Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG278Q Red Ring no longer working and have to unplug monitor to turn on

Chrisszzyy
Level 7
Hi Guys,

So I have a problem with my PG278Q.

I got it at Christmas this year and after spending over £700 I thought I'd get as good reliability as my VW246H it replaced.

However about two weeks ago I noticed that the red ring stopped lighting up - It doesn't light up at all. That's not the only problem; the monitor never turns on by itself anymore; the power button does nothing.
Instead what I have to do is unplug the mains cable from the power adapter that came with it for 10 seconds and then plug it back in again. This causes the monitor to start working except the red ring still never lights.

I have to do this every day after I've shut down my computer the night before.

Edit: I find that I have to unplug the mains cable from the back of the PSU or turn it off at the wall; just unplugging the cable from the back of the monitor does NOT work!

Any ideas as to what is going on and how it can be fixed? Is the monitor broken already!?

Cheers,
Chris
2 REPLIES 2

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Hey Chris,

Sounds exactly like the same issue with my old Samsung LCD monitor, this is an issue with the power adapter inside the monitor. I did the exact same thing where I had to unplug the power cord and wait a few seconds then plug back in before the monitor could turn on.

You probably need to RMA the monitor or have to live with this problem which is quite annoying. My old Samsung monitor died 3 months later after this issue started occurring.

Cheers.

InfernoStorm wrote:
Hey Chris,

Sounds exactly like the same issue with my old Samsung LCD monitor, this is an issue with the power adapter inside the monitor. I did the exact same thing where I had to unplug the power cord and wait a few seconds then plug back in before the monitor could turn on.

You probably need to RMA the monitor or have to live with this problem which is quite annoying. My old Samsung monitor died 3 months later after this issue started occurring.

Cheers.

Hey,

So I got my monitor RMA'd and was a disaster. To start off with no-one could find the RMA number anywhere and the one I was emailed wasn't valid. Monitor was shipped via DPD however and surprise surprise all I got was the monitor unit itself without the power supply.

The red ring now works BUT the problem with having to unplug and re-plug it in still remains.

Any ideas?

They have now asked me to put even more emphasis in the repair RMA this time around on the PSU despite making it blindingly obvious it's a power supply issue. Also having to take a day off work to have it swapped is a real pain in the neck and it's far too big to take to work.

Are there any ASUS staff on these forums who could help at all? It's ridiculous that there's no direct channel to the RMA team and the fact they didn't seem to read the details I put into the RMA about the power supply. Despite ringing the support number up and them guaranteeing that there would be a power supply in the swapped unit, there wasn't.

Any ideas guys?

Granted I could go out and buy a new PSU but why should I after spending over £700 on a monitor?

Cheers,
Chris