cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give us your opinion on the ROG brand

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys, just want to see what your view on ROG is since the past year or so. Many of you have seen us at Gaming events or overclocking events. You've seen our T-shrts, mouse pads, posters, banners, and even our website. We want some feedback on what you think of ROG, what makes you feel ROG relates to gaming, overclocking, case modding or folding, this is a open discussion, all comments are welcome!

Here are a few topics to start off with:

What does Republic of Gamers mean to you? Although republic of gamers was originally focused to the hardcore gamers, but lately it seems to have directed towards the hardcore PC enthusiast. Gaming, overclocking, case modding, or folding. So is it still primarily perceived as a gaming brand or has it grown to something different? If so what?

ROG perception:
Our color theme is black and red, more black than red. Do you guys like this? What do you think of the ROG Army characters? did you know they were from the original Gene board? What do you expect to see when you see republic of gamers? Do you guys like the tagline choice of champions?

Website: Do you guys like how our asusrog site is laid out? How is the user experience, does it feel outdated? Any ideas on how to make it better? Do you guys like the grungy look or clean look? Are you able to find what you are looking for quickly and easily? Is it easy to understand the content on the product pages?

Swag!: Do you like the current ROG t-shirt designs? Do you like the mouse pads? posters? banners? ROG thermos? What would you like to see more of, less of, or things that we haven't though of? What kind of goodies would you like to see being given away at events?

What else would you like to see coming from Republic of Gamers (aside from product) to make it better?
38 REPLIES 38

xeromist
I do like the ROG brand overall. Though, as we've discussed I'd like to see some support in terms of folding if that is part of what ASUS wants the brand to represent.

To me the brand represents a premium line of products; the cream of the crop. I remember unboxing an ROG motherboard for the first time and thinking that "they thought of everything". It even included the leather key chain which has nothing to do with technology but made it feel more special anyway.

One question that I think is worth discussing is who do we see as ROG's competition? Enthusiasts only have limited dollars so when ROG is on the short list, who else might take that sale and why?

Alienware - Despite being bought out it's still a strong brand which commands a premium price.
Apple - Certainly gamers aren't looking at Apple for the most part but I believe that there is a cross section of enthusiasts and those who demand the best who will consider both ASUS and Apple for a deluxe laptop.
EVGA - As an enthusiast I can say they generally produce good products that cater to what I want. As a high end folder they are the only game in town in fact, but I understand it's not worth the investment for ROG in the current generation.

I might think of more later. I thought about MSI because they have a good rep of producing solid products which enthusiasts often like to use, but they really haven't targeted enthusiasts well, IMO.

One thought that I had was when I first heard the phrase Republic of Gamers I didn't really know that it was supposed to be an entire brand to itself. Perhaps that's because it was only in its infancy back then. I understand what it is now but I don't know whether that's because the image is clearer or just because I have the experience. It's tough to recall that old perspective. So this may not be an issue anymore but I'm not sure I can judge.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Xero, yes i too think that alienware apple and evga are direct competitors as well. From a particular partner, who i will not mention, has told me that our G series notebooks are the only real competitors in the $1000+ notebook market to go against apple OSX. Most of the mass selling notebooks are now under $1000.

I think alienware will have its fan boys but their reputation of low quality hardware is starting to catch up with them, to most of the enthusiasts, they already knew this back in the day. But they do have a big pot of gold to spend on marketing.

some neat stats on where ASUS lies in the market. using HWbot as a referance*
Currently ASUS has a 45% market share on hwbot.

EVGA has a 11% market share and have slowly been declining...

I Agree EVGA is pretty strong in the enthusiast community, lets just see how they play out with all the stuff that has been happening to them lately.

A brief history of where ROG came. To my knowledge, Republic of Gamers was for the motherboard division
and the ROG logo was considered the gaming series for the notebook division and VGA division

The two combined to form Republic of Gamers as you see it today. The original intent was focused towards gamers. We wanted to develop the absolute best performance in whatever we stuck the ROG badge on. that means it had to be the cream of the crop of ASUS products. To increase performance naturally you would need to overclock and most of the OG overclockers probably came from some sort of gaming background or wanted more performance to make "something" run quicker.

Naturally overclocking has become its own sport, but do note that the gaming audience is still wayyyy bigger than overclocking is. Which on my part has been lacking in the community and will hopefully make a big push in 2011 for gaming. along with case modding and folding. (should be interesting) so looking at our Gen 3 line of ROG products, we have the GENE for gamers and case modders or those that want ROG performance but still affordable, FORMULA for the gaming enthusiasts, everything you want from the extreme but nothing you don't need, and the EXTREME really targeted for the extreme enthusiasts and extreme overclockers.

The big question is why the hell do you want an ROG board and why are there 3 different levels? If i can make an analogy, i would compare it to a BMW. A normal 3 Series is like our premium ASUS motherboards. Still very good and can play all your games fine. ROG is like the M series. Its just that much better. Itll still drive like any other 3 series but its the best of the best.
then i would cater it towards the base package, sport package, and track package. 3 different levels for 3 different type of users.

Now just because you have a M3 doesn't mean you know how to drive it the way it was intended for. some may just fix it up for show, take it to a track, or just daily it. either way, we hope that anyone can jump into an ROG board and will be able to come to the ROG community for support on how to make their experience better.

Retired
Not applicable
you mean function over form?

agree most of the stuff out there these days are just a gimmick. you gotta give to apple for presenting its gimmick in a great way though. although some people still consider rog as a gimmick because they see a PC is a PC, we actually back up our statements and provide quality components in our products. its just not hyped up gimmick but the real stuff.

Retired
Not applicable
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=0ODEkxv4cmlXkqmr

Just saw this.......all morning on the egg searching for an 1156 board. Im telling you that external Sound Card is a winner.....

I just wish that you guys (ASUS) could make a micro-ATX ROG Board for AMD. I mean, its not like everyone have the money or need to use over 2 PCI Ex16 slots. If Intel has one, why not AMD? You could easy be making more money buy selling a mATX that caters for users like myself. (Just a suggestion, *wink, wink*).

Other than that, you guys are doing a fantastic job! I really dig the black & red color scheme on all the ROG boards out there!

Retired
Not applicable
I like the dark theme, fits with me just fine. Might be wise to invest in something light just for the sake of diversion.

However, I did not like the Asus G74SX much. Got used to it by now, but there is a room for improvement.

First of all it came with a whole load of programs pre-installed. That is fine, but if I wish for such garbage, I go buy an Acer or HP.
Secondly, no Windows DVD came with my computer. Obviously Asus consider it to be a "Good idea" to have 30++ gb of hard drive space taken up by "back up"....?
The third point is hardware, obviously there is a plenty of G74SX models, some come with intel and others with Azure wireless network adapter or so I am led to believe.
DETAILED HARDWARE DESCRIPTION IN MANUAL IS A MUST!

The first thing I did is wipe out hard drives, not having windows dvd forced me to result to piracy. Not cool.
Keyboard could use some improvement, especially after one person could have been using Logitech G15 for years, coming to G74SX feels weird.

Otherwise, a good idea is to include bios manual. One not might always know what "Intel BigB FSB" does if it is turned on or off. The same goes for drivers.

Brian@ASUS wrote:
A brief history of where ROG came. To my knowledge, Republic of Gamers was for the motherboard division
and the ROG logo was considered the gaming series for the notebook division and VGA division

Makes sense. I got my first ROG motherboard back in '06 and I only remember the cubic G, not the swooshing logo.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Makes sense. I got my first ROG motherboard back in '06 and I only remember the cubic G, not the swooshing logo.

I still love this graphic and shout out. Let's Game. Thanks ~xero.c.

ottoyu34
Level 9
As usual, Thanks for the input xero.