Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Package & Core Temp + Max Working Temp

Fannwong
Level 8
Hello all,

I got 2 questions.

1. My 5960x is OC-ed at 4.4ghz with 1.198v on the cores. I run Lightroom processing daily for 3-6 hours which will push all the cores to 80-100% on 4.4ghz. It runs about 60c-66c (I live in the tropics) when processing files. I was wondering if I could push it at a higher to run it close to the 70c threshold. Will this be ok? I read 5960x official max temps and it says 66.8c. Will a 24/7 temp of 70c ruin the processor?

2. However HWiNFO shows CPU Package 73c max temp when the cores are 66c, it's a 7c difference. Should I be looking this temp instead for a safety gauge?

Thanks again!
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15
1. I doubt anyone would be able to answer this question. The general rule is to keep it as low as possible. As a sidenote 4.4GHz at 1.2V isn't bad. If you invested in some better cooling, you could get those temperatures down to overclock your CPU further.

2. I mostly use HWMonitor as that works for me.

Hello Chino,

Thanks again for the quick help.

I'm currently running the Corsair H110 so that's pretty much maxed out atm. I did hardcore WC in the past (480 radiators etc) but it was too troublesome for maintenance. I'm probably going to turn up the AC and/or get 3000RPM Noctuas.

Chino wrote:
1. I doubt anyone would be able to answer this question. The general rule is to keep it as low as possible. As a sidenote 4.4GHz at 1.2V isn't bad. If you invested in some better cooling, you could get those temperatures down to overclocker your CPU further.

2. I mostly use HWMonitor as that works for me.

GoNz0-
Level 10
I can answer that, always take the highest temp, even if you are not sure. BIOS and AI Suite take motherboard temps, CPU Package and core temps are read from the CPU so you want to use those.

With good cooling you can push it into the 80's none stop but ensure you have good case ventilation and a water cooled solutions preferred for constant stress from an application like lightroom to stop you dumping the heat into the case.

3 hours gives you a very good upper limit and for the tropics I wouldn't worry about those temps.

Hi Gonzo,

Thanks for the advice and insight. Much appreciated. 😄

GoNz0- wrote:
I can answer that, always take the highest temp, even if you are not sure. BIOS and AI Suite take motherboard temps, CPU Package and core temps are read from the CPU so you want to use those.

With good cooling you can push it into the 80's none stop but ensure you have good case ventilation and a water cooled solutions preferred for constant stress from an application like lightroom to stop you dumping the heat into the case.

3 hours gives you a very good upper limit and for the tropics I wouldn't worry about those temps.