ROG Member Array

How to reset your BIOS UEFI password on a laptop easily

Here's how to easily reset your BIOS or UEFI password on Asus laptops (actually it will remove your BIOS UEFI password, wipe it out) :
    This only works if you can boot into windows (or other OS) ! It will reset you BIOS or UEFI password if you have forgotten it.

- Boot into windows and change the date to 2002/01/02,

- Reboot while while hitting F2 to get into the BIOS / UEFI, when the enter password window appears hit "Alt + r", a "Enter rescue password" window will appear, with 2002/01/02 date showing (if not the code won't work), enter the following rescue password : ALAA4ABA

- Done ! You're in the BIOS / UEFI

- Change back the date and other settings to their correct values in the BIOS / UEFI, save settings, and you're good.

On the internet, you can even find whole lists of date/password couples to enter in the "Enter recovery password" window, i used the one above which worked perfectly..

I have a lot of Asus products, multiple computers over the years, and have been, and am, very satisfied with all of them. Very good, well made computers, that have never let me down. I never hesitate to recommend ASUS. That being said, I am extremely disappointed with Asus support (fist time I ever contacted them as I never had a problem before). I forgot my UEFI password and they said they couldn't do anything except for me to send my computer back to them (it's under guarantee so it would have been free, but it wasn't practical for me). I spend hours looking for a solution before I found this. It's surch an easy fix I just can't believe Asus support does not know about it.
    I can only imagine the number of laptops being unnecessarily serviced because people forgot their BIOS password.
    And that makes me mad. If your customers have a problem and you have a solution, help them, don't lie to them !

If it is to maintain an "illusion" of better security, it's idiotic. This technique is well known (took me hours to find it because I'm not into this stuff), and if people think their BIOS or UEFi is inpenetrable because they set a password, they should know it's not the case. If you can boot into an OS, you can reset the date, and therefore rest the BIOS / UEFI, period. It's only a problem if you're not aware of it.

Anyway, thanks to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZfFcHtYIRw where I first saw the solution !
    Last edited by vaperoo; 06-29-2015 at 04:19 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

A few people said that taking out the battery has helped reset the BIOS, however a lot of people said that it didn't work for them.

Some users have tried using USB flash drive to load new BIOS to the laptop
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...et+bios+laptop

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Black Phoenix PC Specs
    Black Phoenix PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus GL551JW
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-5960X
    Memory (part number)2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Classified ACX 2.0+
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Classified ACX 2.0+
    Sound CardRealtek ALC1150 (On Board Audio)
    Monitor3x Asus PA279Q
    Storage #12x Sandisk X300S 128GB 2.5" RAID0 (OS)
    Storage #24x Western Digital Black 750GB 2.5" RAID10 (Storage)
    CPU Coolerbe quiet! DARK ROCK TF
    CaseCooler Master Stacker 832
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200
    Keyboard Asus M801 ​Keyboard -​ Red Switc​hes
    Mouse Asus ROG Gladius
    Headset Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK XXL
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+B Plus S8B Subwoofer
    OS MS Windows 10 Pro X64
    Network RouterNETGEAR R8000 Nighthawk X6
    Accessory #1 Roland UA-55 Audio Interface

1st: Removing the Laptop Battery / CMOS Battery normally only restores BIOS to factory Defaults, it doesn't affect the BIOS Password;

2nd: Upgrading a Locked BIOS Installs the new Version of the BIOS still with the Password;

3rd: Normally changing the BIOS Chip Locked by a Blank One while Upgrading (Called HOT SWAP) installs an Unlocked BIOS. It's done after the Version/Model Check and before the Erasing/Writing/Verifying Phase of BIOS Upgrade.

That's DANGEROUS AND SHOULD BE DONE ONLY AS LAST OF LAST RESOURCE. Also done when Bad Flashing Happens;

Now the way the OP says I never tried, but if it's that way it's an extreme security fault: Imagine your PC was stolen and you have BIOS Administrator (blocking the access of USB/CDROM/any External Media during BOOT and Drive Password for Data Encryption.

That way you can access the Hard Drive without being the fateful owner (Yes because removing a Password from an Account in any Windows NT build is easier as hell).

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Dude you are a GOD! Also why the hell after i set a password, i try to log in with that password and it says it's invalid?! WTF?!

EDIT: Seems like if i set a password using uppercase (or so i think, i am holding shift with caps lock off), when i input the password i set, it will only be valid if i use lowercase characters. That is odd... i have a G751JT. On a X302LJ and other bioses it doesn't do that...am i missing something?
    Last edited by Rares95; 06-04-2016 at 12:18 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by vaperoo View Post
    Here's how to easily reset your BIOS or UEFI password on Asus laptops (actually it will remove your BIOS UEFI password, wipe it out) :
    This only works if you can boot into windows (or other OS) ! It will reset you BIOS or UEFI password if you have forgotten it.

- Reboot while while hitting F2 to get into the BIOS / UEFI, when the enter password window appears hit "Alt + r", a "Enter rescue password" window will appear, with 2002/01/02 date showing (if not the code won't work), enter the following rescue password : ALAA4ABA

- Change back the date and other settings to their correct values in the BIOS / UEFI, save settings, and you're good.

On the internet, you can even find whole lists of date/password couples to enter in the "Enter recovery password" window, i used the one above which worked perfectly..

I have a lot of Asus products, multiple computers over the years, and have been, and am, very satisfied with all of them. Very good, well made computers, that have never let me down. I never hesitate to recommend ASUS. That being said, I am extremely disappointed with Asus support (fist time I ever contacted them as I never had a problem before). I forgot my UEFI password and they said they couldn't do anything except for me to send my computer back to them (it's under guarantee so it would have been free, but it wasn't practical for me). I spend hours looking for a solution before I found this. It's surch an easy fix I just can't believe Asus support does not know about it.
    I can only imagine the number of laptops being unnecessarily serviced because people forgot their BIOS password.
    And that makes me mad. If your customers have a problem and you have a solution, help them, don't lie to them !

If it is to maintain an "illusion" of better security, it's idiotic. This technique is well known (took me hours to find it because I'm not into this stuff), and if people think their BIOS or UEFi is inpenetrable because they set a password, they should know it's not the case. If you can boot into an OS, you can reset the date, and therefore rest the BIOS / UEFI, period. It's only a problem if you're not aware of it.

Anyway, thanks to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZfFcHtYIRw where I first saw the solution !
    LoL it worked thanks, its amazing that this post hasnt been taken down yet

New ROGer Array

did not work

Quote Originally Posted by vaperoo View Post

i tried this on my GL553V but it did not work. should i try some of thew other date combos. i set my password a while back but never needed it until i noticed there was a bios update available. so i went to go to the bios to update it but none of my usual passwords are working so i'm stuck.

New ROGer Array

BIOS password

Here's another way to recover the BIOS password:
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-ea...windows-10-pc/

But you need to know the serial number or service tag of your computer.

If you're computer technician, you can also get past the BIOS password with the jumper settings. Or boot to a Windows disc or USB and open a command prompt , then use the freeware CMOSPWD to find the BIOS backdoor password:
    https://www.top-password.com/knowled...-password.html

When the above methods don't work, you need to contact the manufacturer to reset it. But you would be asked to prove you're the PC's owner.

New ROGer Array

well i called asus but ,they could not do anything for me so, i just opened it and unplugged the cmos for 5 minutes and plugged it back in. now i don't have the admin password anymore. i am a pc tech by trade so of course i already new about the cmos battery but, i did not want to open my personal laptop . i purchased this new so i could have the warranty and the tech support .asus could do nothing for me besides sending it in to them. so for future reference, do not depend on asus to help you out in this situation.

ROG Member Array

Help me please before i kick laptop out...

I tried all codes from date 05-14, i mean all years, also with Q instead A and no luck. Always Invalid Password.

Was trying all this with Caps Lock on external keyboard.

What else i can do?