cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with GTX 780 TI Matrix Platinum

abelicious
Level 7
Hey guys, I recently flashed my BIOS back to the original version (80.80.34..00.33 P2083-0030) after using skyn3t's BIOS.

If any of you are using the same card as I am, I'd like to know the max stock GPU voltage under 100% load for the card.

Am currently using GPU Tweak 2.7.9.0 and my max GPU voltage under load is 1173 (sometimes hitting 1185 but won't be for long). I'm wondering if that's the original max voltage for the card because I want to know if i screwed somewhere while flashing back the skyn3t's bios to the original.

Thanks in advance, am new to overclocking. Answers are appreciated!
16 REPLIES 16

Nate152
Hello abelicious

That seems about the right voltage, my old 680's voltage stop at 1.175v no matter what the voltage I set in precision x 16. The Matrix is the top of the line gpu for ROG gpu's and being it is a Matrix you can probably raise the voltage higher as long as temps allow. I'm pretty sure it's capped at around 1.210. If you have GPU Tweak installed you can raise the voltage there to see. Keep an eye on your temps, 85c is the highest I like to see for a gpu. Your matrix 780ti has a LN2 mode but that is for liquid nitrogen cooling and probably shouldn't fool with that on air cooling.

If you are able to raise the voltage this will allow you to get higher clock speeds which = more performance. 🙂

Thank you so much for the reply Nate!

Yeah the gpu tweak slider stops at 1.210V. But Nate, the thing is that my 780 Ti matrix platinum cannot go more than 1.173V no matter how much I raised the voltage in gpu tweak. I've read somewhere that 780 ti matrix platinums are voltage locked. Example I've pushed the slider in GPU tweak to the max (1.210V) but it only showed 1.173V under load in gpu tweak.

It's really hard for me to overclock and release the full potential of this card, and the fact that I paid so much for this card just to be voltage locked pains me. If you have any solution or workaround to fix the voltage locked issue I'm all ears Nate.

Am currently stable on 1132(1210 boost) /7050 in gpu tweak. (kinda sad I know)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
LLC will drop your load voltage right? especially if you are stressing the card so you will never see a reading of 1.210 under load unless you disabled LLC...

Hey Arne thanks for the reply. Mind to explain what LLC is? Sorry I'm not very familiar with the terms. All I know is that I'm running on air on stock bios. No matter how much I adjust the slider I can never increase the voltage. It's capped at 1173/1185 (rarely)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sorry so used to some acronyms forget to explain sometimes. LLC = Load Line Calibration...basically a mechanism to protect the core. It drops voltage when the card is under full load so that any spikes during transitions from lower to highest activity is not going to overshoot the set voltage.

If you set 1.210v, LLC will always make sure that the load voltage is lower than this, allowing for temporary spikes to come up to the 1.210 level....so if you measure voltage you will see less than you set on average.

If you disable LLC you would get 1.210 through the GPU core with the disadvantage that spikes could rise above this level.

It's like the overflow on your bath...it's below the max level of the bath so when you fill the bath and then get in it, you getting in doesn't overflow onto the floor...the bath has made sure that no matter what, water won't go over the side...

abelicious
Level 7
Hi Arne, thanks for explaining. Been looking for the LLC option in my gpu tweak 2 and I cant seem to find it. I don't remember the normal gpu tweak has that option too. Also I've not seen the nax voltage used in the monitor tab to hit 1.210v, only 1185 with 1173 most of the time under load, which is weird.

I thought my card was underperforming because 1132 core clock (1210 during gaming) boost and 7050 on the memory is pretty disappointing with the voltage maxed in gpu tweak. Is that OC range on air normal for my card?

Would you also be so kind to tell me where and how can i disable the LLC for my matrix platinum? Am currently using the lastest asus gpu tweak 2.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I can't help with GPUTweak I'm afraid...I have never liked it and only ever used it a couple of times...

If the option to disable LLC was there it would show up but I guess it's not? or you have to switch to LN2 bios if those cards have that?

I have always preferred Precision X or Afterburner....you could investigate one of those....clean uninstall GPU Tweak first...unless there is some specific reason you need GPU tweak for that card?

Decent guide here for comparison...http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/09/22/asus_rog_gtx_780_ti_matrix_platinum_video_card_review/3#.V...

Makes your results seem about what they should be

🙂

abelicious
Level 7
Hi Arne, you mean I cannot adjust the voltage for my matrix platinum unless I switch to LN2 mode? I don't plan to go on that mode as I am running it on air.

Weird, a card that costs so much but is voltage locked. I have tried Precision X and Afterburner, both of them don't have the option to disable LLC if I remembered correctly.

The link you showed me does not post the screenshot of the voltage of the card in GPU Monitor which is hard to compare lol.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, I'm pretty sure those cards are locked (as Nvidia wants) to a maximum 1.21v

LN2 BIOS needs some hardware tweaks as far as I remember...like removing resistors so not for the average OCer.

Seems stock BIOS locks LLC ...

Very few cards allow you real access to voltage these days....always have to void your warranty with BIOS or hardware tweaks....only occasional odd versions like kingpin editions let you play...