cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Help] Overclock i7 5820k - bad results and warm temperature

Aquila
Level 7
Hey

I bought recently a brand new i7 5820k to go with this fantastic motherboard.
Today I decided to work a little bit on my overclock, but I have really bad results and I'm not sure about where is the problem.
First, I'm doing everything from the bios, not sure if it's mandatory but I'm always thinking it's better. My first try was 4.5 Ghz with 1.3 v and the PC instantly crash when I launch a stress test (I'm using OCCT). I tried 4.4 Ghz which is unstable and my CPU get really warm. Right now I'm running 4.2 Ghz with 1.2 v which work fine.
So, I also got a problem with temperature. I have a Cooler Master Cosmos II and my cooling system is a Corsair H110, it should cool down my CPU pretty well but I don't have so great results either. With my current setting, my CPU go up to 83°C according to OCCT and 75°C according to AI suite 3.

My fan configuration is 1 front fan and 2 side fan getting the air in, and 1 back fan + 2 top fan (with water cooling radiator) getting the air out

Thanks a lot for helping me !
Maxime
7 REPLIES 7

kkn
Level 14
list full build specs.

Aquila
Level 7
CPU : i7 5820k with Corsair H110
MB : Rampage V extreme (build 1401)
RAM : 2*4 GB corsair
GC : R9 280x o/c
Storage : SSD + HDD
Case : Cooler Master Cosmos II
Fans : All BeQuiet pwm except back and front

GoNz0-
Level 10
read the OC guide, try repasting the heatsink, and above all your mileage may vary as this is a CPU sold at a set speed that you are taking above said set speed so 100mhz above stock may be unstable on a poor cpu..

imo going straight in at 4.5 is foolish. try 4, then 4.2.

Chino
Level 15
Overclocking potential varies from CPU to CPU. Putting 100% load on your CPU will certainly increase your temperature to its peak. Not sure how capable your H110 is to be able to cope with the heat.

Aquila
Level 7
Thanks for your answers !
So today I changed my thermal paste, using Artic Silver 5 insteed of the stock one. I also updated my CM build, and results or so much different !
Right now I'm stable with 4,5 Ghz at 1,28 v. During OCCT, my temperature is going to 78 °C, very good result especially because we are in summer.
I'm not sure if I can go higher .. 4.6 Ghz with 1.31 v isn't stable and I would not go higher with the voltage because of the temperature.

Do you advise me to overclock also the BCLK ? I tried 101 and it seems stable, but I'm not sure if it's really great to do it.

There is also an option called "Xtrem Tweaking", but I have no idea about what it really does to the CPU. The information in the guide isn't relevent, and I found on internet that it improves performance for 3Dmark.. but I still don't know what it is doing.

Chino
Level 15
It is recommended to keep the vcore below 1.35V. I wouldn't go crazy on the BCLK either since it will affect the stability of your other components. Extreme tweaking option can be left alone. No need to fiddle with it.

Aquila
Level 7
Hey !
okey, thanks for the information.
Unfortunately, after a stress test with RealBench, it seems that my system wasn't so stable .. haha
Actually, I tried to overclock a little bit my CPU Cache Ratio and it seems that it helps my CPU to be a lot more stable. Can you tell me more about it ? and which limit I shouldn't exceed ?

Thanks again 😄