cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

code 79 then Error sending end of post message to me. System Halt.

GoNz0-
Level 10
Updated to the new bios yesterday and all seemed ok, try to power up tonight and get stuck in a code 79 loop until it finally swapped to the other bios and booted, then it gave me the message "Error sending end of post message to me. System Halt".?
9 REPLIES 9

samboy87
Level 9
Have you tried Loading Default settings in bios after the update?

I will do but it resets them after every update anyway.

Chino
Level 15
If updating to the new BIOS did not bring your motherboard back to factory settings, then the update process wasn't done correctly or it wasn't successful.

GoNz0-
Level 10

GoNz0-
Level 10
it wiped out all 3 raid arrays after BIOS 1401 freaked out with the 78-79 code so the 1502 BIOS has somehow caused an issue preventing it posting on more than one occasion. Bad flash taking out a good backup BIOS, how?

oh and bare 1 stick of ram and nothing else bar the VGA didn't improve things.

RMA#2 coming up.

thexchange
Level 7
Am having this exact same issue as well. Updated BIOS 2 to 1502 for testing, it went successfully and was able to browse the different pages for new options. Powered down the box and stepped away for 20 mins, came back and it wouldn't post past code 79. Switched to BIOS 1 and the "Error message to ME" appeared once, then another reboot and code 79 appeared too; this went away only after the CMOS button was pressed. Recovered BIOS 2 to 1401 via direct copy of BIOS 1, as USB flashback still showed the same problem.

GoNz0-
Level 10
Let us hope this is passed back to the developers so it is pulled. Asus?

thexchange
Level 7
Gonzo, are both your BIOS damaged then? Are you able to recover via USB flash? Could try flashing 1401 in the good chip, that might still work if you're lucky. Then do a direct copy to the faulty chip from the BIOS itself.

I did try flashing 1502 again, this time I was successful. I've noticed a BIOS update always needs to be flashed at least twice and left powered for awhile in order to get it to "set". The error message did catch me by surprise though, thought it was a joke message or virus thingy. Then I remembered Intel MEI has a slim chance of getting wiped from the BIOS because of a bad flash, so that sort of answered it for me

I think 1502 should be fine once you get it up and running soon. But I'm downgrading back to 1401, system gets problematic when I tired to use it.

GoNz0-
Level 10
I have put it back on as I didn't realise I had left it on the 1502 BIOS, so for now it seems ok and I have backed up to the 2nd BIOS as swapping between the 2 seemed to cause the FUBAR, so I assume Asus didn't test for this factor as it should not be able to happen. It must be to do with the microcode (the CPU is updating message).

If it takes a dive in the next week I will pull the drives and try to get 1402 via flashback working again or RMA the damn thing for a refund as it has been a pain in the ass.