Windows 10

System Overclocked (provide details)?

• CPU multiplier: 45
  • VCore: 1.35v
  • XMP Profile #1: 2133MHz, 9-11-11-31, 1.65v
  • CPU Current Capability: 170%
  • CPU temp w/AIDA64: 68 celcius @ 2 hours

Issue

I bought a Rampage IV Black Edition mobo a little over a year ago off Amazon. My computer's been randomly restarting for the last few weeks; more often when I have a flash video playing, game open, or I'm trying to run some type of benchmark. No errors anywhere, no BSOD, just a sudden restart mostly at random times.
It would restart always during the following:

• Direct3D 9 ALU Assessment in Windows 7's experience index test.
  • 3D Graphics DirectX11 test in PassMark's PerformanceTest.
  • Memory Threaded test in PassMark's PerformanceTest.

Things I've tried that haven't worked:

• Default BIOS settings
  • No overclocking
  • Above overclock settings
  • Updated BIOS
  • New graphics card (Tested on GTX 660, GTX 750, and GTX 970)
  • Reseated CPU
  • Reinstalled flash
  • Reinstalled graphics drivers
  • Reinstalled Windows (from 7 to 10)

Not sure what else I can do to locate the source of this problem.
When reading up on the crash during the Windows Exeperience test, a lot of people had success with replacing the PSU.
When reading up on random restarts with the Rampage IV Black Edition, a lot of people had success with RMA'ing their board.
Doubt Amazon would let me RMA the board after a year. Thoughts on any way to definitely determine what's causing the restarts?

Edit: Also, not sure if it helps, but my mobo takes ~30 seconds to post. Seems really slow.
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi BBPanda 🙂

Boot time is fine...disable stuff you are not using in BIOS like Bluetooth AS media chip etc. To soeed things up a bit...but X79 is complicated so needs some time to boot.

Have you tried setting CPU current capability to 160 or 170%... Common safe fix for sudden outages. I would try another PSU too if you have access to one...

Amazon will accept an rma as long as it is in guarantee and they have an email from ASUS authorizing it

Lastly of course there is the point that windows10 is beta of course....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi BBPanda 🙂

Boot time is fine...disable stuff you are not using in BIOS like Bluetooth AS media chip etc. To soeed things up a bit...but X79 is complicated so needs some time to boot.

Have you tried setting CPU current capability to 160 or 170%... Common safe fix for sudden outages. I would try another PSU too if you have access to one...

Amazon will accept an rma as long as it is in guarantee and they have an email from ASUS authorizing it

Lastly of course there is the point that windows10 is beta of course....

Disabled everything I can in boot and enabled fast boot, still takes ~30 seconds. If that's normal then I won't worry about it.
I tried CPU Current Capability at 160%, 170%, and 180%.
The restarts started in Windows 7. They've continued in Windows 10.
I'll see if I can get another PSU to test with and report back once I've done that.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah boot time is normal...

One thing....I experienced sudden outs after updating my BIOS via EZ flash once...I had to reflash BIOS flashback method and all was well all of a sudden..

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46802-please-i-need-help-with-Rampage-Extreme-iv&p=398383&v...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yeah boot time is normal...

One thing....I experienced sudden outs after updating my BIOS via EZ flash once...I had to reflash BIOS flashback method and all was well all of a sudden..

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46802-please-i-need-help-with-Rampage-Extreme-iv&p=398383&v...

The restarts started occurring before I updated my BIOS and I used the flashback utility to update to 0801. Will be ordering an EVGA SuperNova 1000G2 PSU; I'll post back once I've tested with that installed. 😃

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

BlackBeltPanda
Level 7
Good news!
After installing an EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 (1000w PSU), the problem is fixed!
I have no issues running any game, benchmark, or stress testing software; even while overclocked.
My post time went from ~30 seconds to ~2 seconds. Total boot time is now only ~5 seconds. =D

How to get the post time to 2 sec? The post time with my board is 18sec?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40