cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Slow Graphics on Battery

cuniac
Level 7
I took my laptop to work today so I could get some gaming in on my lunch, and noticed it was very slow. It seemed like it wasn't even running off of the GPU just the Intel integrated graphics. I don't have this issue when its plugged in. Is there anyway to force it to use the GPU when on battery or to try to find out what is actually going on?
9 REPLIES 9

joshindaphils
Level 11
Make sure you are on the 'balanced' power profile and check the BatteryBoost setting under Preferences in GeForce Experience.

You will never get full performance when you are on battery, as the battery cannot safely deliver the power required. You may very well need to dial back the settings to game at the frame rate you want on battery power.

Jlieu
Level 7
You want to damage the battery? because that's how you damage the battery.
Change the power option to high performance and you will get better speed.

It was on high Performance 😞

Jlieu wrote:
You want to damage the battery? because that's how you damage the battery.
Change the power option to high performance and you will get better speed.

Huh? Is that a response to me? You most certainly won't damage your battery doing as I stated, it will simply provide the best performance you can get on battery.

Balanced in Win8.x is effectively the same as high performance in Win 7. So in essence you gave the same advice regarding the power plan...

Nope, sorry. Gaming on battery are always not recommended. you may try to touch your battery after gaming. Its hot ..and i guess u know why.

lmujaj
Level 7
ASUS G751JY using an average of 183 watts (ours psu is 230watts) during 3D stress test... only GPU uses 122 W ,50% of all the power comes from psu ... so gaming in battery is bad idai bcoze batter NEVER AND EVER can provide such an energy to fulfill the gpu...

PS: you guys just buy the highest price laptop or before you buy you know his components and how they works ?

cuniac
Level 7
I don't expect it to pull full FPS by any means on Battery. All I'm getting at is that I tried playing Resident Evil 4 HD, and it was going at the same FPS as my surface pro 2. I know the GPU wont be running on full as its just to much power. But it felt as if it was not even using the GPU.

Jlieu wrote:
Nope, sorry. Gaming on battery are always not recommended. you may try to touch your battery after gaming. Its hot ..and i guess u know why.

News at 11: The more you use your battery the shorter it's life will be. Noted, thanks.

cuniac wrote:
I don't expect it to pull full FPS by any means on Battery. All I'm getting at is that I tried playing Resident Evil 4 HD, and it was going at the same FPS as my surface pro 2. I know the GPU wont be running on full as its just to much power. But it felt as if it was not even using the GPU.

That should be a very easy game to run. Did you check your BatteryBoost settings? It defaults to 30FPS.

unclewebb
Level 10
Most performance oriented gaming laptops will severely throttle both the CPU and GPU when you try to play a game on battery power. It doesn't matter what power profile you choose, it is still going to throttle and it will give you frame rates that are pretty much unplayable. You can surf the net and send some email while on battery power but beyond that, these laptops will become slow and sluggish. This is disappointing for users that have been told other wise.