cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help Overclocking I5 2500K & P8P67-m pro

edge1
Level 7
hey everyone,
I have some problems overclocking my i5 2500k, Im trying to overclock it to 4.5Ghz.
i have upgraded my bios to 3701 (latest bios available from asus website).

i cant get it to be stable,
i even tried to oc it to 3.9ghz (from the 3.7 stock) but everything im doing i cant get it to be stable when im running Prime95 in blend mode.

my system:
intel i5 2500k
(got an aftermarket cooling system)
asus P8P67-m Pro
kingston 4x4gb 1600
radeon HD 7850 OC
power supply thermaltake tr2 rx-550.

thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi edge1:)

Does P95 run stable at stock settings?

edge1
Level 7
yeah at stock settings Prime95 run without any problems.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm...and if all you do is increase multiplier to 39 it becomes unstable? What temps are you getting at idle and at load stock? Your RAM is one kit or two kits?

I'm also wondering about that PSU...19A on the 12v rail might not be great for OCing and running prime? I don't like the way they market it as quad GPU ready....http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=c_00001556

edge1
Level 7
yeah, if i increase the multiplier to 39 it become unstable.
temps at idle around 35c and under full load (prime95 running) around 55c

about the RAM its 2 kits, i thought that was the problem so i took one kit out and try running with 8gb of RAM and it didnt work aswell. (i even tryed it with only 1 stick of 4Gb and didnt work aswell)
i think the problem is around the core voltage. ill printscreen the settings i do in bios and ill post em in here soon.

thanks for the help 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, two kits of RAM is likely to cause problems. Make sure you separate the kits by serial number and try one kit at a time. Don't combine the kits for now while you're figuring out what is going on with the CPU OC.

Really you should be able to set defaults in BIOS (press F5 and then f10 to save and reboot) don't set XMP for now just to rule that out as creating problems...then set multiplier 38, 39 etc and see what voltage AUTO sets and if that is stable...

If you have another PSU about...maybe a larger one I would try that out.

edge1
Level 7
ok i took out 2 sticks of RAM and switched to other PSU that i had around (older one, tarmaltake Qfan 650W)
ive set the multiplier to 39 and everything else was on auto.
CPU-Z show me that the core voltage was around 1.36 (something like that)
Prime95 was running less then 3 minutes and then crashed.

im uploading some pics so you could see if i had anything set incorrectly in the bios

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Can't see anything incorrect but I see C states disabled etc. I wonder if it would be best to set optimized defaults just so everything is completely stock and then play with multiplier...while disabling spread spectrum...

kkn
Level 14