cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI Express Slot 3 posting to slot 1... Also can't run 2 way CFX in 16x/16x?????

Radeson
Level 7
hello all,

Today i wanted to switch from 3-way Crossfire to 2-way by means of turning off the #2 PCI switch on the motherboard. I currently have 3 GPU's (Sapphire Radeon R9 290). The middle card has a dif BIOS and elpidia mem, the other 2 cards have the same BIOS and Hynix RAM.... (Totally not related, but FYI) Sometimes the middle card gives me trouble and i shutdown to switch it off so I can run 2x CFX in 16x/16x in the 1st and 3rd slot like its supposed to be.
Well, today i did just that. I went into GPU-z and noticed the second card was running at 8x. So i went to BIOS and checked to see if i could force gen 3 PCI.. Well one of the issues is gen 3 isnt even listed anymore on the PCI options????

Also, the MAIN issue im having is the 3rd card down is POSTing to the 2nd slot when 2 switches are on (1st and 3rd).... When I turn all but the 3rd switch off it posts to the 1st PCI express slot in PCI express post in BIOS. When I have all three switches on they post fine (16x/8x/8x) in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd slot. IDK what to do. When I have JUST the 3rd on it posts to the 1st slot....

Also I just flashed the newest BIOS in like a week ago. This issue wasnt happening before. When i would switch off the second switch the cards would run in 16x/16x and post to the proper slots..... PLEASE HELP.... I have also tried clearing CMOS. I havent rolled back BIOS yet, I wanted to see if i could get a fix first....

5025350254[ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]
4 REPLIES 4

Radeson
Level 7
nobody??

samboy87
Level 9
Go to PCI NB configuration in bios and force to gen 3. Be sure to use the 2 cards in slot 1-3 to get 16x/16x if u use 1-2 slots you will get 16x/8x. After you reseated the cards be sure to load default settings in bios.

Radeson
Level 7
tried that.... it wont even let me force gen 3. and the cards are posting to the next slot upwhen the cards above them are disabled

what do you mean with ''it wont let me force to gen 3? '' i think you still look in the wrong settings ''PCIE'' where you would only see Gen 1 and 2. but in
''PCI NB configuration'' you will see Gen 3. try to take out all gfx cards and. enable all PCI-E slots on the motherboard and only put in 2 cards in slot 1 and 3.

do you use an M.2? if so try to unplug it and disable it.