cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about cloning my G750js hdd

Mike_Barnhill
Level 7
I just bought a new Kingston savage 480 GB ssd to put in my G750js. I'm going to be using Acronis to clone the drive and was wondering since I have two drive bays if the best way to do it would be to put the ssd in the second bay clone it then swap them out. Should I format the drive first or does Acronis do that for me. Will Acronis copy everything including the hidden partitions. Will my bios auto detect my new ssd. What possible issues may I run in to. Things have changed alot since the last time I did something like this and am trying to get some insight on it. Thanx...
6 REPLIES 6

code9523
Level 9
Acronis will format the drive before cloning and should clone all partitions if you select it. Your bios should auto detect your new ssd if no you can flash the lastest version. Also you can install backtracker and make a recovery 16gb drive with windows you have on recovery partition.
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

Maxter
Level 9
I would recommend to avoid cloning and transferring to SSD. Everyone I know, including myself, has had issues with that method. The best way is to get ASUS backtracker and use it to perform a clean install in the SSD.
Steps I took:
1) use ASUS backtracker to get info from HDD into a 16GB USB flashdrive
2) remove HDD, install SSD into bay 0
3) restart computer and use flashdrive to clean install OS into SSD (BIOS recognizes SSD fine - you could enter BIOS and check that it's on AHCI mode, which it is by default)
4) start OS and perform all necessary updates
5) add HDD into bay 1
6) transfer some/all personal files to my documents
7) make sure that the SSD has the recovery partition (~20GB)
😎 format HDD
9) install LOTS of games on HDD

Ok I used backtracker and put the system on a flash drive. I removed the hdd and put in the ssd. Powered up the computer and nothing happened. Could not get computer into bios . Removed ssd and reinstalled had and computer still will not boot up. I have lights but nothing else. Hdd light is not on though. What do you think happened and how do I fix it.

If you remove both HDD and SSD, you should still be able to boot from either CD or flash drive. Try downloading UBCS (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) on another computer and burn the image into a CD. Place this on the CD bay and start the computer. It should go straight into the CD OS with or without SSD/HDD in their respective bays. If this doesn't happen, you might have a problem with the MoBo.
You did discharge yourself before opening the computer, right? (I usually touch the sink faucet and then avoid touching carpet on my way to the laptop - no shoes or socks). They also sell a wrist band for controlling shocks into computers.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Do a fresh install. Feels new. ;3

Maxter
Level 9
Assuming you removed static electricity from yourself before opening the laptop (and thus removing killer static electricity), I would try doing a hard reset.
Replace the HDD (make sure it's installed correctly into Bay0). Check that the RAM modules have not been moved at all. Turn computer on, then hold the power button until the computer forces to turn off. Remove battery. Press power button to remove all electricity from computer. Replace battery. Turn computer on.