cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Intel 750 PCIe SSD slow down boot by 25 seconds?

matrixleader
Level 8
I have been reading on a few forums that the Intel 750 PCIe SSD slows down boot time by 25 seconds but once booted is super fast. Is this true that until this date there hasn't been a solution for this??

I am now worried because I ordered my PC from Origin PC and chose the Intel 750 PCIe SSD as my main OS drive only to learn about this last night

very disappointed

Do you think ASUS' motherboard BIOS can do something to help this slow down or one would have to wait for some firmware update for it to be fixed?
5 REPLIES 5

matrixleader
Level 8
I just called Origin PC's tech support asking them about this and they said they haven't had any complaints with regards to boot times so I wonder if they must've figured a way in the BIOS settings or something to eliminate this slow boot time before shipping out their systems to customers? 25 seconds sounds horrible! heck, I thought the 8 seconds that my external 4TB USB HDD adds to my boot time was bad....

Karl-Johan
Level 7
Intel is looking into this:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/75676
Fractal Design North Svart TG * AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 145MB * ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero * G.Skill 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 Neo * Crucial T700 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 5 * ASUS ROG Ryuo III 240 A-RGB * ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X OC Edition * be quiet! Dark Power 13 1000W * ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K * Dali Mentor Menuet SE 2.0 * Windows 11 Pro x64 Canary Insider

Menthol
Level 14
matrixleader,
In my personal experience using an Intel 1.2 TB 750 difference in boot speeds negligible, anything on the motherboard that you don't use, such as in my case, the wireless and BT adapter, the Asmedia SATA adapter I have disabled, this more than makes up for maybe 2 seconds of additional boot of the pcie drive. It's just not something to worry about. Enjoy that beast you will be glad you got that drive.

Menthol wrote:
matrixleader,
In my personal experience using an Intel 1.2 TB 750 difference in boot speeds negligible, anything on the motherboard that you don't use, such as in my case, the wireless and BT adapter, the Asmedia SATA adapter I have disabled, this more than makes up for maybe 2 seconds of additional boot of the pcie drive. It's just not something to worry about. Enjoy that beast you will be glad you got that drive.

Thanks a lot, this gives me a relief....

On a side note, once my system arrives I will disable onboard WLAN and onboard Sound since I have a separate Sound Blaster Zx and a USB WLAN card so maybe that would help a bit

Menthol wrote:
matrixleader,

On my opinion that is not fully correct. To see the difference just take a look at Windows boot process video on YouTube with a SM951 SSD. I have SSD 750 on Rampage V Extreme too and it's drives me crazy to see the long boot process. According to Intel SSD 750 specs the controller of the SSD needs about 12 seconds to initialize itself. Possibly it is a re-enumeration of PCIe devices on boot process, which restarts the drive. It takes than these 12 Seconds to boot and to start reading from flash. The system is just waiting...
The second issue with this drive is standby mode. It takes the same 12 seconds to wake from sleep now.

It is a very important bug and needs to be fixed by Intel/ASUS.