cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Maximum Storage?

james_ye
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I just got my G751 CH71. I have few questions that need answers. I saw a post about 4th Drive to g751. So where is the 3rd drive went to? As I aware, there is 3 slots; 2 slots in primary bay and 1 slot in secondary bay.

I am aware that I do not have bracket for m2 SSD. Is the bracket available yet in the market?

Currently I have two 1TB SSHD installed in both bays.

Any feedback from MOD SSD installations? good or bad.

If you believe all these questions were answered before, kindly guide me instead of bumping...

regards.
4 REPLIES 4

Edweird
Level 10
Congratulations on your new acquisition - it is one of many quirks and unanswered questions, but it will serve you well.

These have all been answered - but it's easier to just answer everything here. You can get 1 M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot, strip down a SATA3 SSD (ones up to 256GB) to just the board and plug that into the SATA socket in the same compartment, put in another drive in the regular compartment in the right side (under the RAM) and use a drive bay caddy to swap out the optical drive for another drive, totalling 4. Be aware that as far as I know (others can correct me), the M.2 will run at up to 1.5GB/s at the moment (doesn't seem to reach the 2GB/s of the interface), one of the drives will run at SATA3, the other bay drive will run at SATA2 and the optical bay drive will run at SATA1 speeds. Again, these are my observations.

The bracket is available, yes.
http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-13NB06F1M04011

Edweird wrote:
Congratulations on your new acquisition - it is one of many quirks and unanswered questions, but it will serve you well.

These have all been answered - but it's easier to just answer everything here. You can get 1 M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot, strip down a SATA3 SSD (ones up to 256GB) to just the board and plug that into the SATA socket in the same compartment, put in another drive in the regular compartment in the right side (under the RAM) and use a drive bay caddy to swap out the optical drive for another drive, totalling 4. Be aware that as far as I know (others can correct me), the M.2 will run at up to 1.5GB/s at the moment (doesn't seem to reach the 2GB/s of the interface), one of the drives will run at SATA3, the other bay drive will run at SATA2 and the optical bay drive will run at SATA1 speeds. Again, these are my observations.

The bracket is available, yes.
http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-13NB06F1M04011

Basically spot on, though you can run larger SATA SSDs along side the M.2. drive. XDR has a good example with a 1TB SSD over on my thread here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58104-How-to-add-a-4th-drive-to-your-G751&p=487652&viewful...

Using a physically smaller 256GB drives is still hacky, but not as much as using larger drives... if that makes sense. Either way you are running the drive bare and losing your warranty, but you avoid additional work making accommodations for the larger drive.

Using the method that XDR demonstrates means you don't need the M.2 bracket as well.

james_ye
Level 7
Hi Edweird

Thank you for a quick answer. As they will seem to have different speed and different types, read and write speed will be dragged down significantly if I were to do Raid 0 or Raid 1. I do have limited knowledge when it comes to Raid tech.

Edweird
Level 10
That having been said, I have seen SSDs (AData comes to mind) that don't seem to have any way of showing that the case has been opened...you just take 4 hex/torq screws out and have at it. No stickers or anything...

But personally I would be wary of stacking silicon like that with operating temperatures nearing 60 degrees inside a G751. Sure it's roomy and ventilated but the less heat sources there's in there the better in my book.

Still, cramming a M.2 and a SATA3 SSD in that pocket is damn cool.