Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting Win 8.1 install

Sycheuk
Level 7
Here's my setup:

MB: Asus RVE
CPU: 5960X (stock)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Pt 8x8GB 2666MHz C15
SSD: samsung SM951 512GB (and 850 Pro 1TB for storage)
GPU: Titan x (3 way SLI)
PSU: Corsair AX1500i
Case: CL Merlin SM8
Cooling: Custom, copper hardline, EK, bitspower and xspc fittings and blocks with one 480 and one 360 rad

The main problem here is the installation of the OS onto the m.2 drive. A couple of months ago, I built another x99 system (asus deluxe w/usb3.1) with the XP941 and had a good deal of trouble for several days before the MB decided to played nice and the OS install proceeded without a hitch. Now with the RVE and sm951 (going on 10 days) and using Chino's tutorial, the initial circling dots go on anywhere from 15 min to 2 hours. After clicking start, EULA, and Custom install, the system usually hangs 2-3 hours before giving error code 0x80300002 (... Please check your media drive...). The board came with BIOS 0603, but after 2 days, I bumped it to BIOS 1502. Now I've tried 1401N and currently using 1302 and starting to suspect a buggy board.

I've also tried installing the OS onto the 850 pro with the intention of copying it over to the M.2 drive after the installation was complete. the installation was painfully long >12hrs and when installation was complete, the system hanged after restarting.

Please ask any questions if I was vague anywhere in the problem description.

Thanks!
Sycheuk
21 REPLIES 21

Chino
Level 15
1. Is your Win 8.1 Pro x64 an official, untouched copy?

2. Are you installing from a DVD or USB pendrive?

3. Are you installing in UEFI mode?

4. Is your RAM running at the default 2133MHz or the advertised 2666MHz?

Sycheuk
Level 7
Thanks for the reply Chino!

1. Official copy (at least I hope so, cost $179 on amazon)
2. I was initially using an external dvd, but switched to a USB pendrive.
3. Yes
4. RAM is running at default 2133MHz

Chino
Level 15
Correct.

Try remaking your USB pendrive installation again. Use Rufus. Also make sure you're connecting the pendrive to one of the USB 2.0 ports. Proceed to remove all your memory modules except for the one in the DIMM_A1 slot for now. See if the installation completes.

Sycheuk
Level 7
I created an ISO using the install DVD and copied it to a USB pendrive using Rufus and connected it to the USB 2.0 port on the I/O backpanel. Removed all DIMMs except A1. Started the install under BIOS 1301 and got the same error code: 0x80300002. Tried it again, same result. Reloaded BIOS 1502, same result. Cleaned the disk via Shift-F10 and attempted to reinstall: 0x80300002. Could the M.2 drive be faulty?

Chino
Level 15
Try converting to GPT. When you open the command prompt with Shift + F10, do the following.

1. diskpart
2. list disk
3. select disk x (where x is the number of the disk to convert)
4. clean
5. convert gpt

Sycheuk
Level 7
Thanks again Chino!
Unfortunately, this message was given after the 'convert gpt' command:
"DISKPART has encountered and error: The device could not be partitioned because of an I/O device error. See the System Event Log for more information."

Sycheuk wrote:
Thanks again Chino!
Unfortunately, this message was given after the 'convert gpt' command:
"DISKPART has encountered and error: The device could not be partitioned because of an I/O device error. See the System Event Log for more information."

Try disabling CSM.

Navigate to the Boot tab and look under the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) section. Disable the Launch CSM option.

Sycheuk
Level 7
I've also made several attempts to OC using the "EZ tuning wizard" using both the tower air cooler and water cooling options, but the OC always failed. The idle temps are usually 30-33C (ambient temp is 23C). Before installing the parts in the case, I made a check to see if the system was booting and had a noctua tower cooler (NH-D15) installed. The EZ tuning software also failed, but since it was booting fine, I went ahead with the install, thinking I could figure it out after the OS installation.

Sycheuk
Level 7
Disabled the Launch CSM option and proceeded with OS install, but ended up with the same error code (0x80300002). Entered in the CMD Prompt and attempted to clean and convert to a GPT partition, but was given the same CMD prompt I/O device error. I tried the install again but was given the same error code again.