen a number on laptops.
    how many defective?
    how many rma?
    how many are actually a 'bad RMA experience'?
    how many were Never resolved?
    how many..since you have been here...have rma'd....that were real rma's.
    this is the stuff that starts a RMA stampede like the crossHair V .... mostly unwarranted.
    You know the 'actual' issues as well as anybody... is it the motherboards? sony didnt think so.
    is it the onboard gpu's....that everyone is having problems with?
    keyboard, keypad, backlight, fn(to keyboard issue) and sound................ i have read them all. every one of them.all.
    It didnt take that long, really. Now...that all said......

Asus....please.....throw his laptop on the pile..and send him a new one...or really fix this one....lets move on.
    from what i understand....Mason is on this... this will not ship again until it clears his desk... those that have
    been in a RMA with Mason know what I mean.... that step is done..then he takes 10 more to be sure.

With 10-16% unemployment in the U.S.... why are these people that are responsible not among them.
    So... I guess I proved your point dstrakele... didnt mean to... but there it is..
    We know the hardware IS 'rock solid'. (Multiple World Records)
    We know that when they are returned from RMA many are the same (as above) or damaged..
    some....actually are fixed.
    Clean house Asus........we beg you. Employ only those that have the taste for ROG that we do.
    Those paycheck collectors gotta go. Do your job or explain to your children why they are hungry.
    Thanks d++ ................. and geek....sorry bro. MASON !!! Help! please.

The title, sadly for now, is accurate with the addition of 'can be' a bad experience as humbly stated
    as humanly possible...hehe.c.

[[ How about a 'work bench' sheet included in the return listing work completed and signed ? ]]
    Last edited by chrsplmr; 01-29-2012 at 03:36 PM.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Area 66's Avatar

The title of the tread is perfect. Let's face it Asus Notebook RMA is a nightmare. As much as I like ROG PC components, I will never purchase an Asus notebook ...... I use only Dxxx or Apple for my notebook, I recommend them to my customers ( they have purchase hundreds of them) we never experience such issue. I have one customer who don't listen to me and purchase an Asus last year, after 15 days the dam thing go RMA. Of course they are not gaming notebook , This tread confirm me what I tough since a long time. Purchase a simple notebook for general usage and build a Powerful PC for gaming and more demanding application.
    My 17 years old NEC Laptop is still working flawless since day 1 …..
    Last edited by Area 66; 01-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

I've thought some more about this issue. It could be possible that only the 3rd motherboard replacement is faulty. There isn't much to troubleshoot with a faulty LAN port. It could be a driver problem, but when you RMA, you immediately get the ASUS Factory Restore, complete with drivers for all hardware - so that 3rd motherboard was bad.

However, I don't get much confidence in the hardware from @Grnfinger, who is defending ASUS in this thread, yet posts- "I had a similar issue with a Maximus X38 board.. Asus had it forever, sent me 2 faulty boards." He is satisified because ASUS sent him an upgrade. That's fine and good if that is how ASUS wants to resolve problem issues, but I think @geek15 should then have an upgrade in his hands now, rather than still waiting in the 4th month for another repair.

The problem could be that the original issue (BSOD on playing HD video) is mis-diagnosed, that it is not a hardware problem related to the the display adapter, but perhaps a hardware problem related to some other component. It could possibly even be a software problem, where 2 conflicting drivers on the system are causing the BSOD.

Perhaps more troubleshooting needs to be done on @geek15's system. In fact, I recommend to @geek15 that he immediately test his system upon return WITHOUT INSTALLING ANY SOFTWARE. If the BSOD on playing HD video persists, open a thread in the G Series Notebook Forum and let's do some troubleshooting.

It is VERY possible for a bad HDD, with a corrupt file system, to cause a BSOD when you view HD videos. It can also result from bad RAM, or a bad power supply. The issue need not be confined to the display adapter.

BSOD's also often result from 2 conflicting drivers, particularly from applications that install kernel mode drivers, such as Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, and Remote Access softwware. That is why I recommend attempting to reproduce the issue without installing ANY new software.

I can imagine, that in order to cut costs, ASUS needs to get the RMA systems out as quickly as possible, probably with a minimal repair staff. I imagine the RMA techs don't have time to diagnose a problem, but also don't have time to test their repairs either.

I want to sing the praises of ASUS as much as anyone, but stories like this make that impossible.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 01-29-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    I've thought some more about this issue. It could be possible that only the 3rd motherboard replacement is faulty. There isn't much to troubleshoot with a faulty LAN port. It could be a driver problem, but when you RMA, you immediately get the ASUS Factory Restore, complete with drivers for all hardware - so that 3rd motherboard was bad.

However, I don't get much confidence in the hardware from @Grnfinger, who is defending ASUS in this thread, yet posts- "I had a similar issue with a Maximus X38 board.. Asus had it forever, sent me 2 faulty boards." He is satisified because ASUS sent him an upgrade. That's fine and good if that is how ASUS wants to resolve problem issues, but I think @geek15 should then have an upgrade in his hands now, rather than still waiting in the 4th month for another repair.

The problem could be that the original issue (BSOD on playing HD video) is mis-diagnosed, that it is not a hardware problem related to the the display adapter, but perhaps a hardware problem related to some other component. It could possibly even be a software problem, where 2 conflicting drivers on the system are causing the BSOD.

Perhaps more troubleshooting needs to be done on @geek15's system. In fact, I recommend to @geek15 that he immediately test his system upon return WITHOUT INSTALLING ANY SOFTWARE. If the BSOD on playing HD video persists, open a thread in the G Series Notebook Forum and let's do some troubleshooting.

It is VERY possible for a bad HDD, with a corrupt file system, to cause a BSOD when you view HD videos. It can also result from bad RAM, or a bad power supply. The issue need not be confined to the display adapter.

BSOD's also often result from 2 conflicting drivers, particularly from applications that install kernel mode drivers, such as Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, and Remote Access softwware. That is why I recommend attempting to reproduce the issue without installing ANY new software.

I can imagine, that in order to cut costs, ASUS needs to get the RMA systems out as quickly as possible, probably with a minimal repair staff. I imagine the RMA techs don't have time to diagnose a problem, but also don't have time to test their repairs either.

I want to sing the praises of ASUS as much as anyone, but stories like this make that impossible.
    Testing I think I've already done more than my fair share. Even the drivers originally installed can produced this problem along with newer versions. I searched through my Event Logs and determined the error code that caused the BSOD which I've researched that seems to lead to a hardware based problem.
    Last edited by geek15; 01-31-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast