cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus model for cooling + Battery questions

Thrill3
Level 7
So I've been looking at the G551JW which seems really good for me but I also see the G751JL which is a tad more expensive but includes the 965M and what seems to be a better cooling design with those dual vents at the back.

My only issue with the dual vent system is that it seems like the battery cannot be removed which I think might be a problem for me. I'm going to have it plugged into mains pretty much all the time, so what happens to the battery here if it's never used?

That's sort of why I'm leaning towards the removable battery design even if it does mean lower spec.

Basically, is the G751JL worth it with the battery pack non removable for the better cooling?
5 REPLIES 5

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well actually you looking at two very different notebooks, for starters the G551 is a 15" notebook the G751 is a 17" notebook very big difference.
Actual I have been using my G75 for 3 years now with the battery in and plugged in. The Battery still last a couple of hour when I forget to turn on the UPS its plugged into. These new batteries and notebooks are set up not to destroy your battery with out you doing anything. Since you don't use the battery and most likely work quite a bit as I do. Setting up for weeks at a time in maybe different locations. But Still a desktop replacement I think you should go for the G751 larger screen and as you say better cooling. If your not carrying the notebook around every day you'll enjoy the extra size of notebook. If you do have to carry this back and forty often daily you might want the smaller size and screen. I think mostly students and business people that travel a lot go more for the 15" model. IMHO
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thrill3
Level 7
Yeah only real concern I have left is the battery really.

Like would it be possible to remove the "non removable battery" and just plug it into mains or is that a bad idea? Like I guess I don't mind every 2 weeks or so just running it from battery if I need to but is never using it going to cause the actual laptop any problems?

Yes I have had no issues with my battery in 3 years of use plugged in and these new one have even better technology
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

escha
Level 7
no problem leaving the battery inside while pluged in to mains
it will not harm/destroy/damage/depleat your battery as it used to happen couple of years ago
modern systems actually let the battery to slowly drain a few % and then reload it but in a way to keep it in good shape through out the lifespan even if you keep it pluged in

Thrill3
Level 7
Thanks for the replies folks. Always helps build confidence in shelling out such ridiculous money for something like this.