cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HELP] CPU Input Voltage High and Stuck at 4.080V - RED - Maximus VII Genie -

PresidentSkroob
Level 7
As you can see from the screenshot, "Dual Intelligent Processors 5" AISuite 3 apps is reporting that the CPU Input Voltage is 4.080 V and is highlighted in red. This value also appears in the BIOS.

Despite my efforts trying to manually override the CPU Input Voltage, either in the BIOS or in the AISuite app, the 4.080 V reading remains.

I started getting some nasty reboots of late and am concerned my CPU has been damaged by this high voltage. I swapped in an old i3 and it is running fine again with no reboots. However, the high CPU Input Voltage of 4.080 V persists.

In trying to isolate the problem, I also tried swapping in a second PSU and removing all internal peripherals - nothing fixes the 4.080 V reading.

I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version and am running Windows 8.1.

BIOS settings have been set to Optimized Defaults.

Is my motherboard the problem? It is still under warranty, thank you!

23 REPLIES 23

FZero
Level 7
Hey PresidentSkroob and welcome to the forum.

I know this will sound stupid but did you remember to save settings after you changed them in Bios ?
I don't know if you mentioned it but if you have 2 sticks of memory try taking 1 module out and try again in a different spot.

Could we get a screenshot from your Bios to see what is happening ?
You can save a screenshot in Bios using a USB stick and pressing F12 in Bios.

Nate152
hello PresidentSkroob

The voltage reading is wrong, your cpu would be toast before it even got close to 4.08v.

You could try uninstalling ai suite and flashing the bios again or to a different version.

Uninstall ai suite in your programs then run this cleaner.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34503-AI-Suite-III-Cleaner

Here is a guide you can follow to flash the bios.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Nate152 wrote:
hello PresidentSkroob

The voltage reading is wrong, your cpu would be toast before it even got close to 4.08v.

I thought the same thing but i wondered why would he getting reboots and as he says : This value also appears in the BIOS. That is why i asked him to show us a screenshot of the Bios.

Of course i realize the reboots could be some other problem. I'm really interested to see what the Bios says.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Yet another reason not to use AI Suite.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

PresidentSkroob
Level 7
I've removed AI Suite and ran the removal tool as well.

Will try the BIOS flash method linked. Seems according to the screenshot that BIOS is not currently up to date despite my assumption it was. I used MAXIMUS VII GENE BIOS 2702, maybe it didn't flash properly... odd.

Trying to override the value

Nate152
All right, let us know if flashing the bios gets your voltage back to normal.

PresidentSkroob
Level 7
I flash the BIOS again using MAXIMUS VII GENE BIOS 2702 found on this page:
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_GENE/HelpDesk_Download/

Still stuck at 4.080V =\

I find it confusing that the download is marked 2702 with a date of 2015/05/27. Yet the screenshot shows the version of the BIOS at 2.16.1240, but maybe this value just represents the BIOS Utility and not the BIOS itself...? Or maybe I am not correctly flashing.

I tried to use the ROG connect method but it did not work despite follow directions.

So I flashed the BIOS from within the BIOS Utility.

Nate152
That's the strangest thing.

Install ROG cpu-z and see what the cpu core voltage is showing.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/CPU-Z-ROG.shtml

EDIT: Never mind that is a different voltage I see the vcore is at 1.152v and temp is 32c.

The Initial cpu input voltage should be around 1.70v

Is Core VID 0.813v the CPU Input Voltage?