Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade the G74SX-A1 gaming laptop

X-ROG
Level 15
13 REPLIES 13

Bekarasha
Level 7
i hope in future asus gaming laptops G55 | G75 u can replace video card as well 🙂

Hi Guys,
I wanted to see if there is any way to post (pictures or video) instructions to upgrade the hard drive. I know there is a you tube video available, but the guy there pretty much just shows you how to screw the caddy rather than connecting the cable, which is the problematic piece I think. I've got the Best Buy version and came with the second bay empty. The hardware for upgrading was including, BUT the hard drive cable came loose and I have a hard time figuring out how to connect it to the board and hard drive SATA adaptor. I think we could make this easier for future users going through the same pain.
This is the You Tube Post that helped me, in case anyone needs it.

"Hi, the video is not very smart. It misses the important points. It only shows the guy screwing and unscrewing.
There are two important points:
1. To connect to the hard drive the cable you have to pull/slide the little black piece away from the hard drive head. Insert the cable and slide back the black thing to lock it.
2. On the motherboard you have to lift it and push it a little back. Insert the cable and push it down to lock the cable in place."

Thanks!!:D

Bekarasha wrote:
i hope in future asus gaming laptops G55 | G75 u can replace video card as well 🙂

i hope so as well, althoght if i buy one of those my wife will kill me because i just got my g74sx yesterday
G74Sx-DH71
i7 2670 QM
12 GB RAM
GTX 560m 3GB
2x 750 gb HD
Throttlestop bios mod 203

BradOZ
Level 7
The only reason I found this guide is because I want to upgrade the graphics card. Seriously its not a gamer laptop then. 1st thing a gamer upgrades is a gfx card. Ram cpu and HD are still fine. Gfx card is the only downfall on this laptop and have to go spend 3k on a new one now just to get the same specs with a decent gfx card.

muphybird
Level 7
Do you have the 2GB Video card or the 3GB 560M? Some models have the 2GB and some have the 3GB. Could you not just upgrade the motherboard. I'm still trying to get an answer on this and either no one knows or no one will tell me. I have the 2GB Video, and thought my model had the 3GB, so I was bummed out on that fact.

Almighty1
Level 9
All you have to do is change the video card, the motherboard is the same for all models in that line.

hmm wool socks on carpet witout strap = bad

Almighty1 wrote:
All you have to do is change the video card, the motherboard is the same for all models in that line.

The video card is not swappable. It's integrated onto the MB. Bummer.

muphybird wrote:
The video card is not swappable. It's integrated onto the MB. Bummer.

Interesting, thought it was since the G74 seems to be the newer version of the G73... I took apart a G73 and the video card was removeable.