cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero Z87 Error 00

rrrocket
Level 7
Hi,
I had just loaded up Batman Arkham Knight (10% progress), after applying an Geforce Experience. Geforce Experience recommended that I increase my resolution to just under 4k (I forget the exact resolution - but it didn't look quite 4k). Upon launching game and selecting my profile the start playing my PC suddenly turned itself off. I pushed my power button and very quickly shut itself off again and again. I looked inside my case while pushing the power button and noticed very quickly the LED showed a number 00. I looked up Q-code which means "Not used". I"m not sure what's not being used, my CPU, PSU, Mobo, RAM?.

FIrst thing I did was disconnect all power leads and reconnect. Then I removed the GPU (Gigabyte980GTX) to use onboard video. After the same issue (very quickly displaying 00 then turning off), I removed the CPU to check pins etc.. Looks like a new one. Reapplied paste, and CPU fan. I removed memory reinserted and still same issue. Tried starting without RAM at all.
After reading further online it sounds like issue is either CPU, PSU or mobo.

So I then use the 620Watt PSU on my other computer. This time the same error is displayed but it didn't turn off immediately. The error 00 stayed on and the chassis fan and GPU fans kept spinning. The CPU fan didn't spin at all.
So this kind of tells me that my PSU is faulty, caused a spike/surge and may have friend the mobo?? Unsure.

After this I then tried the flashback option using the PSU where power stays on. This was successful flashback after following the instructions online. Same issue though error still present.

I'm now at the stage where I have removed the mobo from the case and everything attached including the CMOS battery. (speaking of which I left the CMOS battery out overnight and when I booted it stayed on for bout 1 second longer).

Has anyone else has similar issues? Or know what this could be? I'm confused regarding the results of the PSU. Do you think that the troublesome Arkham Knight broke my PC? (I assume most of you would know about this poor release that has been pulled).

Love to hear your thoughts. Cheers
P.S. Sorry if you've read this on the other forum - I thought my mobo was one of the older older ones. This PC has been rock solid steady since building in August of 2013.
15 REPLIES 15

rrrocket
Level 7
I'm thinking of testing my 850W PSU in my old PC. Scared though as it might short circuit it as it may have done to my main PC CPU/Mobo.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Gday rrrocket and yes, Qcode 00 although not used, comes up a lot. It usually indicates a problem has been found, either MB or PSU. It can be the CPU or even dead or failing DIMMs,

Best way to check, as you have the unit in benchtest mode, is to first check your Power Supply. Either swap it out with a known good unit or have the current one tested.
Change the CMOS battery and, you should clear CMOS prior to flashing.
Test your DIMMs in another system using Memtest86+, to rule out that possibility.

It will be a matter of elimination, till the culprit is found.
Start troubleshooting with just power to MB, connection to monitor and 1 Dimm in first slot. Add components one at a time, checking your Qcodes as you go, to see if post advances.

Should these steps fail to identify the problem and a continuing Qcode 00, then you have an issue with the MB itself. RMA if under warranty.

Best of Luck and let us know how you go.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

rrrocket
Level 7
Hi MeanMachine, Thanks for replying. Yes I do have it in benchtest mode sitting here right besides me. Bare bones almost. I just now tried my 620W PSU (connected 24 pin / 12v ). All I have connected on this mobo is the CPU. Error came up 00 but this time it stays on (when I do this with my 850W the 00 error stays on only for a fraction of a second and all power is lost. Which is why I think my PSU maybe the issue and perhaps short circuited CPU/mobo but I dunno. I am a noob at this.

I'll check my RAM in my current PC and report back.

rrrocket
Level 7
Hey MeanMachine,
I haven't actually tried the RAM yet (had to put kids to bed).
I had a thought. If I tested barebones (just CPU) and I'm still getting Q-code 00 wouldn't that mean it's not RAM? More likely to be CPU/mobo?

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi rrrocket
Can't rule anything out at this stage but, that PSU is sus if you ask me, and you may have sustained damage to the MB. Swap in a known working PSU of at least 850W to test the MB. That's the first thing to eliminate as a problem.
If that don't fix the 00, and your CPU is good then RMA the MB.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

rrrocket
Level 7
Hi MeanMachine,

That's the hard part. I don't have access to a 850W PSU only 620W. If I take it to Macgregor Service Centre will they test the Mobo there? Should I leave my CPU in?

MeanMachine
Level 13
A 650w PSU is really borderline, with your GPU and all.

Yes, leave the CPU and cooler in place. They are going to need a CPU to test it. ( I don't know MacGregor Service Centre, but any reputable computer store will do)
If it is the PSU, get a gold or platinum certified unit. A bit more costly but worth it.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

rrrocket
Level 7
My previous PSU is Thermaltake 850W is a GOLD. I don't want to test that in this PC i'm on. It might cook something too!

I'd rather not take it there due to distance but they're the only ASUS service centre in Brisbane.
Maybe I'll ask my local PC shop MSY.

rrrocket
Level 7
So since I'm getting Q-code 00 error with nothing plugged in, am I right to think that my MB is faulty??