cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX Sudden shutdowns (overheating?)

Korboal
Level 7
Hello.

I have ASUS G750JX computer, which I bought for ~1.5 years ago. Recently I have had some problems with it. I got suddenly restarts several times (4-5 times in 2 months). I tried to reinstall Windows (hoping to fix this problem too) but it got restarted the very same day I reinstalled Windows. So I thought that it is probably overheating and took a look at my CPU and GPU temperature. I was surprised to find out that my normal CPU temperature (when I don't do anything at all) is about 50 C degrees (for example right now it is 60C, and I only have my browser opened), while GPU is totally normal - about 40C. While using Skype - my temperature of CPU got to about 80 C, until I ended my call.

So then I tried to play usual games. My CPU got to 80-90C and GPU up to 92C after playing only for 30-40 minutes (game I tested is "Star Conflict", got sudden shutdown in another game too - "Battlefield 4"). Of course it was a pretty heavy game and I got my settings set to best (including best FPS possible). Other games run better - CPU is ~80C, GPU - ~60C.

So I got a question - is it normal temperature or do I need to repaste my CPU/GPU or something? I tried to write in service and ask them if they could help - but I only got an answer to send the product (I am not even sure they read my problem). If I send my PC to the service will they somehow repair it (because it is hard to test that computers shuts down - it happens too rare to notice it in 1-2 days) or will they charge me money because they didn't find anything?

Thank you.

P.S. My temperature after 40 minutes of playing - http://i.imgur.com/dfpOOZx.png , could be worse if I continued playing.
P.P.S. I don't have any overclocking. And everything was normal until some weeks ago...
3 REPLIES 3

Maxter
Level 9
The CPU seems a bit high. I know the GPU should last up to 105C before it shuts down. I think CPU's usually go for 95C (depends on the CPU). Check what's your CPU Tmax. Mine is i7 4700hq (Tmax = 100C).
Seems like lots of people have been having cooling issues lately as well and they've been re-pasting (Youtube will be your best friend here). Unless you are sending the computer in WITH USING the original warranty, I would do everything on my own. If they find nothing, they'll charge you the time they spent looking for a problem.

Korboal
Level 7
Maxter wrote:
The CPU seems a bit high. I know the GPU should last up to 105C before it shuts down. I think CPU's usually go for 95C (depends on the CPU). Check what's your CPU Tmax. Mine is i7 4700hq (Tmax = 100C).
Seems like lots of people have been having cooling issues lately as well and they've been re-pasting (Youtube will be your best friend here). Unless you are sending the computer in WITH USING the original warranty, I would do everything on my own. If they find nothing, they'll charge you the time they spent looking for a problem.

My CPU has max. temperature of 95C, so it is lower than yours.
Yeah, I saw that many people had problems with their temperature, that's why I asked if service could help or should I try to re-paste on my own. I have my original warranty but I don't know if they say that I have too high temperature or they just won't find anything. So if anybody of you has any experience with re-pasting in service - did they do it or they didn't find anything?

Karmikal
Level 7
I had the same issue as yours 2 weeks ago. I've applied Arctic MX4 thermal paste (best in my opinion) on CPU/GPU and I've also replaced the thermal-pads from graphics memory modules with new ones capable of a 6W/mK heat transfer (the higher, the better).
I'm using the 'NoteBook FanControl' software as well (Asus Zenbook UX32LN - Profile) before running any CPU/GPU-intensive program/game, to force fans run at 100%. It really helps cooling down the temps as fans usually start spinning once CPU/GPU reach a specific temperature (on Auto they start spinning at like 70 °C or something like that).

Having like 30-40 °C on Idle and 40-65 °C on Full-Load now.

My advice is that you should really do something regarding your temps, repaste and/or use a fan control software (one capable of controlling both fans, such as the one I'm using). I've found my graphics thermal-pads melted down and my notebook has been on the edge of getting damaged.