cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem and need help (Asus Heros 7 and GTX 980 Matrix)

Daakutenshi
Level 8
Hello all !. I would like to requiere the help of all person if possible since im at the limit of my knowledge and don'T know what to do anymore.

(My main language is french, if something is not clear, ask i will try to make sure it's ok)

My brother bought a new PC (complet) and i did help him whit the part and everything.

MainBoard : ASUS Maximus VII Hero ATX LGA1150 Z97 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1
CPU : Intel Core i7 4790K Unlocked Quad Core HT 4GHZ/4.4GHZ
RAM : Corsair Vengeance Pro Gold 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-2400 CL11 1.65V
Power : 1200 antec true power quatro
Graphic Card : Asus ROG GTX 980
Cooling : Corsair H100 (liquid cooling)
Case : Cooler Master HAF 942
SSD : OCZ 120 Go (sorry blank for the type, im at 800 KM from him atm)
4 other HDD, from 1 to 2 TB each
a DVD player
SOND : asus xonar pheobus
Keyboard : Logiteck G19

Here is the deal. Once we recive all the part, we mount the beast. I have been in IT field for over 10 years and already own a Asus mobo OC and all the gear and it's working flawless.....

After we finish mounting his beast, we install windows. Test each component (memtest, Prime95, GPU bencher) and everything was working correctly....

Then we start installing different program like AI suite 3,aida64, the software that came with the Graphic card... well everything.
I then try to use AI suite to bring the OC, witch it did....

but here is all the probleme : THE PC IS COMPLETELY INSTABLE, OC or not (stock).... we have alway these random crash, from the nvidia driver to crash, to the motherboard saying Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. To sundently computer FREEZE completely but the sound still work flawless...

and it's happen when we are on chrome, when we are doing nothing... when we are playing game like The Witcher and some low game like Diablo 2.

All these crash seem random, and no mather how many think i try (sfc /scannow, chkdsk /r /f... testing each component individualy. OC and NOT OC the rig) these crash alway happen.

Last think i try today was to shut off the TDR via the Registry for stopping the nvidia driver to crash (Btw before you ask we have try all drivers since the 980 came out to today :S) and even them, Nvidia driver don'T seem to crash but the RaidPort crash (was still before)

Im all open to do anything, i reformat that pc many time also....

is there a precisely order i need to install all ?
do it's seem like a software or hardware probleme ?

Any of you have probleme like that ?

we recive the PC on May 04, 2015 and we pay more that 3.5K for it... and right now my brother only think of a Axe and his pc in the wood....

The wrost is that yesterday night we play for what... 5-6 hours strait whitout any probleme... and this morning it crash 4-5 time in 15 min.

So, to all of you, shoot me your idea please. I will try everything even it's it seem stupid i don'T care. I have reach my own limit as to be able to solve that by myself and people in the small town we are don't have any idea

thanks for all the help you can provide me

you can reach me here by answering that post, or by email at : maxime.poirier@hotmail.com
10 REPLIES 10

Menthol
Level 14
I would uninstall aisuite, only install nvidia driver and physic not the other programs that are in nvidia drivers, disable hardware acceleration in Chrome to stop Chrome from crashing. What is Raidport, if it is a driver you do not need, don't install it. My Hero 7 has been rock solid since first day with default settings in bios except XMP setting for the RAM. best way to install motherboard drivers is from the install disk. only what is needed, nothing more.

Daakutenshi
Level 8
gonna try, the raidport is the SSD port, when that pop the whole computer freeze for a solid min, and the recovery (or crash and reboot, depend)

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Daakutenshi

I just wanted to backup Menthol, get rid of AISuite as it doesn't play well with some systems. Only OC within your Bios.
Reset Bios back to default, (clear CMOS) I think your system is unstable due to incorrect OC.

Stress Test your system for stability and checking your temperatures as you go.
Use ROG Realbench or Prime95 (small FFT for 10-15mins).
Monitor with Coretemp or HWMonitor.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Daakutenshi
Level 8
Well after 3 format, testing... it's seem the SSD might be dieing. We format with 2 other Hard disk, once is completely H/S, the second is a basic HDD, seem fine untill windows enter deep sleep and ether me or my brother realise untill i had the HDD in my hand to make a Ghost, and the PC restart with a windows logon but no HDD inside....

We then procede to format his SSD and everything was flawless.... untill the next morning windows pop me a message saying something about files of the user corrupted.....

at that point im mad... 3.5K and still probleme... We tought we where ok... i recreate a user and move back 800 KM. during the day pc was no.1

night come, we play a game of Sin of a solar empire, 40 min and the game FROZE... but ATL+TAB was fine, he was able to speak with us, even close the game whitout a probleme....

Today (monday) he came to a screen with snow (like a CTR TV whitout cable plug.... computer reboot.... now it's seem he can watch Netflix... but we did try to launch a game and game won't launch at all.

I will tell you. At that point im realy mad. How come we bought piece, and not Cheap one... suppose to be the BEST... we bench individualy EACH part (even the SSD) and even with all the test saying the PC is OK. Freash install on windows... still have crash.

So... any new idea.... because Asus will have back all what we bought and we will stay away... atm im realy burn out. been 2 month i try to find the probleme and can't find it.

Any other idea 😄 im all in.
Any other software to try, im all in also.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Of course I can never be sure from here but it sounds a lot like memory problems to me...have you tested the memory...maybe one stick at a time on stock (F5 in BIOS) settings i.e. 1333..... test with a bootable program like Memtest86+

NemesisChild
Level 12
To me, it sounds like most of your issues are related to your GTX 980 and/or the Nvidia driver.
DO NOT install your Hero VII and 980 drivers from the disks, go directly to ASUS & Nvidia sites to get the current drivers.
Uninstall AI Suite and the Nvidia driver and for now just use the onboard video.
Or pull the 980 and replace with another GPU that you know is in good working order to test system stability.

Have you run memtest on each stick of memory individually?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Daakutenshi
Level 8
After a other bunch of test..... the SSD if fail.

in fack, all these probleme seem to start from there. But here me out, you test the SSD, everything seem good. You test it in a other computer everything is good. YOU TEST IT IN ANY WAY IT'S ALWAY COME BACK GOOD.

But put it in production (AKA: installing windows on it and runnig it on a daily basic) it's screw. probleme with files that keep crashing, corrupt and such...

glad that is done, mad that... even after testing everything and everthing was fine... a part was still bad....

but hey, that is done

Daakutenshi wrote:
After a other bunch of test..... the SSD if fail.

in fack, all these probleme seem to start from there. But here me out, you test the SSD, everything seem good. You test it in a other computer everything is good. YOU TEST IT IN ANY WAY IT'S ALWAY COME BACK GOOD.

But put it in production (AKA: installing windows on it and runnig it on a daily basic) it's screw. probleme with files that keep crashing, corrupt and such...

glad that is done, mad that... even after testing everything and everthing was fine... a part was still bad....

but hey, that is done

OK, glad you found some root cause...yes sometimes that happens...I have seen an ssd fail slowly and give results like this too...

Hope it's all stable with a fresh drive 🙂

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi Daakutenshi,

I'll take a stab at suggestions for you to try...

Please forgive me as I will get long winded / overly descriptive.

I have read you have been in the IT field for over 10 years, so please don't take my detailing personal, as you may already have done this from habit of experience. I'm just a hobby/enthusiast still learning. But hopefully something here will help in narrowing down the problem.

Setup/assemble system with only the bare essentials, and add additional components one at a time and configure them as necessary, until system is completely assembled operating perfect or a fault happens indicating the last component or software/driver added is possibly introducing the fault.

Start off with wiping/erasing the SSD, to prepare for later. Turn off PC and strip down your system to just the MOBO, CPU, 1 stick of RAM, PSU, no other hardware connected. Clear CMOS (reset BIOS), turn PC on and set the necessary parameters within bios (cpu, ram, etc). Shutdown PC. Connect the SSD (for OS install) and DVD drive (if needed for OS install only, If installing from USB Stick leave DVD drive disconnected). Boot PC into BIOS and setup SSD parameters, and DVD drive (if connected) as necessary. Reboot and install the OS. Reboot as necessary for OS cleanup after it's installation. Install the Intel drivers and reboot. Install the LAN drivers and reboot. Now update the OS and reboot as necessary until all updates have been installed. Shutdown PC and install Video card. Start PC and go into BIOS to change settings as necessary for the Video card added, and disable onboard video. Reboot, Install video drivers and adjust video settings as necessary. Shutdown PC and install the remaining ram, then boot into BIOS to verify ram is recognized and set parameters as needed. Reboot and let the OS do it's thing registering the added ram, and verify it's recognized.
Shutdown PC and add in the HDD's "one at a time", rebooting and configuring them for use within BIOS then OS. Do the same for DVD drive (if not already installed) and then the sound card and it's drivers for last (be sure onboard audio is disabled).

Hopefully all is good so far... if it is, I would Image/Back-up your OS Drive at this point before adding any applications, software, games, etc. Or at least make a System Restore Point. Then precede in installing whatever is wanted one at a time, running/testing/configuring etc.

I hope you get your brothers PC problems sorted out whether anything I have offered helps or not.