Hi Guys

Setup:
Maximus VII Hero
g.skill tridentX series 2x8GB ddr 3 ram
intel core i7-4790K
GTX 660
Mushkin 480GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive - OS is on this drive
500GB hard drive

I recently bought the Maximus VII hero motherboard with new ram and a processor but I've been having weird problems.
When playing games such as counter strike GO I tend to get shuddering and then a complete crash where the screen freezes and the sound loops for a couple of seconds.
The crash would tend to happen within 15 minutes or so of playing the game, but now its happening even sooner.
Now randomly the screen will go black where only the monitor's default screen saver will appear and then return to normal.
I've tried everything I can think of to fix the problem such as updating every driver I can find and switching games to different hard drives.
I have no idea where else to even start but I imagine its a motherboard problem as after installation is when the problems began to occur.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys
21 REPLIES 21

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi CdrMittens and Welcome to ROG

First question, Are your DIMMs a single kit of 16GB or 2x kits of 8GB ?
Run Memtest 86+ from a USB stick to test your DIMMs.
Have you OCed the system at all? If so what changes have you made?
Have you run a stress test to ensure system stability?
What is your OS?

Report back and we can take it from there.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

LordofPressure
Level 7
hi CdrMittens,
I have the same Board VII Hero and the same CPU i7-4790K, but other DIMM's , SSD and grafic-card. I had an shut-down-crash during an test ,but not so extreme.
you can see in my PC Specs.

At first : reply the questions , they are written by MeanMachine.
Then tell us your BIOS Version. Which Bios Version is actually on your System.

Maybe we can help us reciprocal , to fix it for everyone

CdrMittens
Level 7
Hey thanks for the quick replies.
I have two separate ram sticks in A2 and B2 like the manual suggests.
I have not OCed the system at all, everything is just set to auto.
I haven't run a stress test or Memtest 86+. I assume you would just boot Memtest 86+ from the bios? I don't know how to do a stress test.
I will google it after this.
I am using Windows 7
My BIOS version is 2401 x64

What is also weird is I played Civ V last night for hours with no problems at all.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi CdrMittens

1. If your DIMMs are two different kits, even of the same specs. You may run into problems!!
2. You will need to run a stress test to establish stability. Use Prime95 for 10-15 mins on small FFT whilst monitoring temps.or better still use Realbench or even Aida64. Constantly monitor your temperatures using Coretemp.
3. You should test your Dimms as a single module or single kit, (do not mix kits) using Memtest86+. You need to load it on an empty USB stick and boot from the USB.
4. Latest Bios is 2702. Recommend you update for 5th-Generation Intel Core Processors. Go to ASUS support and follow the instructions.
If you are not sure for the best and safest method, Just ask.

Go to : http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

LordofPressure
Level 7
hello CdrMittens,
He (MeanMachine) is correct in saying about different DIMM manufactors can make problems. Asus Maximus VII Hero Mainboard is very delicate of this.
It's better you look on Asus-download page at rubric memory-accessories and take a look on the supported memory QVL for supported memorys.
BIOS V. 2401: as far i can remember , both Bios versions 2401 and my V. 2201 are laid up from Asus-website.
The Memtest86+ isn't difficult , you only need to take it on a bootable device (for example CD or usb-stick).

CdrMittens
Level 7
hey MM, sorry I misunderstood you. The ram is the same I thought you were asking if they were one stick or two, I got them together in a kit.
I will run the stress test tonight and update the BIOS and let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks again for all the help.

CdrMittens
Level 7
Hi Guys
Sorry for the long time between posts, jobs been busy.
Anyway, I updated the bios an that didn't seem to solve any problems.
I also tried to run Memtest86+ from a USB but I just get a "missing operation system" screen and can't get out of it.
I tried running realbench and about a minute into it my CPU temps were hitting 100C so I stopped it due to fear of damaging my processor.
I'll probably buy a new CPU heatsink as I am using the stock one currently due to my last one breaking.

Do you guys know why Memtest 86+ would give me that error?
Any other suggestions I should start looking at?
Thanks again

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi CdrMittens,

Sorry to read about your problems.

What was the CPU cooler that had broken? For a CPU air cooler, I recommend at minimum the CM Hyper 212 EVO for all "stock" settings over the Intel boxed stock cooler. The stock Intel cooler may be part or all of your problems, particularly if your case doesn't have adequate air flow.

What PSU are you using in your PC? If it's insufficient at providing adequate power, it may be a problem as well.

CdrMittens
Level 7
Hi Ntwlf
it was an old watercooled one that just died, I don't remember what brand exactly. I'm using the stock box set one that came with the 4790K.
I'm looking at getting the Corsair Hydro series H50, I'll probably get that next week.
For my PSU I am using the XFX black edition 850W power supply.