cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upated Nvidia drivers now screen black, can't see any ROG/BIOS/OS - solved

Richdog
Level 7
Well, I was browsing on my ASUS G751 and a message from Nvidia Geforce Experience popped up saying new drivers were available. Having done the same process several times I told it to do an Express install andlet it do its thing. What happened then was it went through the install and then suddenly my screen goes black. All I could see was the white cursor when I moved the trackpad. Crap.

So I reboot, and somewhat unbelievably, I can't see ANYTHING, not the ROG logo, BIOS screen, it's all black. Once the screen boots to the windows screen I can then move the trackpad and see the white cursor again, but other than that NOTHING. I can't even see to boot into safe mode!

Please please help me figure this out without doing a reinstall of Windows... and no I didn't make an ASUS recovery USB. 😞
4 REPLIES 4

Gamenab
Level 7
Well at least I can try to help people who have this problem that is related to the new NVIDIA kernel drivers (Unfortunately poor written, worst coding)
The only way to resolve this issue is to delete the nvlddmkm.sys for that have few ways.

Forcing to boot into the advanced options.
Hold power button, turn back off and second time power button.
Recovery mode of Windows will launch auto
Or booting into the repair mode (with usb or cd Windows)

Launch cmd prompt
cd C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
Del nvlddmkm.sys
and reboot (If first boot blackscreen, reboot)

You should be able to access to windows and reinstall NVIDIA drivers

Or

Choose System Image Recovery, ignore what it said (no recovery)
Load drivers (ignore that too) just use the explorer to go
to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and there click right, delete nvlddmkm.sys (ignore the fact that the file is still visible, it is really deleted, you need to refresh with going back to system 32 and again back to drivers to see that the file is not anymore available)
an reboot.

Or use USB freedos and do the exactly same thing than the cmd prompt

You should be able to resolve the problem like that and reinstall the NVIDIA drivers.

Gamenab wrote:
Well at least I can try to help people who have this problem that is related to the new NVIDIA kernel drivers (Unfortunately poor written, worst coding)
The only way to resolve this issue is to delete the nvlddmkm.sys for that have few ways.

Forcing to boot into the advanced options.
Hold power button, turn back off and second time power button.
Recovery mode of Windows will launch auto
Or booting into the repair mode (with usb or cd Windows)

Launch cmd prompt
cd C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
Del nvlddmkm.sys
and reboot (If first boot blackscreen, reboot)

You should be able to access to windows and reinstall NVIDIA drivers

Or

Choose System Image Recovery, ignore what it said (no recovery)
Load drivers (ignore that too) just use the explorer to go
to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and there click right, delete nvlddmkm.sys (ignore the fact that the file is still visible, it is really deleted, you need to refresh with going back to system 32 and again back to drivers to see that the file is not anymore available)
an reboot.

Or use USB freedos and do the exactly same thing than the cmd prompt

You should be able to resolve the problem like that and reinstall the NVIDIA drivers.

Ok I managed ot get back into Windows by pressing the power button to turn on, then immediately pressed until off, and then turned on again. This seemed to clear the issue.

I think the problem was that the laptop was never really shut off, iut just kept going in and out of sleep mode, but as I couldn't see the screen I didn't realise it. When I finally got it to shut down properly by hard powering off that seemed to clear the issue.

Thanks for helping me fix it, even if the issue wasn't exactly what you thought... I followed the first part of your tips and it led to the solution. 😄

No problem 😉
I saw few users with the same issue that could resolve with what I was explaining just before.
Hopefully it help few of you, even you didn't have the same problem ;).
Enjoy

2menijulia
Level 7
thank you sir for the help.it was the only way for me to go to repair mode..

as usual many many thanks

anyway...if my system32 is showing X drive and not C drive..this is not my main windows right? i think this is different one coz program files folder showed blank and only showed less than 1GB... is this the reason why i cannot find the said file to delete?

does this mean my windows is lost or repair mode cannot find windows on SSD? coz my windows is on SSD