Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501JW - GPU throttle at 74 degree celsius

kaps26
Level 7
Hi everyone.
I've been using G501JW for two months.
There's a problem with modern and some old games.
about 5 minutes after the start of the game (e.g. GTA 5) at medium
settings (optimal according to nvidia experience) the temperature of the
graphics card rises to 74-78 degrees, while the GPU core frequency falls from
1029 MHz to 405 and the number of FPS drops by about a half.
Drivers are updated regularly. The current version of the graphics driver is 353.30 WHQL.
BIOS is also the newest of today (BIOS 206).
I bought a cooling pad with a good blowing, but it almost did not affect the
situation, since the bottom of the laptop has no cooling holes. The growth is only ~ 2
FPS.
The problem is the same as in this thread, but with the model G551JW: link .
the technical support doesn't send me a new BIOS but advises to take the laptop to an authorized service center.
do all the owners of this model have the same situation or just me?
32 REPLIES 32

serialgign
Level 7
I have the same problem. GPU throttles bad at 74C and it makes playing competitive games really hard.

I think ASUS just set the throttling temp too low.

serialgign wrote:
I have the same problem. GPU throttles bad at 74C and it makes playing competitive games really hard.

I think ASUS just set the throttling temp too low.

This is clear.
but how to live with it?

I think, the more users will turn to technical support, the sooner they will start to solve the problem ..

serialgign
Level 7
Well I just contacted the support, we'll see.

You could try modifying the vbios (which is part of the bios on this laptop) yourself, but that's kinda risky and you may void your warranty

dienow
Level 7
they incerease the cap to 79C but still performance drop and signifcant underclock to 980.1. dunno but to me its still good, but yeah i dont like fps
drops on my game.

serialgign whats the support saying?

serialgign
Level 7
They recommended a bios update (although I told them I already had the latest version) or a recovery. Not really helpful ...

serialgign wrote:
They recommended a bios update (although I told them I already had the latest version) or a recovery. Not really helpful ...

funny asus guy , well im gonna ask them for some beta bios that caps the gpu up to 80~C up , i hope they do make it ,
its not affecting the game but the performance of the game. i hope u guys help me by requesting the same thing .

kaps26
Level 7
all the answers of the support are in the style of Jen Psaki and make no sense. this is sad..

kaps26 wrote:
all the answers of the support are in the style of Jen Psaki and make no sense. this is sad..

sadly our only option for now is to decrease the cpu power . to reduce the temp.
i know some game may affect for this but there's no option for now.

Yes, reducing the frequency of the CPU reduced the temperature of the GPU. GPU frequency is now almost stable ~ 1079 MHz. but the FPS in GTA 5 is also not stable and bugs have not gone away. Now what's the problem? CPU throttling! ??