cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overclocking failed bios message

Retired
Not applicable
I recently purchased the Rampage III extreme board and flash the bios to the latest version i.e. 1005. I have already overclocked my i7-940 to 3.01 GHZ but sometimes i restart the computer and sees a message that overclocking failed. I restart and system resumes to normal. Why this message is coming ?
9 REPLIES 9

ottoyu34
Level 9
It usually means the overclock settings is not stable for your configuration and needs to be revised.
Did you stress test the system after oc?

Retired
Not applicable
Dear friend, looking for help?

Retired
Not applicable
This is the default configuration in the bios. I have core i7-940 and Intel XMP memory by Kingston at 1800MHZ at 9-9-9-27. Just fixed everything in the motherboard and boot to the bios
then set the AI Overclocking to XMP mode and the Motherboard bios automatically calculated the CPU speed at 3000GHz and Ram timing at 9-9-9-27.
After this reboot the system normally. If i restart the system second day a message appears overclock failed. Press F1 or load setup defaults.
I just shutdown the system and power-on normally and the system boots to OS normally.

xeromist
Do you have load line calibration enabled?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
yes in m bios settings i have set the load line calibration to Auto mode.

xeromist
OK, a few things to try would be changing the Loadline setting (full and off are the other settings?) and manually setting your memory. I'm guessing that maybe the voltage is not being applied correctly on the first boot or the board doesn't read the XMP data on the first boot. If you disable loadline you may have to up the voltage slightly to compensate for vdroop. By playing with these settings you might be able to avoid the problem but obviously not entirely solve it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks Xeromist. I set the LLC to Full calibration mode in the Bios and then the above problem did not happened again.
Also set the AI Overclocking to Manual Mode.
THe problem sorted out. 🙂 Thanks.

xeromist
Cool. Glad it worked.

V2-V3
Level 8
Sounds like your CPU just needed a little extra voltage to be stable on boot.

If you have this issue again increase the CPU Voltage by a few notches.