CPU Cooler: Watercooling using double 3x120 rads, with EKwb for cpu and gpus

PC CASE: mountianmods u2-ufo

Operating system: can not install will be win7

Drivers Installed (include version info):

no drivers installed yet.

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: None

System Overclocked (provide details)?: No not yet

Issue

mother board started with bios 0901. With this bios i can see my m.2 samsung sm951. Updated the bios using the ez flash utility and i could no longer see my m.2 ssd drive. Rolled back to 0901 and i had no issues. the drive is visible after the roll back.
25 REPLIES 25

Chino
Level 15
I'm currently on the 1502 BIOS. Can't speak for the SM951. But the motherboard has no problem picking up my Plextor M6e.

Try reflashing your BIOS without the SM951 installed. After update, proceed to clear the CMOS. Then install the SM951 again. See if that helps.

If you mean Spam F8 to see the devices, I couldn't see the SM 951 prior to installing W8.1 Pro. I flashed to 1502 via USB (FlashBack?) before even mounting the CPU/RAM.

It is a fresh build - RVE w/1502, SM 951 M.2, W8.1 Pro. My first M.2 drive, first UEFI OS install, heck, first ASUS board. I could never see anything to indicate the SM 951 even existed in the system and couldn't get my DVD drive to show up as UEFI (and honestly never really figured if it was supposed to be, but Chino's guide seemed to indicate it was a possibility). I wondered if the M.2 drive was bricked or not seated, but figured I'd pop an OS at it and see what happened.

So I made a bootable USB stick and it had no problem picking that up as a UEFI option, but it wasn't until Windows was installing that I saw a destination - Drive 0 I think it was. After getting the OS installed, the SM 951 is now C: just like you'd expect, and it shows up in the F8 list. I had little confidence until I saw Windows was installing someplace and there was only one drive mounted.

Not sure if this is the issue the OP was having, but I went ahead and installed an OS without ever seeing any drives in my system. And it seems to be working fine.

_TRG__Kicker
Level 7
I played with this for about 5 hours last night. REmoved the stick did all sorts of things. The OS wouldnt install and even reported that i needed to configure this in the bios. Tried many little adjustments including a bone stock bios. Rolled the bios back to the native 0901 and bam there it was. Just couldnt get the bios to see the m2 drive.

' Kicker;517433' wrote:
The OS wouldnt install and even reported that i needed to configure this in the bios.

What was the exact error message that you got?

_TRG__Kicker
Level 7
Wish i could remember the exact error. It was late and i was going on 20 hours at that time.

skypine27
Level 7
OP:

Im also using the Samsung SM951 as my boot (and Star Citizen HAH!!) drive.

My board also came with 0901, but back then I was using the XP941 which I later replaced with the SM951. Anyway, have you tried 1401? Thats what Im running and it sees the SM951 just fine. I have not yet tried 1502 however.
*CPU: Intel 10980XE @ 5.0 ghz (by Core usage) w/ EK monoblock
*Mobo: Asus Rampage VIE
*RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000 G.Skill TridentZ
*Graphics: Gigabite 3090 Waterforce
*Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW @ 120hz
*Storage OS: Samsung SM970 Pro (2TB) Windows 10
*Storage Games Internal: 4TB 850 EVO RAID0
*Storage Extermal: 48TB Raid0 (External USB 3.1 Box)
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU

CoolMan
Level 7
The m2 is shared with one of the pcie slots, what cards have you and in what slots?

_TRG__Kicker
Level 7
coolman. the black slot which is the x8 slot has nothing in it. my GFX cards are in the red slot 1 and 3. I know that the x8 slot (black) is shared with the m.2. I have the 5930k so i also have the 40 lanes of cpu support.

I might give the 1401 bios a try. Right now everything is stable at 4.3OC cpu and ram is at 2800 on bios 901. Im only at 1.28 volts on the cpu so when i get my monoblock for my cpu and VRM ill clock up further and see how it goes. temps under coretemp when running stress test for 30 mins work out to about 52c. Just need to cool that vrm better. Maybe i won the cpu lottery? Just wont run the latest bios.

' Kicker;517740' wrote:
coolman. the black slot which is the x8 slot has nothing in it. my GFX cards are in the red slot 1 and 3. I know that the x8 slot (black) is shared with the m.2. I have the 5930k so i also have the 40 lanes of cpu support.

Hello

The last red x16 PCIe slot shares bandwidth with the m.2 slot. This also needs to be properly configured in the UEFI.