cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM speed support for 64GB on an X-99 Deluxe?

matrixleader
Level 8
So I ordered the system you see in my sig through origin, but the thing is, the more RAM capacity I chose the lesser the speed

For example, I could order 32 GB @ 2666 MHz or 16GB @ 2800 MHz but when choosing 64GB the max speed they allowed me to configure the system with was 2400 MHz

Now on XOTIC PC, for 64GB you could also choose 2666 MHz. RAM

I called ORIGIN asking them what's up with that and why won't they allow me to choose faster RAM, they said that is due to stability issues.

Is that true? Can I really not upgrade the RAM to 64GB 2800 MHz in the future?

is this a BIOS issue or RAM issue?
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15
Neither.

It's a matter of the CPU's IMC. If it's a quality one, you can run 64GB 2800MHz without hiccups. If not, you'll have to settle for slower speeds.

Chino wrote:
Neither.

It's a matter of the CPU's IMC. If it's a quality one, you can run 64GB 2800MHz without hiccups. If not, you'll have to settle for slower speeds.

ah so it's a matter of trial and error?

I ordered the 5930K CPU

When I get my system, if I take it to the computer shops and let them install faster RAM, what sort of tests do I need to do to ensure its stable and not just that it can boot?

Chino
Level 15
More like luck. If you get a quality CPU with a strong IMC, you can probably do 64GB at 2800MHz. Have them run 5 to 6 passes of HCI Memtest.

Chino wrote:
More like luck. If you get a quality CPU with a strong IMC, you can probably do 64GB at 2800MHz. Have them run 5 to 6 passes of HCI Memtest.

thank you chief