cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lockups & blue screen

WestBrow55
Level 7
I'm sort of new to this, but have always been involved with computers since I bought a Tandy 1000 a few years ago...ha! Recently I bought a Maximus IV gene-Z mother board to use with Lightroom 3. I had always wanted to a computer together, and so I purchased the components and after 2 days I finally got everything up and running. Recently however I have been getting alot of lockups and then a blue screen telling me that certain memory locations will be dumped to disk. It usually happens after I boot up or wake the machine up from a sleep. I've noticed that when I shut the machine down, if I don't turn off the button on the power supply, usually a few minutes after I boot and everything loads the machine locks up and I get the familiar blue screen. If I turn off the power on the power supply it usually doesn't happen..... I wondering if any one can give me some ideas as to how to solve this problem?

I am running Windows 7 64 professional, BIOS 0902 recently updated from 0402. 12 gigs of ram Corsair at 1333. 2 banks of 4 gigs, and 2 banks of 2 gigs, both rated at 1600. The power requiredments are different 1.5 for the 4 gig, and 1.65 for the 2 gig. I have two Seagate 1 TB baracuda drives, 7500 rpm, in a 0 raid array, the operating system is running from these drives, and a 2 TB seagate baracuda 5900 rpm used for the digital photo database......No overclocking......If any one has any suggestions I'd be glad for the advice..... Thanks....! 😉
13 REPLIES 13

broncogr
Level 10
What is the BSOD error number that comes up?
As a general rule it is not good to mix memory modules..

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your advice. I downloaded the program you suggested and have run it multiple times as the system has crashed numerous times. I can't seem to find a pattern and it has been multiple programs that have caused the system to crash. I get messages that different programs have stopped working, Internet explorer, Lightroom 3 and also some systems programs such as ccSvcHst.exe as well as my d-link usb wifi program AirNcfg.exe, as well as Rundll32.exe. I'm not exactly what you meant by post code. When the system crashes I get the blue screen which scrolls by quickly and then a black screen before the reboot.....I installed new virus software as I thought that was the problem, but PC Tools causes a crash everytime I run the drive update program.....sometimes when booting up and the PC Tools downloads the new virus definitions it crashes. I'm beginning to think I got a bad board or its a hardware problem....! I'd like to get a handle on this....appreciate your help...!

Have you tried running on just the 4 gigs of memory or just on the 2 ?

I'm not sure what you mean by BSOD error....when the blue screen comes up it scrolls by pretty fast...but not sure that is what you are talking about?

digmeahole
Level 8
Download this program http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/appcrashview.zip run it and post results. It will highlight the poss driver or program that is causing the issue. Try and post a photo of the results...when results are showing hit print screen button the open paint program and click past button save the file as a jpeg and post it here.

Also read this as you need your pc to be set up like this to read the files. If it is not then wait untill the next bsod to occur before running the program

http://www.pchell.com/support/minidumps.shtml

WestBrow55 wrote:
I'm sort of new to this, but have always been involved with computers since I bought a Tandy 1000 a few years ago...ha! Recently I bought a Maximus IV gene-Z mother board to use with Lightroom 3. I had always wanted to a computer together, and so I purchased the components and after 2 days I finally got everything up and running. Recently however I have been getting alot of lockups and then a blue screen telling me that certain memory locations will be dumped to disk. It usually happens after I boot up or wake the machine up from a sleep. I've noticed that when I shut the machine down, if I don't turn off the button on the power supply, usually a few minutes after I boot and everything loads the machine locks up and I get the familiar blue screen. If I turn off the power on the power supply it usually doesn't happen..... I wondering if any one can give me some ideas as to how to solve this problem?

I am running Windows 7 64 professional, BIOS 0902 recently updated from 0402. 12 gigs of ram Corsair at 1333. 2 banks of 4 gigs, and 2 banks of 2 gigs, both rated at 1600. The power requiredments are different 1.5 for the 4 gig, and 1.65 for the 2 gig. I have two Seagate 1 TB baracuda drives, 7500 rpm, in a 0 raid array, the operating system is running from these drives, and a 2 TB seagate baracuda 5900 rpm used for the digital photo database......No overclocking......If any one has any suggestions I'd be glad for the advice..... Thanks....! 😉
"Those who are willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither"
Ben Franklin

Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
Intel I7-2700K OC to 4.7 @ 1.330 volts
2X EVGA 660TI SLI
G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz
2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. Raid 0. 1 500gb WD VelociRaptor
Antec Gamers edition Bronze rated PSU 750 Watts
Corsair H80 Closed loop CPU cooler
Dragon Test Bench Case

Spathi
Level 9
You need to install the latest "Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST)" or the computer puts the drives to sleep/lowpower the wrong way or something like that.

Intel web site search seems to be having issues today though.

WestBrow55
Level 7
Well I am not trying to run the 8 gigs without the 4 gigs, the voltage for the two 4's is 1.5 and the two 2's is 1.65....

Cant be done two sep requirements thats was causing your issues remove a set an all should be cured.

WestBrow55 wrote:
Well I am not trying to run the 8 gigs without the 4 gigs, the voltage for the two 4's is 1.5 and the two 2's is 1.65....
Ben Franklin

2X EVGA 660TI SLI
Dragon Test Bench Case

it is physically impossible to run two separate voltages at once.
Ben Franklin

2X EVGA 660TI SLI
Dragon Test Bench Case