cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V extreme vs X99-E WS

iamthewizard2
Level 7
i've always owned an Asus Rampage type motherboard and at the end of the year im gonna make a new build once again with an Asus Rampage V board. MONEY WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE WITH THIS NEXT BUILD

But one of my friends suggested that I buy this Asus motherboard instead: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99E_WS/

when I saw the specs it got me thinking - wow this thing can go quad x16/x16/x16/x16 on all PCIE 3.0 lanes whereas the Rampage V can't and considering im gonna do least 3 way SLI this board got me thinking 'Why isn't this the flagship motherboard for Asus?' everyone talks up the Rampage V as being the flagship gaming board but this board seems superior in almost every single way....

am i missing something here? is there any reason why I 'shouldnt' choose this board over a Rampage V???

EDIT: I mainly do gaming on my rig with a little photoshop editing every now and then.
8 REPLIES 8

kkn
Level 14
the ROG boards are mainly aimed at hardcore OC.
but menny uses it for gaming too.
there are component parts that have a higher grade of quality on the ROG board then the normal boards have, this to give the rampage and its OC bether "performance" ( its what they say ).

tbh, take the option that will suit you bether, thats my advice.

if you have plans to do a 3 way sli, why not use one of the current GPU ( if nvidia ) and run it as physx?
that way you will run the 3 cards in full sli and dont have to run the CPU or last card ( in 3 sli ) as physx? ( just a tought )

Onimax
Level 8
Depends on what you want to do with your rig.

The X99-E WS uses a bridge chip to offer additional lanes of PCI-E. However these additional lanes only "exist" between the PLX-Chip and the attached peripherals.
If peripherals have to communicate with the CPU, it still comes down to the PCI-E bandwidth available on your processor.

So performance wise you add another circuit to the neighborhood which means increased signal length, on the other hand this does not so much kick in when using SLI for example, as the data send to the cards is the same anyways. (But can be a limiting factor if you use many PCI-E peripherals of different origin at the same time, like sound cards, USB/SATA extender cards, PCI-E based storage devices etc.)

OC-wise the R5E is clearly the way to go - you can customize nearly every setting you can think of.

To give you a short conclusion:
If you are not that much experienced or interested in OCing and tweaking then the R5E is probably not your board, as it can easily frustrate novice users, but once fine tuned there is really not that much competition imao.
The X99-E WS is more like the easier to setup and care-less-about-configuration brother in the X99 line. (after all the WS stands for "workstation" if I am not mistaken?)

If you are just looking for a decent "plug in and run" gaming motherboard, you might also want to take a look at the TUF Sabertooth:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X99/

Hope this helps. 🙂

Korth
Level 14
The R5E is basically the Mount Rushmore of X99 motherboards, if you want enthusiast gear then it's an excellent choice.

The X99-E WS really offers no advantages over the R5E unless you want to pack that x16/x16/x16/x16 capability with workstation cards to do some serious number crunching. It has the same 3-way/4-way/quad SLI limits as the R5E in terms of graphic/gaming performance, PLX might be able to split and multiply maximum lanes but at the cost of added signal latency - the R5E would always have equal or better SLI/CF performance, although perhaps by a very small margin. The extra lanes on the WS might offer a wider range of possible options for PCIe-form-factor storage devices, if you need tons and tons of ultra-fast parallel storage.

Both mobos have the same Asus OC Socket, so they'll have essentially the same DIGI VRM phases, electrical hardware, heatsinks, and EUFI/BIOS firmware to drive it. Both have the same audio, USB, LAN, etc. The R5E ships with a useful 3T3R WiFi accessory (and now also a USB3.1 card), the WS doesn't. The WS supports JEDEC ECC DDR4, if that's your thing, but the R5E doesn't. Both mobos support the same Core-i7 and Xeon-E5 processors. I expect (hope) that Asus would work hard to support "workstation" products, but I don't know if they do. The "flagship" R5E has aggressive support for extreme DDR4 and general gaming hardware, and I expect that it will continue to command the lion's share of Asus attention until they release a newer and better "flagship" product. You'll find a lot more setup, overclocking, and troubleshooting guides/info for the R5E than for the WS. And these mobos have different styles and colours. The R5E's ROG red angularity is cool enough, but I personally find it somewhat garish and gamey, I would much rather prefer an R5E with the slick glossy/matte black WS look.

But if you don't really plan to use 4-way multi-GPU support and enthusiast overclocking madness ... the basic Asus X99-A is also a fine mobo and (just like the WS) it also has the same Asus OC Socket plus the same pile of onboard hardware. Perhaps not quite as robust when pushed to the extremes, but also a whole lot less expensive.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Vlada011
Level 10
If someone have more than 2 or maybe 3 cards I think X99 E WS is even better option.
Simply Rampage 5 EXtreme have that stupid USB 3.1 Port card and that could be problem if someone have i7-5820K and some nice sound card.
From other side X99 E WS have normal USB 3.1 connectors on back side and you don't need to install in x8 slot only for two USB 3.1 ports.
You see plan is 3 GPU and I would definitely go in that case with X99 E WS USB 3.1 because it's funny to someone buy that board for single card.
If they plan to work as server board probably is very good on longer period.

I am also drawn between these two boards.
Would I be able to get by running a Rampage X99 board versus the X99-E WS?

This PC is exclusively build for a racing simulator running iRacing.

I run 3x30" Dell screens at 7680x1600 at around 100-150 FPS.

Before anyone mentions VSYNC, in this particular sim it will add steering input lag that is not acceptable to be competitive.

Would running at this resolution and frame rate saturate a 3.0 PCI-E bus with two 980ti or PASCAL Titans in SLI. I am looking at the Broadwell 6850 for CPU when it is available in the next several months.

Other add in cards that will be in the PCI-E slots.
GTX740 running two accessory monitors

ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Intel 750 400gb PCI-E SSD

gene-iv-ocz-rev
Level 7
I'm not sure about video but I know the disk IO that I had by trying to use an OCZ Revo3x2 240GB in the slot on a Maximus VI PLX chipped lane PCIE slot using the 4770K sucked so bad I took the card out and used only 1 of the 2 I had until I upgraded to the RVE and 5820K. Now I use both and they rock 3GB/s in wintendo 10 stripe.

Somehow I think using PLX for video will suck.

samboy87
Level 9
well it's already been proven that 16x vs 8x doesnt make any diffrents in performance. RVE is aimed for hardcore overclockers and hardcore gamers, it's the ''most opened up board of them all ''Asus motherboards''. PCI-E Speed doesnt make any diffrence in performance aslong as it's (Gen3) the (Gen) is the performance diffrents.

from Gen 1 to Gen 3 is a big leap in performance but 4x , 8x and 16x speed in gen3 doesnt make a ''Huge diffrence'' so don't fall for the 4x sli in 16x busspeed or 16x16x8x or 16x8x8x. and to use 4 graphic cards in SLI is just plain stupid. from 1 card to 2xSLI gives the best boost, with a 3rd card you get another boost but not as much as with the second card ''Performance wise per card'' a 4th card wont give you a huge benefit or leap in performance and you wont be able to hit 100% from the 4th card, it's just a waste of money to be honest. just my advice 🙂

here is an example ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA

Vlada011
Level 10
Both boards are nice...
Advantage of WS version is Internal USB 3.1.
Except that Rampage 5 Extreme is little nicer inside case when you build everything.
I would save 100$ and build everything on Rampage 5 Extreme, except 4way SLI.