cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

94℃ in BIOS, below 40℃ in CoreTemp/HWMonitor. Broken temperature sensor or BIOS?

diablocy
Level 7
TLDR: CPU temperature show 94℃ in BIOS and AI Suit 3, but below 40℃ in Core Temp and HWMonitor. I've upgraded/downgraded BIOS and reinstall CMOS battery to clean.

Motherboard model: Rampage V Extreme (X99) U3.1

UEFI Version: 1401 and 1502

CPU: i7 5930k

Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C15

GPU: EVGA 980Ti SC * 2 SLI

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: Kingston Digital HyperX Predator 240 GB PCIe

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

USB Devices (model/version number): Thinkpad keyboard with trackpoint

Monitor: EIZO EV 3237

CPU Cooler: CoolMaster 280L

PC CASE: InWin 909

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Activated yes

Drivers Installed (include version): ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 5 and latest driver from auto upgrading.

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: CoreTemp HDMonitor

System Overclocked (provide details)? No, default settings in BIOS

Issues:

I've just received my ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme and I'm happy to install it in my new PC. But after constructed, it always show "CPU Over Temperature Error" while booting.

At first, it seems a cooler issue which I change the liquid cooler (CoolMaster 280L) into wind cooler. But the error still pop up. And every time the temperature is either 84℃ or 94℃ in bios. I install the windows7 and tools from ASUS, it also show 94℃ in windows7. Then I reinstall the CPU, add more/less thermal silicone, this error is same. The most stranger thing is that the bios will show 94℃ even after cold boot which I can touch the top of CPU and know it's cooler and no way to 94℃.

At last, I install HWMonitor from http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and cputemp from http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ which show the temperature reading from CPU is below 40℃, but the tools and bios will show 94℃ which read from temperature sensor in motherboard instead.

I want to know whether it's caused by BIOS or temperature sensor. It seems BIOS is reading the tj.max maybe.
13 REPLIES 13

Chino
Level 15
Which method did you use to upgrade/downgrade your BIOS? And which method did you use to apply your thermal paste?

GoNz0-
Level 10
either a faulty board or chip, you can be sure the readings wrong as all cores and package temp are normal. start by swapping the board. or ask the seller if you can return CPU and mobo to have them diagnose if you got them both from the same place.

did you look at his pictures Chino?

40 core and 95 CPU isn't possible.

diablocy
Level 7
Thanks for your quick responses!

@Chino, I'm using Tool in BIOS and select the BIOS from my USB devices. Not EZFlush. About thermal paste, just my finger ;). I've use 2 different liquid cooler (CoolMaster 280L and Crosair H100i) and wind cooler (forget the name), the temperature always 94℃.

@GoNzO-, I can touch the metal part of cooler, it's not even hot. So I thought it's mobo issue.

diablocy wrote:
Thanks for your quick responses!

@Chino, I'm using Tool in BIOS and select the BIOS from my USB devices. Not EZFlush. About thermal paste, just my finger ;). I've use 2 different liquid cooler (CoolMaster 280L and Crosair H100i) and wind cooler (forget the name), the temperature always 94℃.

@GoNzO-, I can touch the metal part of cooler, it's not even hot. So I thought it's mobo issue.

Please remove your CPU for me and inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins. If none are found, proceed to install the CPU and thermal paste. For thermal paste, use the dot/rice method. If you're not familiar with it, look it up on the internet. Then install your heatsink for me. Then clear your CMOS using the button at the back of the motherboard. Turn on your system and look inside the BIOS. What temperature do you see now?

GoNz0-
Level 10
no two ways about it fella, all the CPU temps are spot on for your chip, don't know who you bought it from but if it is amazon you can get an advanced RMA to save downtime, for now I would disable the CPU temp monitor via BIOS and get on with it.

trumpy81
Level 7
If it's any consolation, I am seeing a discrepancy in temps between CoreTemp.exe and OC Panel reported temps. For me the error is exponential, at 35C the error is 1 or 2 degrees, but at 50C the error is 6 or 7 degrees.

This discrepancy only appeared for me after installing BIOS 1502, there were no issues with BIOS 1401 with both temps being within 1 or 2 degrees different across the full temp range of my CPU.

I would suggest that you re-flash the BIOS using an earlier version BIOS file and check if you still have an issue with CPU temps.

If you do, then I would RMA the board or ignore the issue as others have suggested.

diablocy
Level 7
@Chino Just did what you mentioned and also replace the CPU from my friend, the issue is still. 😞

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would immediately wonder if AI suite was scre**ng things up and uninstall it and run removal tool and then maybe reflash or change BIOS

diablocy
Level 7
@Arne, I don't think so. You can see even in HWMonitor, the temperature read from MB is 105℃ and no mention the one in BIOS. Anyway. I brought it from computeruniverse which is impossible to send it back.

Maybe just ignore this temperature :(.