cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most Optimal Daily Usage OC Settings for 5960X & 2800MHz DDR4

ejlover
Level 7
Greetings,

First of all, this is my first message in here and forgive my English because it's not my first language :sarcastic: I've read many topics in this forum before but now I'm the one who needs some help 😞

I've just gathered the system below for 50% gaming / 30% daily routine / 20% large-scale optimization problem solving purposes:
ASUS Rampage V Extreme
Intel i7 5960X
32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR 2800MHz / CL14 1.35V
ASUS Nvidia GTX TITAN X
Corsair H100i cooler
Corsair HX1000i 1000W PSU
with Kingston 480GB HyperX Predator PCIe X4 M.2 SSD (1400MB Read / 1000MB write speed)
Corsair Carbide 500R mid-tower case
and I've installed Win 8.1 Pro.

I've upgraded the bios and all drivers and software to final versions & downloaded CPU-z, MemTweak, Memtest, RealTemp, Prime95, 3Dbenchmark etc. (Checked the rams with memtest for 3 cycles at 2133 no problems with the rams)

My first priority is to have a "silent" running system for now (in the future when this system fails to run games at an acceptable fps I'll consider overclocking it to push the limits of the components). So I'm not after heavy OC'ing 😄 But I want to find the most efficient configuration of clock speeds for the RAM & CPU without increasing the noise level and power consumption in idle (by keeping the turbo function or adaptive settings active) :rolleyes:

Here are the things I've tried and problems/questions I've faced:

- Selecting XMP profile always overclocks the CPU too. There is no option on the bios to select it not to do so. I think it tries to balance the blck value of RAMs to CPU, as a result CPU clock also rises. But this makes the computer unstable and causes random freezes and boot problems with "overclock failed" messages.

- XMP profiles always leave the volt in 1.2 and computer doesn't boot. I had to adjust V manually each time I've selected a XMP profile.

- Noting down all the values set by the xmp profile and manually entering them without overclocking the CPU also results in same results as the above.

- I've used the EZ wizard in bios to make an automatic overclocking. It raised the base clock of CPU from 3000 (100.2x35 - - 9.1W) to 3060 (102x39 - 1.151 V - 23.9W) and and turbo from 3500 to 3994. Also RAMs has been raised from 2133 to 2400 (14 / 15 / 15 / 39). Are these values correct for 2400MHz? This is the most stable setup for the max speed I could achieve with the rams and had no problems so far under stress.

- I've also tried the AiSuite's 5-way optimization to clock the CPU around 4000 (100x40 - 0.799V - 11W). This setup also rises the RAMs to 2400 but also not stable. Probably because of the false CPU clocking.

Core Speed(turbo) Core Voltage CPU Power(idle) DRAM freq
default: 3498 - 9.1 W 2133
EzWizard: 3994 1.151 V 23.9 W 2400
AiSuite: 4000 0.799 V 11 W 2400

Summary of my problem is: Only stable automatic overclock I've got is by the bios EzWizard (silent fans, turbo active), but it seems that its power consumption is too much for a speed of 3994. Am I wrong? AiSuite hits 4000 with only 0.799V as nearly close the the default value (is it why that mod wasn't so stable?).

I've also read that I'll loose turbo function if I set the bclk to 125 (to use rams over 2400MHz). Is it possible to activate power saving through AiSuite to run CPU at lower speeds while in idle? I don't want it to run always on the max value but I also want to use my rams at their top performance when needed.

Can someone who has 5690x and a 2400+ DRAM please tell me the clocking values for CPU where I can keep the turbo function on and have a silent PC as long as its not overloaded. All the values I've found are for extreme clocks with insane cooling systems and lots of noise from the fans just to hit the top power.

Thanks again.

Since I'm a newbie in overclocking (I've always used my components in their standard values until now) I need your help to make a configuration to the CPU and RAM speeds without increasing the fan speeds and keeping the turbo function active (does it have any negative effects on performance? Because it seems to be the only way to keep PC silent in daily usage and boost the performance whenever it's needed) to get the most out of this system under these conditions.
What settings should I use in BIOS and in AiSuite? Please don't forget that this will be my first OC attempt 🙂 Your help will really be appreciated 😄

Thanks for your time to read this and thanks for your support :cool:
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
2800 XMP is probably playing with your BCLK...

I would think about running 2400 instead (Or 2666 if you want). Input this speed manually and maybe input XMP values for first and second and third timings manually too. This way you can leave your BCLK on 100 . Then you might be able to tighten timings later. Maybe the sticks have a second XMP profile for one of these speeds?

Anyway...you'll find you are much better off overclocking manually. Allt eh software OCing is based on catch-all voltage levels that often leave you using more voltage than needed and running hotter..

I would aim for 4.0 or 4.2 GHz daily OC.

Just set multiplier 40 or 42, Disable Spread Spectrum and disable svid support for CPU and RAM, and then try some manual voltages to find stability...start at 1.25v and work down...dropping 0.01v at a time untill you are unstable running something like RealBench stress test.

Once you have found your min stable voltage....lets say you end on 1.2v for 4.0 ghz...just plug 1.2v into "aditional turbo mode CPU core voltage" field when you change manual voltage to adaptive.

Start simple like that....

XBrookieX
Level 7
quote, Selecting XMP profile always overclocks the CPU too. There is no option on the bios to select it not to do so. I think it tries to balance the blck value of RAMs to CPU, as a result CPU clock also rises. But this makes the computer unstable and causes random freezes and boot problems with "overclock failed" messages.
I also have this issue on mine too so I don't use it, which is a shame as I only have 2133mhz ram speed opposed to XMP 2666. Zero issues with any Hardware just seems to be getting the right settings to work from cold boot.
default bios settings mine is silent and reliable.
Would be good to see someone's actual full settings setup that is reliable on sleep, cold boot, quiet until temps require otherwise and max out games. fingers crossed.

Menthol
Level 14
Some RAM XMP settings are at 100 blck, I have a GSkill 3200mhz CL15 with XMP settings 100 blck, GSkill 3000mhz kit with XMP settings 125 blck, both sets run at 3200mhz with a blck of 100. I think what Arne is saying is set XMP then set blck to 100 then set RAM speed to 2400mhz, or you can do all that manually, or you can use a memory profile from within the bios if you know the manufacturer of the chips on your modules

Korth
Level 14
Slightly OT, but I have a roughly similar system with roughly similar priorities ... as does a friend of mine. And I have been utterly impressed by his BeQuiet DPP11 1200W Platinum PSU, it remained completely *silent* and stable no matter how we tried to stress, abuse, load, and push it. I'd recommend this beast if the OP still wants a silent system and finds that Corsair 1000W doesn't put out well enough during overclocks.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ejlover
Level 7
Thanks for all answers. Buying a new component is not an option all bought 😞

There are only 2 XMP profiles one for 2666 other for 2800. Both rises the bclk to 127.3 😞

As long as someone suggests a low power consuming, stable, daily-usage friendly and with a less fan noise setup I'll go with the default settings in bios 😞

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
So set 2666 XMP profile...copy down first second and third timings and then set up yourself manually. You don't have to use the profile just get the info from it and then take over the settings yourself...which is the better way to OC anything.

With the timings you can set 100 BCLK yourself....select 2666 for memory speed...input timings for first second and third and then choose whatever multiplier you like for the CPU OC

Ok Thanks I'll give it a try 😉 But last time I've tried this for 2888 settings (in which I've copied all of - nearyl 30 - the the DRAM settings) with a 100 bclk and 30 mult. but system was not stable 😞 This time I'll only copy the 3 timing settings 😉 I hope that will work 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Some kits simply don't allow much headroom for overclocking so trying to run 2800 kit at 2888 will be more difficult than running it at a lower frequency. If it has a 2666 profile that is cool...just take settings (Primary, Secondary and Tertiary timings)

When in BIOS press F5 for defaults press F10 save and exit

Back into BIOS...set XMP 2666...you should then be able to go to DRAM timing page and copy Primary secondary and tertiary timings.

Again press F5 and F10 and then set up manually...

See how it goes

Leave CPU at stock for now...

Praz
Level 13
Hello

There is a good reason why the 125 strap is used for some XMP profiles. Memory dividers from 2600 -3000 are broke on the 100 strap. On the 100 strap most CPUs can use 2666 without issue although some will require manual tuning for full stability. 2800 and 3000 memory dividers will be plug n' play with very few CPUs. 2600 and 2933 are completely broke and the knowledge of the architecture and the patience required to achieve stability with these two dividers are beyond the scope of most users.