cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb first build

DeaconJ
Level 7
Hello all,

New to this forum and am getting ready to build my computer this weekend with my son. I have actually 'built' several computers by salvaging older computers to take several and make one, but this will be my first from scratch with new components.

I know that this isn't the newest and best out there, but I was looking for deals on quality components. Some of the items were rated high before the new technology came out. I chose an ROG Motherboard simply for its quality, rating and features.

Here is my build that will commence on Saturday morning

Computer Build
• Intel Core i5 4590 CPU
• ROG Maximus VI Gene Motherboard
• EVGA Geforce GTX 750ti SC 2g GPU
• EVGA 500B PSU
• Gskill Ripjaw 8x2 (16gb) DDR3-1866 Memory
• Zalman CNPS10X CPU Cooler
• Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB OS Drive
• WD Green 2TB Storage
• Seagate 1TB Scratch and backup storage
• LG 24x Super Mulit DVD drive
• Cooler Master Silencio Case

The 2 hard drives are the only items that aren't brand new, but they aren't that old. I do plan on an array of SSD's in the future as finances allow.

My primary use will not be gaming as I am an amateur photographer who likes to use Lightroom and Photoshop with a little graphic design with InDesign and Illustrator thrown in the mix. I do also have Adobe Premier Elements and have just started dabbling with video editing. But, I mainly wanted a solid computer with quality components.

Thanks for taking a look and any tips (or critiques) you can think of to pass my way would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
DeaconJ
12 REPLIES 12

kkn
Level 14
TBH, i would take a 650W psu, mabye modulare ( dont end up whit the spaghetti mess of cables that way ).
and mabye silver graded.
this is becose the PSU is the heart of the system.

Thanks for the input. Is 500 not enough? When I plugged everything into partspicker it showed that these items would use about 278 watts. I don't plan on overclocking. Also, the cable management was one consideration, but the case is enclosed with no view panel and has enough room under the last drive bay that I can stuff the extra cables into.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Looks good to me....get a good PSU...as kkn says it's the heart of the system...don't save money there...and I would get an SSD. Much much faster makes things more snappy and pleasurable...is going to up your performance in Photoshop and lessen your workflow completion time.

Work on the SSD and then storage on the HDDs

As for the PSU - I can get a Corsair - CX Series Modular CX750M here in town without waiting for UPS of course. I just thought a 500w Bronze got good reviews.

I do have an SSD in the mix as the OS drive (and programs).

Thanks again for the input!

DeaconJ

DeaconJ wrote:
I do have an SSD in the mix

So you do 😮 don't know how I missed that...

Yeah, would much rather see that 750 PSU in the mix

kkn
Level 14
they list "estimate power usage" in those "calc's" its not always 100%.

a 500W 80% bronse will give you aprox around 480W or less.
Efficiency = > 85%

Nate152
I would go with the 750w psu that way if you ever decide to upgrade your graphics card and do some gaming you will have the power to do it.

For about 35.00 dollars more you can get the i5-4690k which is an overclockable cpu. You will need to update the bios to 1505 or later for the maximus vi gene to recognize devil's canyon cpu's.

Nate152 wrote:
I would go with the 750w psu that way if you ever decide to upgrade your graphics card and do some gaming you will have the power to do it.

For about 35.00 dollars more you can get the i5-4690k which is an overclockable cpu. You will need to update the bios to 1505 or later for the maximus vi gene to recognize devil's canyon cpu's.

Well, I have everything in hand already, so I'll go with the CPU I have. It was actually a motherboard/cpu bundle from Newegg which allowed me to save (with a rebate) about $75. I don't think I will be overclocking things right now, but may upgrade in the future.

Thanks

01_Wolverine
Level 12
you will need a i5 4960k to overclock. intel k cpus are overclockable.

You are on the right track, to get familiar your computer first