cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FX-9590 cant handle Crossfire Asus R290x Matrix?

jarokamaro007
Level 7
Hi.I just instaled 2nd GPU and i dont have better performance in games (Project Cars,Witcher 3 ) they work better wit single GPU 😞 any ideas why is that??
6 REPLIES 6

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
My experience would suggest several possibilities, but we'd need more information:

1. Ensure that you have the absolute latest AMD drivers (I had to update to the newest beta driver to get Crossfire performance for the Witcher 3).
2. Ensure that your AMD crossfire ribbon cable is correctly connected (I'm sure it is, but it has to be mentioned).
3. Ensure that the VBIOS for both cards is the same (different card series have different specs sometimes, even on otherwise identical cards)

You aren't likely to see a doubling in performance with a second GPU, but you should see a little improvement, at least. What is your process that you use to determine performance differences between two cards and one?

Z

jarokamaro007
Level 7
Hi.I have latest 15.6 Beta Drivers...and same BIOS for both cards..and there is no crossfire cable because those cards using Pcie instead of cable...i games i have no more fps with 2 cards compare to one GPU 😞

NemesisChild
Level 12
You will positively need the AMD crossfire bridge to ensure peak performance.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

jarokamaro007
Level 7
sory but there is no crossfire bridge for R290x Matrix platinum....

Korth
Level 14
It can depend a lot on which games you play. Some games make poor use of multi-GPU resources, many games are not AMD-optimized (because they're NVidia-optimized), and a few games (like BF4) combine worst-case extremes in a way which gives truly dismal performance gains from CrossFire. Game/Catalyst patches and updates can sometimes help a lot.

Just covering the basics -
- Your bridgeless CrossFire link may be saturating the PCIe bus, remove or disable any PCIe cards you don't need. (Oddly, in this instance you might actually see more fps with a regular SATA SSD RAID than with your RAIDR card.)
- Your BIOS might have options for PCIe lane allocation or signal prioritization which can help.
- You could also try bumping your PCIe bus voltage in the BIOS. This doesn't ever seem to really do anything useful (and is usually best left untouched), but this seems like a situation where it could make a real difference.
- Your two 290X cards will suck a lot of power at full load, hopefully your PSU is beefy enough and you've used the optional GPU-boosting motherboard power connector so the GPUs aren't being throttled. (I think your 1300W PSU should be good enough ... but those high-end AMD cards are real powersucking heat pigs.)
- Your system might be throttling the GPUs because they're too hot, if so then you need a GPU cooling upgrade.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Korth covered everything I was going to say. +1

Z