cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Okay to use G751 1.35v Ram with 1.50v Ram from G75VW?

Bad_S3kt0r
Level 7
Hi, I recently upgraded my ram from 16gb to 24gb with 2x4gb sticks of DDR3L ram. They have the exact same memory timings as the ram thats presently in the system, and were pulled from a G75VW.

However, I noticed in CPU-Z the sticks come up as 1.50v and the original samsung sticks post as 1.35. I read in the sticky "notes before buying 751" that you should only use 1.35v ram.

Should I remove this ram? If so, is it a problem that I'm using this ram?
Intel 3770k
Corsair H100i GTX
ROG Maximus V Extreme
32GB Corsair Vengeance (4x8GB)
MSI 980ti Gaming 6GB
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
Corsair HX850
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
-------
ROG Asus G751JY-DB72
6 REPLIES 6

ROGTWAT
Level 7
It's a problem to use 1,5V RAM when 1,35V is the maximum, yes. You can actually fry your CPU with that. Lucky for you, it may not have touched the extra ram yet.

Why would you need more than 16GB RAM on a Laptop anyway? That said, 32 is a better option, 24GB doesn't make too much sense.
ASUS G751JY | i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M | 16GB RAM | M.2 SSD + HDD | WIN 10

Edweird
Level 10
I don't want to go against what ROGTWAT is saying but It's not gonna literally fry your CPU, hah. Over time, maybe after months it /may/ eventually damage something but my dad's K95 has been running on 1.5v memory for almost 2 years no with no issues. (ASUS people like MarshallR confirm this.)

It's supposed to strain the memory controller a bit more and thus increasing temperatures slightly - but you should definitely not keep it in there. If something does go bad, you're gonna feel it. Also, it creates compatibility issues sometimes. I tried using 1.5V HyperX PnP sticks in my G751 and it took much longer to boot, it looked like it was making internal software changes to account for the differences - but the memory did function just fine and passed 2 memtests.

Kudos on the 16GB memory, entirely sufficient. I've not been able to go over 7GB with anything I've done on mine yet. Besides, 24GB won't run at full dual channel speeds so you'll see diminishing returns. The G751s are set up (okay, it sucks that 2 of the slots are not accessible, but this kind of compensates) so that if you have 8GB to begin with, one of the 2 user accessible slots would match that and you'd have 16 gigs of dual channel goodness. 24 means you'll have 8 gigs running solo.

Bad_S3kt0r
Level 7
Interesting, I'll take them out. But Please note that the JY Configurations do have 24gb of ram in select models.

Also, I'd like to note that in the BIOS and in CPU-Z it mentions that the ram is running in dual channel. I'd like to get matching 1.35v sticks though. I like having this laptop maxed as much as possible but I'm not sure where to find these sticks.
Intel 3770k
Corsair H100i GTX
ROG Maximus V Extreme
MSI 980ti Gaming 6GB
Corsair HX850
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
-------
ROG Asus G751JY-DB72

Bad S3kt0r wrote:
Interesting, I'll take them out. But Please note that the JY Configurations do have 24gb of ram in select models.

Also, I'd like to note that in the BIOS and in CPU-Z it mentions that the ram is running in dual channel. I'd like to get matching 1.35v sticks though. I like having this laptop maxed as much as possible but I'm not sure where to find these sticks.

I know that they do and constantly wonder why. I find that most of those configs are retailer-specific SKUs. They stick some random brand in there and call it a balance.

Yes, you will see that in various software it reports as dual channel but if you use software that analyses this on a module basis you will see that on one of the modules it says single channel.

The sticks used in our laptops are either Samsung or Hynix OEM stuff. They're hard to come by and you usually find them being sold as being taken out of these same units. Samsung sticks are decent but the Hyundai/Hynix modules score really low in performance benchmarks.

If you're willing, I'd go to my local ASUS warranty service store, ask them for a deal on 4x8GB sticks of something like Kingston PNP modules, Corsair Vengeance, whatever you like, and ask them to do the install for you - I've done this and as long as you buy the stuff from their store, they don't mind using your warranty privileges to access the machine and do whatever needs to be done. It's worth a try.

Edweird wrote:
I know that they do and constantly wonder why. I find that most of those configs are retailer-specific SKUs. They stick some random brand in there and call it a balance.

Yes, you will see that in various software it reports as dual channel but if you use software that analyses this on a module basis you will see that on one of the modules it says single channel.

The sticks used in our laptops are either Samsung or Hynix OEM stuff. They're hard to come by and you usually find them being sold as being taken out of these same units. Samsung sticks are decent but the Hyundai/Hynix modules score really low in performance benchmarks.

If you're willing, I'd go to my local ASUS warranty service store, ask them for a deal on 4x8GB sticks of something like Kingston PNP modules, Corsair Vengeance, whatever you like, and ask them to do the install for you - I've done this and as long as you buy the stuff from their store, they don't mind using your warranty privileges to access the machine and do whatever needs to be done. It's worth a try.

I removed the other two sticks, and ran CPU-Z to determine the ones shipped with the laptop are Samsung. I've found some online, but since I'm in Canada, I don't think they're around.
Intel 3770k
Corsair H100i GTX
ROG Maximus V Extreme
MSI 980ti Gaming 6GB
Corsair HX850
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
-------
ROG Asus G751JY-DB72

It should be relatively easy to find an internationally shipping store that has them pulled out of various laptops on eBay. I found the Hynix ones pretty quick. Just literally copy and paste the part number from CPU-Z