cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501JW Screen Flickering !!!!!!

Xiaogui93
Level 7
i just got my laptop today and it already starts flickering when i play games? u call this a gaming laptop seriously? Asus, please do something about it....:mad::mad:
18 REPLIES 18

Big_Boy_Marky
Level 7
Having the same problem but even just looking at chrome makes my screen flicker. Here's the other thread that's exhibiting the same problems
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?65285-Screen-Flickering-with-a-brand-new-G501JW-in-3D-mode

Gloryhol3
Level 7
I just posted on another thread, but I uninstalled my Intel HD graphics driver, and am only running on the GeForce driver, and that seems to have fixed it. I will give it a week to see if the flickering comes back, but if this fixes it, it would appear that there is a problem when the computer switches between discrete and integrated. That or the intel graphics driver just causes problems here. Beware, battery life drops by about 2 hours if you do this.

Gloryhol3 wrote:
...it would appear that there is a problem when the computer switches between discrete and integrated.

Based solely on anecdotal comments on the Internet (:p), my hunch is that this problem is Optimus related. That might explain why Linux users don't seem to run into it, as NVIDIA doesn't officially support dynamic GPU switching on Linux (on Linux this requires Bumblebee; Nouveau Prime is also an option on Linux, but I wouldn't recommend Nouveau).

Gloryhol3 wrote:
...or the intel graphics driver just causes problems here.

Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling discrete graphics, and just running integrated graphics?

Gloryhol3 wrote:
Beware, battery life drops by about 2 hours if you do this.

If running discrete graphics full-time, you could reduce screen brightness, turn off keyboard backlighting, etc in an attempt to extend the battery life to something approaching passable, but as a consumer you really shouldn't be put in the position of having to jump through hoops such as disabling integrated graphics or disabling discrete graphics, repetitively uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, etc.

---

For those who have run into issues, I hope you are mindful of the return & exchange policy of wherever you purchased the G501JW. IMO, you will likely have a less aggravating customer service experience returning the laptop than dealing with ASUS representatives.

I have not tried to run only the intel graphics driver yet... I was waiting to see if the problem comes back to check it off the list.

Whenever i run power saver mode, aka unplugged for me, I always turn the backlight keyboard off and keep the brightness at half, at most.

Good to know about the linux problems... I was going to install a VM on here for school, but I bet I would run into problems there too. You may be right: it might just be easier to return it for the full refund before my window runs out. It's a shame if that's what I have to do as i really do love the machine.. except for those things.

Gloryhol3 wrote:
Whenever i run power saver mode, aka unplugged for me, I always turn the backlight keyboard off and keep the brightness at half, at most.

What Power management mode is set in the NVIDIA Control Panel?

Gloryhol3 wrote:
Good to know about the linux problems... I was going to install a VM on here for school, but I bet I would run into problems there too.

I'm not sure if I have interpreted you correctly, but I wanted to clarify that the state of Optimus support in Linux has no bearing in a Linux VM with Windows as the host OS. Also, if you have enabled 3D acceleration for a VM, and you want the hypervisor to access the host's discrete graphics, but it is accessing integrated graphics instead, you can add the hypervisor program in the NVIDIA Control Panel ("Manage 3D Settings" > "Program Settings"), and "Select the preferred graphics processor for this program".

Good news.

Download BIOS 209
#Fixed eDP Panel Power Sequence not correct after S3 resume, Panel will abnormal after wake up0 from panel-off.

p/s: I myself don't own G501 but I have been following this thread since it was created because I was interested in this laptop. I got myself MSI ge62 eventually.

whatsapp
Level 7
amazing. I like your system refirgeracion
I was thinking about buying something similar
sorry you have these problems, it scares me

whatsapp wrote:
amazing. I like your system refirgeracion
I was thinking about buying something similar
sorry you have these problems, it scares me

"refirgeracion"?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

If anybody has the time and interest, can you please provide the information below about your G501JW unit to help investigate if the flickering issue could be related to the vga driver versions used (not sure if it's related or not right now)?

1. Intel and nVidia VGA driver versions you are running. For troubleshooting purposes at least ASUS prefers you stick to the vga driver versions posted on the ASUS download site for your model to confirm those are working okay before trying newer versions from other sources.
The ASUS G501JW download site has nVividia driver V9.18.13.4752 and Intel driver V10.18.14.4062.01 posted if anybody wants to compare.

1a. Windows version or OS that you are running.

2. If you are seeing flickering or not for your G501JW unit. Even those who don't see flickering can help by providing the driver versions they are using to help check if it's related to drivers.

2a. If you are seeing the flickering for your unit, can you provide more details about what you are doing and what is looks like?
Thanks to Spindrift for the video at post #27 in the link below which shows some flickering that you can compare with your unit if you see it.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?70256-Has-anyone-NOT-had-flickering-and-or-pixelation-on-t...

Thanks also to aldel for the post, but aldel's description at post #1 below about the flickering appears different from Spindrift's, so wondering if they are both caused by the same problem, or if there could be 2 different kinds of flickering caused by different problems?
Aldel also has more information about the flickering as well as a video in the post.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?70256-Has-anyone-NOT-had-flickering-and-or-pixelation-on-t...

aldel wrote:

• The screen flickers like a fast strobe light. It's a bit like a fluorescent light, but it's a stronger effect than you get with a good, modern fluorescent bulb. It's NOT like a really bad fluorescent light that goes dark for half a second at a time; it's a constant, very fast flicker. Sometimes it's really bad, and sometimes it's subtle.

Thanks for any help.