New ROGer Array

5.1 audio with a toslink adapter

Yeah i own this g74sx,i was thinking about this since i got it,so i never could get a yes or no answer,i wanted to use the laptop with my home theater but my receiver its old and it doesn't have a hdmi in/out,but it does have an optical one so i ended up getting a toslink adapter just to see what would happen.i plugged the toslink in the headphone jack right away i noticed that the optical light didn't turn on red(when this is plugged into the xbox 360 it does light up red)went to windows sound/realtek digital output properties/supported formats/encoded formats/both dts & dolby did play in their own 5.1 channels,before this i tried this with a rca adater1/8 to male rca audio but only could get left,center,right,both rear speakers sounded at the same time no separation as with the optical cable it did separate every channel,so i don't know if i'm hearing true 5.1 audio or something else.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

That's a very long sentence! I'm sorry, but I can't tease out the question....is there one?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

let me see if i understood, lol:

1. you don't have a receiver with the HDMI interface
    2. you bought a toslink adapter
    3. you don't know why the optical connector is not functioning so you used the spdif interface of the adapter in order to connect to the receiver BUT you don't know if what you're listening is true 5.1 or a stereo front mix in the front and back speaker.. am i correct?

a) in order to have the optical functioning with the adapter installed, open playback devices and you should have optical out, or something like as the default speakers.
    b) make sure the same speakers are listed on the device manager
    Last edited by 380mcn; 12-14-2011 at 08:26 PM.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

But the G74SX doesn't have a dedicated optical out, so wouldn't all of this be associated with the mini-toslnk out?

We shouldn't have to work this hard to figure out somebody else's question! lol! |

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    We shouldn't have to work this hard to figure out somebody else's question! lol! |
    Lol, then let Asus people do it.
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

New ROGer Array

Ok here's a shorter question then. Does anyone know if G74sx has S/PDIF out on it's 3.5mm port?
    Last edited by dpad007; 12-14-2011 at 10:21 PM.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

If it does, that'd be news to me. I've never seen S/PDIF OUT advertised as a feature for any G74SX system, anywhere.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    If it does, that'd be news to me. I've never seen S/PDIF OUT advertised as a feature for any G74SX system, anywhere.
    neither do i. if it is a requirement one should have bought the AW or the MSI..

ROG Member Array

G74SX does have a mini toslink, in the oudio output jack, it works. But, I don't know how to set it to play as 5.1. I just can do 2 speakers...=]
    ASUS G74SX-3DE
    Intel Core i7-2820QM @ 2.2GHz
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    nVidia Geforce GTX 560M 3GB DDR5 VRAM - 192 bit - With 3D Vision
    Blue Ray Burner
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230
    17.3" 1920x1080 FULL HD
    BIOS - 203
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate