cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Disappearing system tray icons

fountainhead
Level 7
I noticed that when I install the IRST driver my system tray icons fail to update. For example, the IRST icon will say that IRST is not running when I know it is running. Or sometimes the icon won't show up at all. My Microsoft Security Essentials and Action Center icons also don't show up. I've also noticed that when you uninstall IRST something seems to go wrong because the Control Panel icon for IRST refuses to go away. Bottom line, this driver has some icon issues, lol. Any of you run into these problems and do you know how to fix them? I'm using a G74SX-BBK8. Thanks!
G74Sx-BBK8 BIOS 203
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
17 REPLIES 17

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Icon? I've never seen an icon for the IRST. Can you post a screenshot of it in Control Panel?

BrodyBoy wrote:
Icon? I've never seen an icon for the IRST. Can you post a screenshot of it in Control Panel?

I don't want to install the drivers because I'm not sure I can ever get rid of them cleanly, lol. But it's basically a shortcut in the Control Panel to the IRST program, which, after uninstalling it, gives an error message because it can't find the executable.
G74Sx-BBK8 BIOS 203

JRd1st
Level 12
I have RST and don't have Icon problems, but that program does say it isn't running.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

I hope you don't mean a fresh Windows install. That really isn't necessary just to get this driver installed.

And the F6 installation isn't required for your system, which is using Windows 7.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Okay.....I'm thoroughly confused! :confused: I thought you had installed it, but now it sounds like you haven't.... I thought you meant a program icon, but now it sounds like a shortcut.... I don't think there's such a thing as an icon for the IRST.....(because it's just a driver, not a user-configurable program).....

What exactly is the issue? IRST is a SATA/RAID driver. Once installed, it's just operating in the background, like the chipset driver. Did you install the IRST driver? If so, what problem is it causing?

fountainhead
Level 7
lol, sorry if I confused you Brody. Yes, I did install IRST (using the link from JRd1st's sticky thread) at first. But when I saw that my system tray icons (including those which have nothing to do with IRST like Microsoft Security Essentials and the Action Center) were either missing or not updating after installing IRST, I decided to uninstall it. That's when I got the impression that something is screwy with the install because the Control Panel icon for IRST remained even after I uninstalled. But my main question is why installing IRST seems to affect the system tray (or, 'notification area', as it seems to be called now).
G74Sx-BBK8 BIOS 203

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Okay, I think I get it now. We're not actually talking about the IRST, but about an optional utility that Intel includes in the installer.....the Intel Control Center. That's optional....you can get rid of it.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Okay, I think I get it now. We're not actually talking about the IRST, but about an optional utility that Intel includes in the installer.....the Intel Control Center. That's optional....you can get rid of it.

No, Brody. There IS a GUI if you've installed a certain IRST version. If you install this IRST from Chastity's thread you get an icon in the tray and a GUI that opens if you click it. Plus she has another one with a GUI.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

fountainhead
Level 7
Opps, I R NUB. I think I didn't install this thing correctly. I just ran the executable in Windows. Apparently you're supposed to install it before you install Windows? (Where it gives you the option to "load driver.") Sorry, I'm new to both Windows 7 and SATA. 🙂
G74Sx-BBK8 BIOS 203