cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pagefile and SSD + HD

MPerni
Level 7
Hi!! Today i was looking some info about pagefile, and some ppl said that it´s not good for an SSD to leave it with pagefile activated, some others saying that you have to leave it with more or less 20% in the SSD and the other 80% in the HD, and some others said that 100% should be in the HD.
I have an m4 256 SSD and the WD 750GB from the notebook, 16gb of ram (That should be (if doing x2), 32768 to put it somewhere), i use it most of the time for photo or video editing and 3d. The OS and Programs are in the SSD and the Data (videos and stuffs) are in the HD.
Ppl said that SSD will die sooner if you leave it activated on the SSD, how much years would that be?? Probably in 2 years i will change the laptop for another one, so i don´t care if the SSD will live just 3 years (just throwing numbers, don´t know how much would it be).
Should i leave it all inside the SSD?? All In the HD?? 20% 80%?? I´m confussed!

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

ricksaint
Level 8
You're right: opinions vary about this matter.
PF works more efficiently when left on the OS drive. Disabling it altogether may or may not be a good idea. To be safe, set it @ 1 to 2 gb and leave it on the SSD. That works for me.
Not to worry about too much writing: will not affect SSD's life expectancy.
Asus G74SX-DH73-3D, Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bit - 14gb of RAM,
Clean install on 128gb Crucial M4 SSD + 750gb WD 7200 rpm HDD for storage,
Blu-ray™ ROM/DVD±RW combo drive, 3 GB (dedicated) NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 560M graphics, driver v. 285.62, 3D Capable.
BIOS ver 203

ricksaint wrote:
PF works more efficiently when left on the OS drive. Disabling it altogether may or may not be a good idea. To be safe, set it @ 1 to 2 gb and leave it on the SSD. That works for me.
Not to worry about too much writing: will not affect SSD's life expectancy.

+1 Especially with 16Gb RAM, the pagefile is seldom used and doesn't need to be very big- certainly not the old recommendation of 2x. I use the same approach as you on my SSD-equipped computers...a 1-2Gb pagefile, and I leave it on the SSD.

I think the concerns about a pagefile causing uneven or excessive wear in an SSD are unfounded. SSDs manage space in a completely different way from HDDs. They use sophisticated wear leveling techniques specifically to avoid uneven wear.

iraqiboy90
Level 9
I have it on the second driver which is an HDD, will there be any problems?

dstrakele
Level 14
You can always count on problems, but they WON'T be because your Pagefile is on the HDD.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT