cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel OC question

_TRG__Kicker
Level 7
So im not new to OC but i am new to intel. Been using AMD for 10+ years now. OC amd is a bit different when it comes to "Normal" temps than Intel.

Bios version = 0901 (upgrading that today to the latest)
So to my question. I decided to run a bios check and do a short burn in on the cpu last night and make sure i dont have any defective parts. In the bios just for burning in i enabled the XMP profile and clock the cpu up.

So under the bios i have the following.
cpu = 5930k
oc tuner = xmp
ddr4 = 3000
cpu strap = 125
bclk frequency = 125
core ratio limit = 35 (4375MHz)
core voltage = auto (1.32)
cpu cache voltage = auto (1.2)
and alot more auto settings in the volts.

Now to the question. Just sitting in the bios i have the following temps. Current room temp is 22c
cpu = 48c
mobo = 26c
pch = 30c
t_sensor = 34c (t_sensor1 is placed in between the cpu and the water block)
t_sensor2 = 26c (sensor plug placed just after the 1st water block)

Are those about normal temps for the intel chip sitting in the bios? For me thats about 15c higher than my old 8350 OC @ 4.8. I know intel chips run higher. Just trying to get a feel for this chip.

Thanks,
Kicker
2 REPLIES 2

Praz
Level 13
' Kicker;516729' wrote:
So im not new to OC but i am new to intel. Been using AMD for 10+ years now. OC amd is a bit different when it comes to "Normal" temps than Intel.

Bios version = 0901 (upgrading that today to the latest)
So to my question. I decided to run a bios check and do a short burn in on the cpu last night and make sure i dont have any defective parts. In the bios just for burning in i enabled the XMP profile and clock the cpu up.

So under the bios i have the following.
cpu = 5930k
oc tuner = xmp
ddr4 = 3000
cpu strap = 125
bclk frequency = 125
core ratio limit = 35 (4375MHz)
core voltage = auto (1.32)
cpu cache voltage = auto (1.2)
and alot more auto settings in the volts.

Now to the question. Just sitting in the bios i have the following temps. Current room temp is 22c
cpu = 48c
mobo = 26c
pch = 30c
t_sensor = 34c (t_sensor1 is placed in between the cpu and the water block)
t_sensor2 = 26c (sensor plug placed just after the 1st water block)

Are those about normal temps for the intel chip sitting in the bios? For me thats about 15c higher than my old 8350 OC @ 4.8. I know intel chips run higher. Just trying to get a feel for this chip.

Thanks,
Kicker

Hello

When booted into the BIOS/UEFI a CPU will always be under partial load so an elevated CPU temperature is to be expected. Intel CPU temperatures cannot be compared to AMD. AND CPU temperatures shown in the UEFI are from the CPU socket sensor. AS Intel CPUs have working temperature sensors the reported CPU temperature shown in the UEFI is an average of the CPU socket and package temperatures. Also, anything placed between the CPU and heatsink will not allow for proper contact between the two.

_TRG__Kicker
Level 7
Thanks Praz for the reply.

Ill end up nuking that xmp OC profile once i get my OS loaded. I just wanted to get everything powered up to check for hardware issues. That temp sensor is not my normal thing. I wanted to use it to watch my temps durring my first check. Its not in there far and is only on the top right corner of the cpu. Really i was using it just to make sure everything is working right. So yes i get what you are saying. I guess the temps of the cpu in its current state are ok until i get my OS loaded up and do alittle stress testing.