Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    I've never heard of a laptop screen that looks "foggy" or "smokey" as you describe. Even an el cheapo older screen should not look like that unless you are very discerning indeed! Are you certain you don't have a physical problem wit the screen itself? I can't believe that even in the cheaper BB models of the G74 they'd dump a screen into it that looks foggy...l
    Those descriptors don't really capture the effect.....but the 1600x900 display panels Asus uses (at least the ones I've seen) really are that bad. Very poor viewing angles, horizontally and vertically. Frankly, they suck compared to the G74's Full HD panel.

His description is completely consistent with what I've seen of those panels. I'm just really disappointed to hear that Asus is still using them in their newer models.....

@ miragetetra: Would you mind looking in Device Manager and reporting back the hardware_ID for that panel? (You just expand the Monitor entry, double-click on "Generic PnP monitor" and then under the Details tab, select "Hardware ids."
    Last edited by BrodyBoy; 12-13-2011 at 11:11 PM.

ROG Member Array

True, I believe the better description of the effect is "washed out" and I wish I were exaggerating about it.

I showed it to a friend recently who isn't very tech savvy and the first thing he said was "what's wrong with your screen? why does it look like that?" so I know for sure that it's not just me.

The hardware ID is MONITOR\AUO139e

ROG Member Array

So updating on this situation. I finally got a replacement and I must say it's everything I hoped for and more. I paid an extra $200 but it was well worth it. Full HD screen, 192-bit 560m, 16gb of ram and I added an SSD. This thing is insane awesome!

New screen hardware Id is MONITOR\CMO1726 it's a Chi mei LED

no issues what so ever. So incredibly sharp and vivid. World away from the G74SX-1aty (best buy model renamed)

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miragetetra View Post
    So updating on this situation. I finally got a replacement and I must say it's everything I hoped for and more. I paid an extra $200 but it was well worth it. Full HD screen, 192-bit 560m, 16gb of ram and I added an SSD. This thing is insane awesome!

New screen hardware Id is MONITOR\CMO1726 it's a Chi mei LED

no issues what so ever. So incredibly sharp and vivid. World away from the G74SX-1aty (best buy model renamed)
    Awesome news!
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2