cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noctua PWM fans + Asus Fan Xpert Software Question

Revan654
Level 7
1. Going be building my first PC shortly. I have Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans for both intake and exhaust fans, Should I use the Low-Noise Adaptor if I plan to use Asus Fan Xpert software?
2. Any tips when using Asus Xpert fan? Is their presets I can use if I don't know what I am doing. I don't want to set both Intake & exhaust off by mistake and screw up my PC.
3 REPLIES 3

GoNz0-
Level 10
no need for the low noise adapter as they run around 200-300 on lowest depending on the model of fan. Set them up in the bios 1st via the monitor section, I would avoid letting BIOS run the fan speed test as it screws it up as it is crap tbh. Fan curves can be left on standard PWM or a custom setting if you have water cooling and want rads with temp sensors cooled like I do, then it is 20% at 20 degrees c, 50% at 30c and 100 at 40c as it never gets that high unless you are in a heatwave!

Korth
Level 14
Noctua's low noise adapters are just inline resistors which reduce the voltage available to the fan so it spins at lower rpms. They're meant to provide a lower-rpm (and lower noise) option only for motherboards which do not support 4-pin PWM fans. If the mobo has PWM fan control (as every current Asus mobo does) then it can already fully control the rpms without these adapters and lower-rpms (lower noise) can be configured through firmware/software settings.

They're basically useless for you, aside from keeping around to use on other systems or as spare parts.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

maap74352
Level 7
I have a Noctua NF-A14 for my rear exhaust and two Noctua NF-F12 on my Corsair H105 liquid cooler. The main reason I buy Noctua or Cougar is to run them at max speed. Anything over 26db annoys me, I can hear it and most other fans are in the 30's and in that case I can see using the attenuator or reducing the speed via the fan controller but I don't hear these guys at all. They have such good airflow and very low noise. No reason to reduce the speed. That's why you pay the extra money for them. I have the fan controller section that controls them off, and just set em at full speed.

Only advice I can offer concerning Noctura is to make sure it's the model you want. Bought a couple of NF-S12A, 107 cfm, 17db. I was happy until I realized I need a high static pressure to push air through the radiator. The NF-S12A have only 1.1 mm H2O (static pressure). Had to buy another set, the NF-F12. Lower airflow, 93 cfm, higher noise, 22db but 2.8 mm H2O. much better for a radiator. NF-S12A make a good case fan but not for cpu or radiator.
Desktop:> Intel i7-6850K/ASUS Rampage 5E/64GB Corsair 3000Mhz DDR4/ASUS PB287Q 28" 4k UHD 60Hz Display
Dual EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3's in SLI/500GB Samsung Evo 960 M.2 SSD
/8TB Seagate Barracuda Pro HDD/Win 10 Pro x64

Laptop:> ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VS/Intel i7-7700HQ/32GB 2400MHz DDR4/GTX 1070 8GB/15.6" 120Hz FHD G-SYNC Display
128GB SATA III M.2 SSD/2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD HD/Win 10 Pro x64