cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing Angles G74SX-1aty

miragetetra
Level 7
So I recently bought an G74SX-1ATY and one of that first things I noticed is that the screen lacked vibrancy. The best way I can describe it is, it looks smokey, as if I were looking at the monitor in a room filled with smoke. The only way around this, that I've been able to come up is tilt the monitor exactly 30 degrees away from my eyes. If my head moves even slightly, the screen looks "smokey" again. (meaning the screen only looks normal if you look at it in one specific direction).

I figured maybe my graphics drivers weren't properly tuned, so I updated everything, all drivers, even upgraded to windows 7 ultimate and used a THX screen calibrator to calibrate the color, contrast, ect. but it still does has the same issue.

right now, my first generation HP netbook has a better viewing angle than this machine and I'm not even sure if this is the way it's suppose to be or is this defected. I'd really hate to think this is intentional

Here are the specs on the screen, that I could find:

1600 X 900 (900p)
60z

Any help would be greatly appreciated
13 REPLIES 13

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Unfortuntely, you're seeing the disadvantage of some LED displays as compared to the older LCD in your HP laptop. I also have an Asus laptop with a 1600x900 display, and the viewing angles are poor. In certain situations, it can have that washed out look that you describe. Since this is a physical limitation of the display panel, you can't really "fix" it. You can diminish it a bit by adjusting brightness and contrast, but that's about it.

The Full HD display panel used in some other G74 configurations is not nearly as "angled limited." In fact, it's a really nice display that compares to the older LCDs in brightness and viewing angles, with better clarity. My Asus with the 1600x900 display is about a year old, and I would have hoped they improved these panels in newer generation notebooks.....but from your description, it sounds like they haven't.

If it REALLY bothers you and you can't tweak it into acceptability, you might want to consider returning that model and getting one with a FULL HD display. I've gotten used to it in my N73, but honestly, the 1920x1020 display in the G74 is much better.

JRd1st
Level 12
Ay-soos is not doing its reputation any favors with all these oddball models, some with inferior characteristics.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

380mcn
Level 9
g74 user here: the colors of the full hd model are awesome! too much indeed!

miragetetra
Level 7
So my only options are to A) attach an external monitor B) perform some surgery and put in a 1920x1080 monitor C) live with it.

A) negates the reason I bought a Laptop in the first place
B) voids my warranty
C) Is a tough pill to swallow considering I paid a reasonable amount for it.

I bought it from newegg and they have a Computer Replacement Only Return Policy which means they won't refund it but replace it within the next 30 days if it has a manufacture defect. Since I'm certain Asus doesn't consider this a defect and seriously doubt they would refund me. I guess my only option is ebay. 😕

I guess the moral of the story here is if the specs look too good to be true, they probably are 😕

miragetetra wrote:
I bought it from newegg and they have a Computer Replacement Only Return Policy which means they won't refund it but replace it within the next 30 days if it has a manufacture defect. Since I'm certain Asus doesn't consider this a defect and seriously doubt they would refund me. I guess my only option is ebay. 😕

I have found Newegg returns to be very reasonable....call and talk to an actual person and see if they will upgrade your purchase. Not a refund, not a direct a replacement, but an upgrade to a Full HD model. Plead ignorance about the specs....

miragetetra
Level 7
I have found Newegg returns to be very reasonable....call and talk to an actual person and see if they will upgrade your purchase. Not a refund, not a direct a replacement, but an upgrade to a Full HD model. Plead ignorance about the specs....

Actually that's not a bad idea. Unfortunately the next model up from mine cost $700 more however there is the G73sw-XN2 and it's only $200 more. I would be be "downgrading" from the Nvida gtx 560m (128-bit) to a 460m (192-bit) and I would lose a 500gb HD but I would get the full HD monitor.

As it stands neither model has a hardware raid controller so the lose of a 500gb HD isn't that big of a deal breaker; and I don't think there is a big (noticable) difference between the 560 and 460 so overall it would be an acceptable compromise.

Does anyone have any experience in working with newegg in these matters? possibly a similar situation? I think i'll try talking to them tonight or tomorrow

BrodyBoy
Level 10
PM sent....

fostert
Level 12
I've never heard of a laptop screen that looks "foggy" or "smokey" as you describe. Even an el cheapo older screen should not look like that unless you are very discerning indeed! Are you certain you don't have a physical problem wit the screen itself? I can't believe that even in the cheaper BB models of the G74 they'd dump a screen into it that looks foggy...

If you're stuck with the notebook in the end, then B is a very good option. Check out http://www.screentekinc.com/Chi_Mei-N173HGE-L11.shtml
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
I've never heard of a laptop screen that looks "foggy" or "smokey" as you describe. Even an el cheapo older screen should not look like that unless you are very discerning indeed! Are you certain you don't have a physical problem wit the screen itself? I can't believe that even in the cheaper BB models of the G74 they'd dump a screen into it that looks foggy...l

Those descriptors don't really capture the effect.....but the 1600x900 display panels Asus uses (at least the ones I've seen) really are that bad. Very poor viewing angles, horizontally and vertically. Frankly, they suck compared to the G74's Full HD panel.

His description is completely consistent with what I've seen of those panels. I'm just really disappointed to hear that Asus is still using them in their newer models.....

@ miragetetra: Would you mind looking in Device Manager and reporting back the hardware_ID for that panel? (You just expand the Monitor entry, double-click on "Generic PnP monitor" and then under the Details tab, select "Hardware ids."